"Nice car"

-
best one i ever had, somebody guy was looking at the dart at a cruise night. he tells me "you have a really nice car, but why did you install a scoop on the roof" :dontknow:

DSC00442.jpg

Another one i get is: I had a Duster just like that, but it was blue and it had
a 250(wtf) six.
Just like it?:laughing:

Or the chevy guy that walks and asks what color is that, puke green and
then walks away. At least he can't see my finger.:finga:

I drove the Valiant in a local cruise once, and some people pointed and snickered, and some had the questioning look of 'Why is a 4 door Valiant in a cruise??', but a lot more people asked me the year, engine size (they're all so surprised that a 4 door Valiant has a V8), and one guy even came close to breaking down in tears while telling me his mother owned a Valiant just like mine. It gets a lot of 'Cool car!' compliments too.

The Fargo, everybody likes. Some people point out that it didn't originally come with those rims and tires (no sh*t!), and try to pick apart every little thing, but everyone is always stoked to see it on the road. It's funny driving next to a big lifted 4x4, and still being taller, with NO lift.

The Dart, I haven't tried to cover up that it's an original /6 car. Its got the scoops, a 340, etc. And in car shows, I never claim it to be all stock. I get lots of 'Nice car!' compliments, and people always give thumbs up, but some know-it-all's still come up and read the VIN and tell their buddy in a negative tone 'It's just a damn /6 car'.

I love it when I hear someone say "Nice car!!!", but they ask you what it is, and you tell them it's a Scamp, they give you this puzzled look on their face...... :roll:

I did the "nice car" thing to a guy I met at a local bank parking lot. It was a 67 Coronet 440 4 door like the one our family had when I was in HS learning to drive. This one was a stocker his grandfather owned since new and he also got his license in it. Strange thing it had AC, PS but no PB and was sporting a 383 2BBL manual trans.

I went to a small car show yesterday in my 68 Barracuda fastback,upon entering the guy hands me my draw ticket.Then he asks me...what year is that?1961?I had a good laugh and told him it was a 68 and that they didn,t make a Barracuda in 1961.He had a puzzled look on his face(he was about 58yrs old)

Dave,usually I just...smile and wave!

I get a lot of people saying they used to have a Duster or their parents did back in the day. Mine is a 71 but people usually ask if its a 73.

I'm not a small talk kind of person so I don't really like talking to non mopar guys about it. I know it comes with the territory of owning a classic but I didn't get it for attention. I got it because I think they look awesome and I hate the cookie cutter look of new cars.

I like getting the "nice car" compliment, get a lot of them but then they hit me with the "It's a Charger, right?" or "Is it a Charger". I know why, the first thing people think when they see the orange is "Dukes of Hazzard". One guy told me I'm missing the Bee in the back stripe.

Or the chevy guy that walks and asks what color is that, puke green and
then walks away. At least he can't see my finger.:finga:

the 'finger' comment reminded me of a time just after I painted my Scamp- I was cruising down the road and I met a guy in a Chuvy 4x4. He gives me a big 'thumbs down' through the windshield as we met. I gave him a big 'finger up' out the side window as he passed.

I love it when I hear someone say "Nice car!!!", but they ask you what it is, and you tell them it's a Scamp, they give you this puzzled look on their face...... :roll:
I finally quit correcting people when they call mine a Swinger.
I did get mad at the guy who questioned me having a 'Plymouth' front license plate on my car, when it's a Dodge. Obviously he'd know better than me.

I like getting the "nice car" compliment, get a lot of them but then they hit me with the "It's a Charger, right?" or "Is it a Charger". I know why, the first thing people think when they see the orange is "Dukes of Hazzard". One guy told me I'm missing the Bee in the back stripe.

My cousin has a 72 Duster painted in Hemi Orange with a black hood, and people always comment on that 'sweet orange Charger' my cousin has.

It's a bit of an oddball car, as it has the 70/71 tail lights, but everything else is 72, including the marker lights, and title. It was originally a Gold Duster with snakeskin roof, on the front half of the roof, and A pillar. He bought it from the original owner. When he had it painted orange, it was stripped down, and no signs of changing the tail panel over were visible.

My 70-76 duster gets a lot of bizarre comments. Its just parts from all years of Dusters put together to mostly look like a 70. It has the soft sunroof, folding seat and pretty near everything else they ever had. If this thing was real, it would have 7 trim tags!
Well it usually gets the reaction I was after at shows. Things may have changed, but back then most serious Mopar guys stuck to the B/E platforms and looked at the others as simply parts cars or winter beaters. They didn't really know much about A bodies. They would stand and stare at my car trying to figure out what in the world they were looking at. Some would recognize it for the lump that it is, but lots more thought they had seen the only one ever made. Well I guess it is the only one ever made, it just wasn't made in the factory!

Attachments

• DSCF0725.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 229
I get slot of guys look at the car and they are with a buddy see the front ''67'' plate and walk around like they didn't see it, but you know they did and say nice barracuda, 67'right, I joke that I want to put a 68 plate on it to see how many people just say it dumbly

I find alot of people don't actually know what my car is, which is understandable for a 43 year old model car (68 Barracuda) most hardly ever see, I've only seen three others in the neighbourhood in my lifetime. Even people that don't know much about cars or don't care for them will still stare out of curiousity, plus my car is bright yellow and very loud so maybe they have no choice in the matter. But the elderly folks don't need to be told, they know exactly what it is I'm driving. I also find I get alot more respect on the road, everyone keeps their distance and no one tailgates me.

