No Starter.....!!!!

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Guys..........I've had this problem before, and probably know almost every trick in the book...BUT, you'se guys are the greatest at this stuff...SO :

A few weeks back, I turned the key and had nothing....zip....no relay click either. Nothing. Had all kinds of power, but no starter or relay.

This happened in my Demon years back, so I changed the relay. Bingo. BUT NOT this time. New relay acts the same as the old. Nothing.

I got under the car and found a loose starter connection (the main). I removed it, cleaned it, installed it and tightened it. I turned the key and got one single click from the relay, then nothing. No clicks, no starter.

I've cleaned the terminals and cables nicely. Nice and tight too. Relay connectors have been checked and re-checked. I replaced the column with a non-auto style, and put in a Hurst on the floor. The neutral safety switch has always worked properly, and was working the last time I drove it. The ignition switch is the original, but seemed nice when I put it in.....no problems visible, no wear, nice plug, etc...........

WHAT AM I MISSING?

Could it be the starter solenoid? Seems the relay would CLICK regardless....right?

Could it be the switch? Would this keep the relay from clicking? (probably, huh?)

I had a brand new starter relay put in my Demon too, like I said......but it was DEFECTIVE........the second new one worked like a charm.

Anything else?.........and if you recommend checking the switch, is there a test I could put to it? Seems there should be a simple circuit test I could do before I tear out the bells............Help me out here............

Thanks guys............... Doc :read2:

time to pull out the old test light and start checking for power. i would start with the easy stuff like the relay. check for power to the terminal coming from the ign. swich, keep in mind to hook the neg. side to the ground from the neutral saftety switch so you know that is working. saying it worked last time doesn't mean its not now. if you have power there then you know its further down like the starter, if not you know its further back like the ignition switch itself. check to see if the starter is getting power to both sides. the small wire from the relay might not be powering up causing the contacts to not complete the circuit.

I'm not a mechanic but I had that problem, my son who is a mechanic put a screw driver between the leads of the starter (with the key in the on position) and sure enough it started. It was the ignition so he just wired in a push button starter and put it in the ash tray, kinda cool actually.

id slip a screwdriver between the bat and ign relay terminal see if the starter jumps if not check the neutral safety switch for ground then id try the starter itself you know how these mopars are sometime the engage gear gets stuck and have to tap the starter with a hammer

The yellow wire gets 12 volts from the ignition switch in the start position. A test light may show current but not enough to energise the relay. Use a volt meter to verify the ignition switch and continuity.
You can ground the relay terminal with the brown wire to rule out the neutral safety switch.

I'm assuming this is your '74? If it is push the seatbelt interlock reset button and see what happens. With a loose starter connection you may have fried the interlock control box.

SO FAR, here's what I got.....................

I cross the terminals on the relay, and the starter works perfectly every time.

I tested the little yellow wire, and it is HOT in the START position, but NO RELAY click.

Does this mean I have a bad neutral safety switch ????????

clip on the terminal with your test light and ground it or jump a wire to ground from it and and then try to start the car if it starts the neutral switch is bad if not you probaly bought a defective relay

if you tested for the ign. hot using the ground side of your light or volt meter hooked to the NSS connector and got 12+ volts then its your relay, if you just went to another chassis ground source then its a bad NSS.

yes ground that neutral switch terminal on the relay to a ground source firewall anything with a jumper wire and try starting it all it is is a ground anyhow

if you tested for the ign. hot using the ground side of your light or volt meter hooked to the NSS connector and got 12+ volts then its your relay, if you just went to another chassis ground source then its a bad NSS.

I hooked the ground from my tester to the chassis. SO, if I hook the ground to the BROWN terminal (I assume this is the NSS connector you speak of), and it's hot, then I have a bad relay............yes? I'll give it a shot.

i have a relay from a 4 speed car in my automatic which doesnt have a neutral switch so i dont have to deal with the it anymore lmbo

SUCCESS !!!!!!!!!!

I grounded the brown NSS terminal wire to chassis........Car starts perfectly every time. Disconnect it, and nothing at the relay.

SO, I guess I'll be puttin' in a new NSS !

Thanks guys! :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

By the way..........for the record :

You'se guys had the car correctly diagnosed in one hour and 12 minutes total, INCLUDING my running in and out to the car and computer........WITH distractions included.

Is that a new record ? :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

thats funny as I sit here waiting for my phone interview to collect unemployment LOL. have skills, need job.

Wow TomP,I'd say you've just been FABO"D!!!

Better than being overhauled...lol

Another way to tell if the nss is going bad is to try starting the car in neutral.

I had this same problem where the car wouldnt start in park,put it in neutral and she fires right up. Replaced the nss, and voila !

-
Back