No headlights but has parking lights

-

rarichard

Reaction score
First time in 10 years the headlights have given me a problem, tried to throw the lights on this morning and didn't get anything but the parking lights. directionals work as they should also. Quickly checked for any loose connections but had to head into work so had to leave it. Is this more than likely the pull switch, or is there something else I should check out when I get home? Thanks in Advance.

Is it a floor hi/lo switch? I've had them get stuck in between.
Check the harness at the back of the switch
Oh yeah; what are we working on?

Last edited:
Dimmer switch on the floor .
Check the headlites.
Often, folks drive on only one headlite, not knowing one is burnt out till the second one goes out, and then notice no " headlites" .

Must have still been half asleep this morning, but its a 74 dart swinger /6 .
I checked the dimmer switch at the floor and gave it a few cycles, still nothing.
I'll pop a headlight and hook it up to a power unit tomorrow and check to see if it might just be the filaments. will update tomorrow.

its a 74 dart swinger /6 .

I'll pop a headlight and hook it up to a power unit tomorrow and check to see if it might just be the filaments.
Good plan.
Had that w/ my '75 back around 1985. Thought both bulbs wer e blown and they were fine. It was the circuit breaker in the headlight switch.
Cleaned the connections at the headlights and that generally made OK. Maybe I did the floor switch too.
The real problem (didn't know at the time) is that the new headlamps draw more current than the older ones, but the wiring is still just 16 a 18 ga. :(
The 18 ga wire why the breaker is only 15 amps.

Here's a cheater diagram to show how the headlights get power.
upload_2022-8-31_20-45-3.png

Terminal B1 on the headlight switch gets power from the main splice.
It has a 15 amp internal circuit breaker.
The parking, tail and sidelights, gets power through the fuse box to the B2 terminal on the headlight switch.

On my Barracuda one time I had problem with the CB tripping and it turned out to be the headlight wires were chaffing in the headlight bucket. Something else to look for.

Last edited:
Must have still been half asleep this morning, but its a 74 dart swinger /6 .
I checked the dimmer switch at the floor and gave it a few cycles, still nothing.
I'll pop a headlight and hook it up to a power unit tomorrow and check to see if it might just be the filaments. will update tomorrow.
How are you testing this? Your wording suggests, "you ain't." Are you checking for power at the dimmer switch? As with a test light or meter?

I had an engine bay main harness ground come loose years ago,on my 74, and if I recall, I had markers, but no headlights, and turn signals didn't flash.

Mine was on the radiator support, which I don't recall if that's the factory location, but should be front driver side somewhere on the rad support or battery tray.

Thanks for all the info in this thread.

Thanks @Mattax for the diagram - this helps quite a bit.

Naive question:
Does the headlight switch pull out to turn on parking lights and headlights?

I'm afraid to pull it too hard. Mine rotates but won't pull.

Naive question:

Hi, you need to start a new thread

Mine does the same thing, although I know the problem is the HI/Lo switch. Just have not got on my knees to fix it

Naive question:

mine does pull to first detent to activate parking lights, second detent is for headlights. turning the switch is usually for dimming or brightening the light output in dash cluster

-
Back