New tv’s and the permissions they ask for.

-
This paranoia, while true is entertaining.

Now imagine having phone calls cut off-disconnected because people listening to your phone call heard your family member ask you for classified information. All because uncle George asked how deep your submarine can go-and you and uncle George cannot call each other back for the rest of the day.

New tech or processes come out, and suddenly somebody with a high clearance sent money directly overseas to China which originally set off alarms and monitoring.

So now that you bought a chinese rubix cube (2004?) for your family member through PayPal through eBay, every other email you receive is duplicated and people you email ask you why you are sending duplicate emails.

You have echos on your phone calls(multiple effing phone calls), where you cannot hear your mother talking to you.

You report classified information on YouTube and YouTube is disabled for 30 minutes.

If the big gov wants you, they got you.
Commercially, that’s what I was complaining about (here on FABO) when I refused to share my phone number online-Ebay still got it without me.
We can see you, 2nd day in a row you've worn that grey T-shirt. Change it!

I find it more than a little amusing that people here are using smart phones, computers and the internet to complain on a virtual forum about the ‘evils’ of smart TV technology.

Learn how it works, adapt and modify so that it works how you want. A ‘Smart TV’ is just a computer monitor connected to the internet. Don’t want it to be, then don't connect it to the internet. It doesn’t need to be connected to hook to your cable, dish or DVD and work as a display screen.

Want all the features of the internet connection without the extra stuff? Then modify the controls to work how you want and only connect to what you want...the way you want.

For every spying intrusion possible, there is a countermeasure that makes it impossible. You can’t get the best of what technology offers without being willing to deal with the worst of it.

A little condescending tone to your reply. You like it all, have at it, YOUR CHOICE AND OPINION.
Some people/members here DONT like it with JUST reason(s).
You like it? Then back your virtual crayons and keep coloring.

A little condescending tone to your reply. You like it all, have at it, YOUR CHOICE AND OPINION.
Some people/members here DONT like it with JUST reason(s).
You like it? Then back your virtual crayons and keep coloring.
Hmmm..don’t like dissenting opinions? I call them like I see them. My opinion is every bit as JUST as anyone else’s. Insults don’t bother me.

We can see you, 2nd day in a row you've worn that grey T-shirt. Change it!
When up for his clearance renewal, one of my co-workers (a civilian contractor for Northrop Grumman) was told by the investigating DSS agent to give his foreign bank account information (he married a Scottish woman back when the SSBN submarines ported in Scotland regularly)
They admitted that they could not track his money in a foreign bank regularly.

The first phone call was on base, imagine all the privacy thousands of young men thought they had talking to their ladies or men-which was monitored (from base).

And then getting lectures from NCIS about Chinese viruses (originating from free junk mail envelopes containing the first USB drive memory sticks) sending back everything sailors had on their personal computers (which should NOT have had anything to do with work...)

I hope those NSA bums struggle with my satellite internet and POS modem as much as I do.

I don’t think I’ll buy digital refrigerators, toasters, microwaves, ever. I have been looking for another one of those early GM refrigerators since I saw this 90 year old lady with one when I delivered meals on wheels 25 years ago-awesome garage beer frig if I ever find another.

Last edited:
When up for his clearance renewal, one of my co-workers (a civilian contractor for Northrop Grumman) was told by the investigating DSS agent to give his foreign bank account information (he married a Scottish woman back when the SSBN submarines ported in Scotland regularly)
They admitted that they could not track his money in a foreign bank regularly.

The first phone call was on base, imagine all the privacy thousands of young men thought they had talking to their ladies or men-which was monitored (from base).

And then getting lectures from NCIS about Chinese viruses (originating from free junk mail envelopes containing the first USB drive memory sticks) sending back everything sailors had on their personal computers (which should NOT have had anything to do with work...)

I hope those NSA bums struggle with my satellite internet and POS modem as much as I do.

You don’t think I’ll buy digital refrigerators, toasters, microwaves, ever. I have been looking for another one of those early GM refrigerators since I saw this 90 year old lady with one when I delivered meals on wheels 25 years ago-awesome garage beer frig if I ever find another.
Time for living off grid?? "wanted, Dodge Ram Cargo Van" .... :)

No smart phone/ no cell phone period. Land line in another room that I only answer if one of the kids calls.
no TV,no stereo.
This computer is on a hard line, and I only visit a few sites on the net. And yes the camera is covered.
Am I paranoid?
I sorta have to be; I don't know how much longer I can say things like; FlatEarth and there ain't no escape-rapture; before they label me a terrorist and come to get me. Oh you think that's funny? They're only coming for one kind of peoples; terrorists; and they can make anyone out to be a terrorist, because they make the definitions up as they go.
Anyone who doesn't toe the line will be designated terrorist, anyone preaching truth; terrorist. Got a gun; you terrorist. Speak against the man;terrorist. Won't bake a cake for a gay-marriage or officiate it; you a baaaad terrorist. You talk trash about a moslem; oh now you've done it,terrorist. Believe in Pro-Life, and speak against abortion; terrorist. And the list goes on....... The hit list is getting longer every day.
Evil is called good and good is evil, Don't agree; terrorist.
Paranoid? no, Realist.
They don't care about our rights anymore. They just want to exterminate us. Healthy old men like me are an anathema to them; I should be chowing down on their poisons called pharmacopeia.Never! I'll die first. I should be a working stiff, going home every night wishing I was dead. Never! I'll die first,lol.
Wait; am I offtrack again?

Am I too paranoid about all the permissions these things ask for? I don’t want to use things like voice recognition and stuff, but it limits the what the tv can do (like Netflix access) without approval. It wants to do Samsung’s version of Siri or Alexa. Just makes me uncomfortable that these things are so advanced. Sort of a rant, but what do you guys and ladies think? Thanks!
Be careful, they can take ur picture too !!! LOL

Hmmm..don’t like dissenting opinions? I call them like I see them. My opinion is every bit as JUST as anyone else’s. Insults don’t bother me.

The problem is your opinion may be incorrect. It has been proven over and over that computer/ smart phones have been hacked and are hackable to enable features such as microphones and built in cameras. as well as data. Bear in mind that some of the largest and alleged "most secure" databases in the world have been hacked, and continue to be, ever so often.

Insults? None thrown. I think what you do with virtual crayons is incredible.
So you are more computer literate than me....does that make you right?? NOT LIKELY. You tell "people" to just turn it off. Not as simple as that. Not ALL work like that lol FOR A REASON. Cuz what they are doing is illegal.
Dissenting opinion(s) no problem.
Condescending attitude can **** off.(from anyone) For example "I find it a little amusing".... sounds like a little smug for me lol.
When technology invades our privacy...and it does, I and several million others DONT want it.

Insults? None thrown. I think what you do with virtual crayons is incredible.
So you are more computer literate than me....does that make you right?? NOT LIKELY. You tell "people" to just turn it off. Not as simple as that. Not ALL work like that lol FOR A REASON. Cuz what they are doing is illegal.
Dissenting opinion(s) no problem.
Condescending attitude can **** off.(from anyone) For example "I find it a little amusing".... sounds like a little smug for me lol.
When technology invades our privacy...and it does, I and several million others DONT want it.
Ok, reject the technology and don’t use it. That also means you won’t be able to be on this forum anymore. It is all just a choice that nobody is forcing anyone to make.

But if you learn how to use it and control it, you can benefit from the best technology has to offer and minimize the worst...making it a balance that you can live with.

Every technological advance that brings benefits also has a flip side that brings negatives. How you use it and control it determines the ultimate value.

But you can’t demand that it work “your way” or “no way”.

-
Back