I was sitting at a light and a teenage kid pulls up next to me and says Mister I don't know what kind of car that is but it sure is cool was the best comment I have gotten.

I will be the first to admit that my Dart is no looker (very difficult to restore your daily driver in one sitting) but it lifts my spirits when an old guy comes up to me, with my half assed paint, my odd hood scoop, and my raggity interior; Tells me that she looks good and begins to tell me the story of how long it took him to fix up his old muscle car. I get compliments all the time, along with legitimate questions about the car...and yea there is always the added smile when some little kid is ripping his mom or dads arm off trying to get them to look when I drive by lol.

I just got our Dart out after a total restoration, We have had a lot of complements and thumbs up. The first cruse night we got car of the week. When I park it at a show I wounder off I leave all the questions up to my wife, she hates it
because she gets hit on a lot. Not sure if they I like the car or her. LOL
View attachment cas crust 015.jpg
Kenny

I also find I get alot more respect on the road, everyone keeps their distance and no one tailgates me.
that's another funny thing about my cars- no one will pull up beside my Scamp at a red light, but everyone has to try my Stealth.
Little do they know how backwards that is.

People always say when I tell it's a Duster: And what model? And the word Plymouth is most of the time something they have never heard of......So every time I gladly tell about Chrysler and Mopars and then leave them behind with alot more knowledge than they ever had before about Mopars....

My cousin has a 72 Duster painted in Hemi Orange with a black hood, and people always comment on that 'sweet orange Charger' my cousin has.

It's a bit of an oddball car, as it has the 70/71 tail lights, but everything else is 72, including the marker lights, and title. It was originally a Gold Duster with snakeskin roof, on the front half of the roof, and A pillar. He bought it from the original owner. When he had it painted orange, it was stripped down, and no signs of changing the tail panel over were visible.

I have a similar story about my car: It is an originally new delivered car here in 1970 (Europe, the Netherlands) and has been driven here ever since. It has the Duster 70 grille and short horizontal taillights, but is on the title a Dodge Dart GT Coupe(I think they were of 68-69?)....The title is from 1970 (as well as the model)....and still in use...odd, isn't it? But I guess it has something to do with the fact that this car is equipped with a speedometer in kilometers and was build in Canada for export only, due to the vin....

Attachments

• DSC00028.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC00026.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 144
Well I sure got a lot of Nice Car when I took Bill's Swinger to the gas station to put some gas in.
Guys were driving in off the street to take a look and ask questions.I must of talked for 45 min to the 7 guys who stooped to take a look.
Then I popped into the industrial area to snap a couple of pictures and the same thing.
No young guys just a bunch of old gristle heads like myself talking about how there was one of these old Darts on every street you went down back when we were kids.
The one thing that everyone said was that this was the nicest and cleanest Dart any of them ever remember seeing...
The only thing wrong with talking about Bill's Swinger and listening to all it's accolades was that the Dart wasn't mine...grrrrrrrrr

dart1969.jpg

I got you all beat! :p

Waiting to pull out of a parking lot into traffic while driving my Dart. I have my window down enjoying the spring air when all of a sudden a guy who was 9 sheets to the wind or high on something comes right up to my driver's window. MY first thought was to reach for my "defense" but instead he yells out:

"WOH MAN! THATS A NICE CAR MAN! ITS A DART! WOW I HAVENT SEEN ONE OF THOSE IN YEARS! "

He then starts peppering me with questions like:

"WHAT YEAR IS IT? IS IT A FOUR SPEED? WHAT ENGINE DO YOU HAVE, A 340?"

Meanwhile traffic is backing up behind me and they are all laughing their asses off. But this guy is looking all over the car including sticking his head through the driver's window to look at the interior. Then comes something I'll never forget:

"CAN I KISS YOUR CAR MAN? I'M GONNA KISS YOUR CAR MAN!"

And before I can say anything he leans over and plants a kiss on the top of the drivers side fender. You could clearly see the lip marks.

The people waiting behind me luckily are waiting patiently because they are laughing so hard by this time they couldn't drive if they wanted to.

I said "Thanks." (what else could I say because I was laughing by this time) and that "I have to go since there is a line up behind me." and then did a smoke show out of there with this guy cheering the entire time.

Other than that Ive had many people stop by and know what my car is although not exactly the year (understandable). Then I met a couple that had Darts in their younger years and even met a young guy like me who has a '69 sitting in his garage waiting to be restored.

Way too many have asked me if it has the 340 in it and many more are surprised when I say no. One even argued that since it was a GT that it was supposed to have a 340 in it, that a GT meant it was a 340 care.

Then a few have called it a Charger, Coronet, etc. Most of the time I smile and nod after correcting them and they say "they all look the same".

Well I sure got a lot of Nice Car when I took Bill's Swinger to the gas station to put some gas in.
Guys were driving in off the street to take a look and ask questions.I must of talked for 45 min to the 7 guys who stooped to take a look.
Then I popped into the industrial area to snap a couple of pictures and the same thing.
No young guys just a bunch of old gristle heads like myself talking about how there was one of these old Darts on every street you went down back when we were kids.
The one thing that everyone said was that this was the nicest and cleanest Dart any of them ever remember seeing...
The only thing wrong with talking about Bill's Swinger and listening to all it's accolades was that the Dart wasn't mine...grrrrrrrrr

dart1969.jpg
Bill has himself a helluva car that's for sure. - haven't looked at since you did all that work. Rob. I will have to stop by and tell him " nice car" .

-
Back