New trunk seal, now I can't close the trunk

-

68 CUDA FORMULA S

Reaction score
I have just installed the new trunk seal on this 74 Scamp "same type seal the D shaped one" and now I can't close the trunk, look at the pictures I can't close it more than that. Have any of you had this problem and if so what was the fix or I am open to suggestions.
Thanks
Bob

183.JPG

184.JPG

You may need to simply adjust the latch a little.

I have documented this problem several times. If you did not use a Steele Rubber Co. seal then that's the problem. The aftermarket seals are not as soft/compliant.

I struggled with the same problem.

Save yourself the headache. I hate to see you waste money, but scrap that seal and start over with the right one.

Search Results

No I used Metro part #TK 56-B/18 which is the correct D shape but wow way to high. It is nice and soft but still way to high. Thanks for the suggestion Rusty but in order to adjust my trunk latch I would need to add about an inch or two of metal to the bottom of my latch in order for it to reach. I also looked up Steele's seal for the 74 Scamp and they show a different type of seal just like the one that's on my Barracuda which is not like the one I took off of this Scamp, and Soffseal is the same way although they do not show a picture they just state that is is the same for the early Barracudas which is not the D shape. I did contact the company that I bought this one from but I do not expect to hear from them until next week.
Thanks for your replies
Bob

Wow, that is big. I'm sure you removed your own seal so you are aware of how much larger it is. My 71 Scamp looks like this and seals very well. It is apparently a totally different style of seal. So that is obviously way more seal than required. Now a thought I had is that is hollow and has an air chamber and I was thinking it wouldn't allow it to collapse as it was pressured up. I have seen seals with little holes along them to allow for this. Seeing that seal (and being as cheap as I am), I would likely try running a razor along the outside edge and slicing it all the way around before I replaced it. If that allowed the trunk to close I would be happy. But most people would probably just buy a new seal of a different type.

IMG_3861[1].JPG

IMG_3862[1].JPG

IMG_3863[1].JPG

Last edited:
I like the color myself Mike, the paint was a little darker than I first wanted but after it was all painted I really like it now and so does everyone else. Ok enough said, believe it or not the company that I bought this seal from has already contacted me tonight and asked me for the length of the seal and they are going to ship me the one that is like the one on the Steele site and on my Barracuda. Talk about customer service I didn't think anyone was like that anymore. Once installed I will let you guy's know if it works or not.
Thanks for all your replies.
Bob

If it is any consolation my 69 Barracuda Metro seal finally relaxed for a nice fit, but it also started to separate at the transition turn on the lower corners were it is spliced. I keep the trunk area out of the direct sun as much as possible when it is not open to keep it from welding to the lid. Steele rubber is in the near future!

I see a difference between the 2 scamp seal pics. the new seal is placed up against the trunk lip and the other original is laying down in front of it. Maybe this is causing your issue. I did the same when I did my seal and had to redo it and drop it down to lay in front of it....if that makes any sense

Did you mount it correctly? It does sit pretty high.
C

Yea it makes sense. There is no V lip on this seal, the seal on my Barracuda has the V lip but if you look at the end of this seal it is in the shape of a D. I have clamped it down with thin pieces of wood and let it set for over a week and it just pops right back up, I also used a hair drier and wired the trunk down as far as I could get it but once I lifted the trunk lid back up up popped the seal. Like I said this seal is real soft, I just think it's to tall. I am going to try and drill some vent holes in it before I replace it so the air can escape when I shut it, I have seen some seal like this on some newer model cars it's worth a try. At least the company that I purchased it from is going to send me the V shaped one just incase it does not work.
Bob

Just because you removed a seal that looked like the one you put on doesn't make it right. Could have been replaced incorrectly any time along it's 40+ year life.
Sofseal was the mfg that I had problems with the first time, then I bough then next cheap one....Metro. Just the wrong material and too thick.

If they fail you, just bite the bullet and your problems will be solved. Steele Rubber Co.

The seal I used at my 67 B'cuda trunk is the D on a U channel type. Came from a Ford truck door opening. Works very well.
Before this thread I didn't know of any A-body having other than the duck mouth / V type seal.
The final years of A-body, especially Dusters, were different in a lot of ways so I'm not surprised.
And that seal does look like it could be installed 2 different ways.
Subscribed to learn something. Good luck with it.

many of the A bodies I parted out just had a flat seal and not the V or D shaped seals. I know the flat one is correct because it had a Mopar part #. What is the correct replacement seal?

The L< profile is correct for the typical A-body. A 75 Valiant Brougham had the same. The Duster aint typical body wise.
And this seal will look like a simple rectangle strip of rubber when the < collapses. It wasn't a long life design. That's why I went for something different.
Going a little off track here to share a memory... During my childhood I saw quite a few trunk seals torn up on all sorts of vehicles. One item seemed to be a trunk seals worst enemy. That was the push mower body.

The company that I bought this D shaped trunk seal from has sent me a different seal, they sent me the V shaped one at no extra cost. It showed up yesterday in the mail and I had some time today to install it. It went on very nice and now my trunk closes with just a little bit of effort which I am sure it will compress a little bit after sitting closed for a while. Thanks for all who contributed with this problem which does not exist anymore, case closed.
Bob

Good on the company that made it right for you. Want to tell us what company it was?
C

-
Back