Nitros question

-

Bubba C

Reaction score
I've used nitros before in my 340 with flat top's. I retarded the timing 5 degrees per hundred horse shot and it did fine. Now, I have replaced the flat tops with 12.5 to 1 TRW's and I'm running 110 octain fuel. I was wondering if any one could tell me how much to retard the timing now per 100 shot...I'm sure it will be different now that I have more compression??

Thanks, Bubba

when you retard the timing your trying to get the spark to ignite the mixture at something like 12 atc, which is the point that it has the great psi. adding compression to your motor should just produce more torque for a given set of jets. check the ground strap on the plug after each pass to make sure the timing mark is at the 90 degree turn on the strap. you'll see a grey or blue tint to the strap then it will be black or really dark gray, that is where you want the mark. if it's still on the strap towards the end at the electrode there isn't enough and if it's passed the 90 towards the tread part of the plug you have too much timing.

Engines respond better with lower compression with the same pills, so to get the same affect/gain you would with say 100 shot with 10.1, you'll need to run 150 with 12.1, thats why you see guys scapeing off 2 seconds & 15-18 mph with a mild 9.1 engine with a 175 shot.

-
Back