No oil thru rocker shafts

-
Thanks for the help. A couple of good links to read there. I have a better understanding of it now. I think I will start by replacing the stud with a bolt and see if it helps, if it does then I will try opening the hole in the bottom of the rocker shaft. I have some good info and ideas to try now. Hopefully I will have time to work on it this weekend. I will update my progress and the solution after I work on it. Thanks again.

ANd just one more thought to add: with the head stud, the stud being in the middle of the of head hole is necessary.The dowels on the block locate the head, and if those are left out, and just the head studs are used for location, then the head may be be positioned downward. Then the head stud in that particular hole would be right up against the oil hole from the block and could seriously block the oil.

BTW the recess in the pedestal is right at .400" diameter. If you open up the shaft hole to that size, you will have to make sure you visually align the holes; these stock rocker shafts have some play on the shaft bolts.

the restriction/area around the 1/2" stud and .540 head passage is .033 square inches, same as the restriction/area around the 5/16" shaft bolt and 3/8" stock hole into shaft. when we use the .450" head bolt the restriction/area is .070 square inches, so I grind the oil hole into the shaft on the lower half to line up with the passage in the pedestal.
I see you computations and they make some sense. Per that the stock restriction at the rocker shaft is about the same as the head stud in the head hole. So, by opening up the rocker shaft hole to a larger size, it is putting a similar sized restriction at the stud-in-head-hole rather than the rocker shaft. That makes good sense.

-
Back