NHRA Fuel Cells rules

-

mechanic190

Reaction score
I am thinking about mounting my fuel cell in my car tomorrow and was just looking over the rules real quick and got to thinking. My fuel cell is a 12 gallon unknown brand. It does not have a sump just has two fittings on top one with a standpipe going to the rear of the cell, the other having a "roll over" ball in it. Got to thinking the one fitting with the stand pipe is obviously the suction side and the other one I'd have to figure is the vent? How am I gonna return fuel? I guess run a return fuel pressure regulator would be the easiest way, correct? But mostly I guess I just need reassurance that the one with the check ball is the vent and it is not a vent cap or anything that, when I get it running, will cause a failed tech inspection.

I am thinking about mounting my fuel cell in my car tomorrow and was just looking over the rules real quick and got to thinking. My fuel cell is a 12 gallon unknown brand. It does not have a sump just has two fittings on top one with a standpipe going to the rear of the cell, the other having a "roll over" ball in it. Got to thinking the one fitting with the stand pipe is obviously the suction side and the other one I'd have to figure is the vent? How am I gonna return fuel? I guess run a return fuel pressure regulator would be the easiest way, correct? But mostly I guess I just need reassurance that the one with the check ball is the vent and it is not a vent cap or anything that, when I get it running, will cause a failed tech inspection.

if I am reading your post right, then you are saying you only have 2 fittings in the cell, and both are on top of the cell?

If so then you will need one more fitting for a return line. the one with the check ball in it is your vent, and will need a hose ran off of it to the outside of the car I believe. not sure if it has to be vented to the outside, but I did mine on my dart that way.

if you have a plastic cell then all you have to do is order a bulk head fitting from jegs and install it in the top of the cell for your return line.

and yes, a return style regulator is the best route for you return line. the reccomended route is to feed the carb straight from the fuel cell, come off the back off the fuel log into the regulator, then from the regulator back to the cell. thats the way the quick fuel reg in my car is plumbed.

Oh ok I guess I just misunderstood how a fuel pressure regulator with return works. Sorry for the "slow" moment there.

But yes that is what I am saying about my fuel cell. It has only 2 fittings on it, on top. One with a check ball and the other with the stand pipe. But I guess how do I know if the cap is vented or not? From the general NHRA rules it says the cell must be vented outside the body. Since the cell is used I wonder how the last guy vented it or if he did at all. Just want to be compliant and make sure I pass tech the first time.

Does the one with the check valve have a threaded fitting...or something where a hose or line can be connected to vent it outside the trunk area?

it should be AN style fittings. most of the fuel cells have 8AN size fittings in them. just order a female 8AN and some 8AN fuel line. install the female end on one end of the hose and screw it onto the fitting in the cell that has the check ball in it. you can leave the other end of the hose open and just run it out of the bottom of the trunk. I have mine double check balled. I have the one on the cell, and a bulk head style fitting with a check ball that connects to the trunk floor. the hose screws onto both of them.

vent, ............. will need a hose ran off of it to the outside of the car I believe. not sure if it has to be vented to the outside,

It absoLUTELY has to be vented outside the car

Your also gonna have to seal the trunk from the cabin to avoid fumes/spillage.

X2 ---Read the rules. Aluminum or steel firewall, the thicknesses are specified in the book.

Yep plan on .032 aluminum for the rear fire wall ok thanks for the input I'll just order another fitting for the return and install it in the fuel cell

-
Back