No oil from heads. la360. Ughh

-

Mopar92

Reaction score
brand new engine back from the machine shop. 360 LA with 360 smog heads. Same heads that came on it originally. I primed for 15 min. No oil on rockers. I pulled the whole rocker shaft and I primed for 3-4 min. I have a ton of oil flow out of the lifters. I have 0 flow out of the pedestals. Not 1 drop from the heads. What’s the all about ?

You need to rotate the crank in order to oil the rockers on an LA motor. 65'

Not sure if this helps but on my 318 I had to rotate the assembly to a certain position to oil one head and then rotate to another position to oil the other head . I'm sure someone else can offer better insight into this

So the rockers oil thru the cam bearings. The cam has holes drilled thru to oil the rockers but only line up at certain positions of the crank/cam. Prime with a tool and drill at the dist drive, and turn the crank to get oil to the rockers.

Screenshot_2017-09-15-01-02-47.png
Screenshot_2017-09-15-01-02-47.png
Here is the info you need.

My brother had a 340 done by a reputable shop once; hot tanked, bored, decked, the works. We fired it up and no oil to the rockers. Turns out the passages from the cam to the top of the block we're slam stopped up with gunk. They didn't catch it and neither did we. Royal pain.

I had been rotating the crank and oiling. I went back to the shop and hit the drill on it and it spit oil out the passenger side. Rotated again and it spit out the drivers side. I guess I needed to take a break and magic took over. Seems it’s all ready. Got my Brad Penn breakin oil in it and set on TDC. Quit for the night. I’m scared to death about wiping the cam as always on a new engine. I’m done with hydraulic flat tappers after this I sweat. Haha. Wish me luck.

I had been rotating the crank and oiling. I went back to the shop and hit the drill on it and it spit oil out the passenger side. Rotated again and it spit out the drivers side. I guess I needed to take a break and magic took over. Seems it’s all ready. Got my Brad Penn breakin oil in it and set on TDC. Quit for the night. I’m scared to death about wiping the cam as always on a new engine. I’m done with hydraulic flat tappers after this I sweat. Haha. Wish me luck.
Good luck. You will be fine.

That’s Hughes diagram looks as if it’s firing retarded.

It works....that is all that matter...

Have timing light hooked up and ready to set timing on engine...do not set by ear...you do not want it retarded as the engine will over heat in a matter of minutes.

I guess my engine guy spooked me a little. Said 135 on the seat and like 335? Lbs open scares him a little for breakin on a flat tappet hyd lifter.

It works....that is all that matter...

Have timing light hooked up and ready to set timing on engine...do not set by ear...you do not want it retarded as the engine will over heat in a matter of minutes.

With that being said, what would be a good "target" timing to aim for when breaking in cam?

Thanks. Eric

Not less than 33/34 for me. I burned one up no having enough timing on break in. Timing tape flew off and I guessed. Rather than shut it down and borrow a dial light.

I went roller last year and haven't look back since. Fired the engine up and held it around 1200 RPMs for about a minute and then let it idle...:D

may not be applicable in your case, but another reason to not get correct oiling, can be from not reinstalling all the correct oil gallery plugs after tear down, cleaning.

With those spring pressures, are they a double spring? If so, you may want to take the inners out before break in. Had a friend do not take the inners out, guess who bought a new cam?

Your engine guy is right to be nervous. If he gave it back to you like that, he's a moron. 335 over the nose is too much IMO. So either remove the inners if it's a true dual round-wire spring assembly, or replace them with something much lighter in a single spring for the break in process.

I guess my engine guy spooked me a little. Said 135 on the seat and like 335? Lbs open scares him a little for breakin on a flat tappet hyd lifter.
I had higher spring pressures than that and just went ahead and broke it in with the pen grade LOL you'll be fine. Taking out the inner Springs and all that crazy stuff is ridiculous. Of course people will chime in and say all kinds of stuff but really just break it in and be done with it it'll be fine. Just like mine was when everybody said all the boogeyman talk and wish me luck sarcastically. Paranoia runs high among these old geezers.

Oh and one more thing my "guy" rolled his eyes when I came in with all this paranoia remove the spring talk to him. My guy was not nervous whatsoever. He's a professional that builds Motors daily. I don't think I'd ever take my motor to a shop and have them give me the motor and be nervous about a break-in..

Put 20 minutes on it today on break in. I will dump the break in oil and switch over to my normal high zinc daily oil. All seemed smooth today. Thanks all.

-
Back