No heater hoses... OK to do?

-

Kent mosby

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Other that not having a heater in the car, is there any drawback to just blocking off the heater hose connection at the water pump housing? Any mods needed to the housing? I would like to start with that and add a heater only if needed.
Thanks

Most guys just loop a hose to both heater hose nipples.

is there any drawback to just blocking off the heater hose connection at the water pump housing? Any mods needed to the housing?

Nope, just run a short hose between the two nipples where the heater hoses hook up...........happy motoring.

You can loop a short hose from nipple to nipple just incase you want to go back to heater at some point. If its a stripped down no heater case you can remove the nipples and plug the 2 ports.

It is not installed at all and there are no nipples in place so I was just going to plug the holes if that was ok and did not cause turbulence or cavitating. I have the nipples but I would prefer that cleaner look of plugs.

It is not installed at all and there are no nipples in place so I was just going to plug the holes if that was ok and did not cause turbulence or cavitating. I have the nipples but I would prefer that cleaner look of plugs.
You're good then. Plug away.

There are rubber caps just for that purpose . All that is needed is a hose clamp on each and your done . No ugly hose . You may have to buy 2 sets if you have different size inlet and outlet . NBD I think they are about $2.59 per .

There are rubber caps just for that purpose . All that is needed is a hose clamp on each and your done . No ugly hose . You may have to buy 2 sets if you have different size inlet and outlet . NBD I think they are about $2.59 per .
The op doesn't have any nipples in his intake. All he needs is plugs. I have seen those caps. Much better than a loop of heater hose.

Yes, you can use regular MPT pipe plugs of the correct size. All water pumps have a bypass of some sort; small blocks have the external hose, big blocks have the internal hole under the thermostat.

Sure ya can. I did.
IMG_2603.jpg

This all I got.The heater hose nipple has a rubber cap. My neighbor ran a pipe tap inside his and installed a pipe plug. I didn't think it had enough material but he proved me wrong.
IMG_2802.jpg

Yeah, I'd be afraid of cracking the water pump too. I went with the caps. I like the so much I even put a pair over the heater core outlets.
upload_2018-12-20_6-37-47.png

What heater core?
I like the loop from nipple to nipple...a little extra flow cant hurt.

100_2807.JPG

I couldn't trust rubber caps either. I'm sure there are different mfgrs and quality. A high quality silicone cap and good clamp might cost as much or more than a brass plug.

No pics, but I have the mopar performance housing on my big block and I used pipe plugs, nice and clean.

Cracking! How much torque do you put on those plugs? I can't recall ever cracking anything with a pipe plug (make sure it has some teflon pipe dope on it).

I'm not a machinist and don't have access to a pipe tap. And, yes, tapping into a cheap aluminum housing that wasn't meant to be tapped could easily crack the nipple?

I'm not a machinist and don't have access to a pipe tap. And, yes, tapping into a cheap aluminum housing that wasn't meant to be tapped could easily crack the nipple?
Oh, I see you are working on a later-style aluminum water pump with those cast-in nipples. Yeah, that could present issues.

-
Back