Next time you spring for that top of the line Snap-On sheat

-
I just bought a new Snap-On Digital torque wrench and the guy told me it was still made in U.S.A. is this true?

Snap on is feeling the heat from the box stores. Harbor freight, husky, etc are all making good quality tools at a fraction of the snap on price. Its just a matter of time before snap on folds if they dont get revamp their business model.
Im hearing that they no longer honor the lifetime warranty without a receipt. How many of you guys have tool receipts from 30 years ago? This will be a class action lawsuit eventually.

I do ! I have heard this same thing about Craftsman. I have no receipts for Craftsman stuff, all of those came hand me down, swap meets, or buying other guys stuff, I guess. I've had the same Snap-On guy, off and on, since my first tech job up to today at my own shop. Over 30 yrs. Now he's having health problem and never comes around. I have some very important tools I need replaced, called him once three weeks ago. Don't want to be a dick, but......

What is that? 10-3? lol
I was just gonna ask that! 10-3 SOJ...Home depot stuff, $2.45 a foot. 10G is good for wiring a 30A receptical. In a triple, bonded together it can do 150A DC maybe but itll get hot. Compare this to 4G welding wire that has almost 4 times the cross section of a 10g (133% of that 10-3) but can deliver 3-500A of juice.Or better yet, some good 1g at 2x the cross section of 4 and a whopping 800A of capacity. FSM for a Chrysler Lebaron with a 2.5-3.1 motor specs the Nippondenso starter draw to be 150-220A.

I was just gonna ask that! 10-3 SOJ...Home depot stuff, $2.45 a foot. 10G is good for wiring a 30A receptical. In a triple, bonded together it can do 150A DC maybe but itll get hot. Compare this to 4G welding wire that has almost 4 times the cross section of a 10g (133% of that 10-3) but can deliver 3-500A of juice.Or better yet, some good 1g at 2x the cross section of 4 and a whopping 800A of capacity. FSM for a Chrysler Lebaron with a 2.5-3.1 motor specs the Nippondenso starter draw to be 150-220A.
Well, the guy DID say he wanted the CLAMPS. He got them. lol

Snap On didn't make the op's tester anyway.

I do ! I have heard this same thing about Craftsman. I have no receipts for Craftsman stuff, all of those came hand me down, swap meets, or buying other guys stuff, I guess. I've had the same Snap-On guy, off and on, since my first tech job up to today at my own shop. Over 30 yrs. Now he's having health problem and never comes around. I have some very important tools I need replaced, called him once three weeks ago. Don't want to be a dick, but......
You may need to go find him.

The Spokane Square D dealer pulled that "receipt" **** on me when I worked for the Motorola shop. Pair of defective AMP RJ crimpers. You can imagine that if you are doing a job and those crimps start showing up intermittent, there is going to be a huge amount of lost time. I WAS ******* LIVID.

I finally got our bookeeper to find ANY pair of those the shop had bought and se managed to find a ticket for a pair, so I took that over to them. I did not mince words with the lost time.

I was told that, at one time, you had to have been a dealer to be the president of Snap-On, but at some point the sales guys took over, and that was the beginning of the end. The same thing has happened to Boeing and other great companies. When the bean counters take over from the guys with a vision who love and believe in what they do, it’s just the beginning of the end. Being a tool dealer was a great job for a guy who loved cars and motorcycles and the technology that it took to fix them. I ate a lot of tools back in the day for my customers, but they were my customers and it was my job to help them make money, not just make myself a living. I made EC payments for the guys I trusted and put it on their RA. Those days died when Snap-On went to franchise agreements. I helped one of my first students at MMI become a Snap dealer and he stayed in it for 25+ years until he was forced to franchise or leave. He was the last dealer out of the Phoenix branch that wasn’t franchised, and he gave it up. Became a Mac dealer for a few years and retired. He made all their sales quotas and quite a few rings and other awards, all while working four days a week so he could have a day to clean his truck, take care of orders, books, etc., and spend weekends with his family. Franchise dealers have to work five days a a week. It was a deal breaker for him. I believe it’s over for Snap-On tools. It’s just a matter of time. Too bad. It was a great company once.

I was told that, at one time, you had to have been a dealer to be the president of Snap-On, but at some point the sales guys took over, and that was the beginning of the end. The same thing has happened to Boeing and other great companies. When the bean counters take over from the guys with a vision who love and believe in what they do, it’s just the beginning of the end. Being a tool dealer was a great job for a guy who loved cars and motorcycles and the technology that it took to fix them. I ate a lot of tools back in the day for my customers, but they were my customers and it was my job to help them make money, not just make myself a living. I made EC payments for the guys I trusted and put it on their RA. Those days died when Snap-On went to franchise agreements. I helped one of my first students at MMI become a Snap dealer and he stayed in it for 25+ years until he was forced to franchise or leave. He was the last dealer out of the Phoenix branch that wasn’t franchised, and he gave it up. Became a Mac dealer for a few years and retired. He made all their sales quotas and quite a few rings and other awards, all while working four days a week so he could have a day to clean his truck, take care of orders, books, etc., and spend weekends with his family. Franchise dealers have to work five days a a week. It was a deal breaker for him. I believe it’s over for Snap-On tools. It’s just a matter of time. Too bad. It was a great company once.
I was a MAC dealer for 28 years and it was a fun ride but I am glad I retired a few years ago. I miss the people but they remain friends and I stop and see them from time to time.

my Dad retired from Snap-On a few years back, he worked at the main office in Kenosha. even when I was a full time wrench, I bought from the tool guys who serviced our dealer. Mac, Matco & Snap-On. became good friends with the Mac guy, he even delivered to my house a few times. they all have their pro's & con's.

I was a MAC dealer for 28 years and it was a fun ride but I am glad I retired a few years ago. I miss the people but they remain friends and I stop and see them from time to time.
Do you just give up your franchise or do you sell it?

Do you just give up your franchise or do you sell it?
I was a traditional distributor, collected my accounts,, sold and returned my inventory, and sold my truck. I just cashed out.

-
Back