NO Tilte Car

-

jefroa

Reaction score
Where I live I heared of a place called "Mopar Heaven" and for months I've been trying to find this place, well I found this place taking random roads and getting lost. The day I found it, I was all excited one, I was driving my valiant with no problems and two I found "Mopar Heaven". I talked to the owner of the place, telling him that I was looking for a Mopar car, and within a few months I'm leaving for a depolyment and I wanted something waiting for me when I got back, and since my divorce is almost final why not spoil myself. I guess at first, the guy thought I was looking for something that I could fix up and sell it in Barret Jackson, so talking to him, letting him know that I've been waiting a Cuda, or a Duster and giving it to my son so he could drive it to his prom, he gave me access to his lot. The guy had a bunch of rare stuff. As my roommate and I were walking thru his lot, I found alot of my childhood dream cars. From the hundreds of cars he had, I fell in love with 68 Charger (383 car) no engine or tranny, just roller,no intorior and lots of rust, a 69 roadrunner (383 car) no engine or tranny, almost rust free and with intorior, a 70 Cornet with everything 440+tranny intorior, vinly top, just cracked windshield, no dents on the car.

Here is my delima, as much as I love this cars, to me it's not worth spending the little money I have on just a "track" car. I want a car that I would be able to drive on the street and on the track. I live in NC, I'm from Cali, but NC is gay about title stuff. I was told that NC won't give you a title unless you give up a title. And all the cars that I like, the guy doesn't have a title to. I was wondering if anyone has ran into any of these problems before and what did they do. Plus, I'm really scared of getting a car, legit, spend the time, money and effort to make it road worthy and to find out there is another car with the same VIN numbers. I've heared and read alot of people taking their cars to car shows, and finding out there was 2-4 other cars with the same VIN numbers. I would probley destory the other cars, so I would be the only one, just kidding about that, but seriosuly I was told that carfaxing a car has it's cracks as well do DMV's. And somehow there are cars on the roads with same VIN numbers registerd in different states. So what does everyone recommed, to stay away from high demanding cars?, and/or get something less desired? is there a way around it?

I have been told that if the vin is good then if you have someone in Cali who can register it the you should be able to get a title that way.

All I can say since you live in Nc, if there is a vin on the car right in down. Take it to your local dmv office and do a search and see if maybe the car was possibly last registered in Nc. Try to track them down and see if they will fill out a lost title paperwork and do it that way.

You can get a title for a car in NC with a bill of sale, we are surrounded by states that don't title old cars. The car has to be in running/driving condition and they inspect it to make sure. NC guys...... speak up.... anyone have more details on the process??

Check into running it thru Ga. I don't think they even require a title on older cars. Then move it to NC

You can get a title for a car in NC with a bill of sale, we are surrounded by states that don't title old cars. The car has to be in running/driving condition and they inspect it to make sure. NC guys...... speak up.... anyone have more details on the process??

In Nc if its over 35 years old it does not have to been running or driving and they do not inspect it if you have a title. Not sure if its different with a bill of sale.
For my 72 and 74 I went to dmv with title and walked out with plates.

That's if you have a title tho.......... point is there is no title

Thats why if he takes vin to dmv they can run a search on the vin and try and find to see if last owner is still in nc. Then he can get a title that way. Nc is becoming a pain in the *** with bill of sales and titles in the last few years.

n.c will no longer tell you who the last owner was, as it is a breach of configdentuality, as they call it now. so that part is a no go. i bought a 340 duster out of nc, and tried in nc and va. no go on either

I say wait and find a car that has a title unless you want the hassle of going the other way.

if the price is right and you can get a bill of sale, go for it. you could probably get a local pd or the dmv to check the vin to make sure it isn't stolen. you probably wouldn't want to title it till it's running anyway, as soon as you have it titled you have to pay yearly taxes for it.

Thanks for all the help, I'll probley have the paperwork sent to my family in CA and have them register it there, after I get the VIN numbers checked. For the ones that want to know whats in Mopar Heaven, there's a bunch of 69 roadrunners. For the ones that don't know. 69 roadrunners were the only year that had square brake lights, they don't look as good as the 68 or 70 model. The 68 charger is the only year that had circle brake lights, if you look at the "Blade" movies, it has a 68 brake lights, but I don't know if it's a real 68. The guy has a few Satalites, dusters, chargers of all years (not the new ones)theres even a scamp. He also has one of the last Roadrunners that was made, a factory 440+6 pack cuda. I'm not the type of guy that would buy a car because it's valueable or to make profit. Don't take it the wrong way, but to me a car is meant to be driven, broken and rebuilt, not stored in a musem. Of course the RARE stuff he wants a pretty penny, but I was looking for a late 60's early 70's Mopar. Alot of people want a camaro, mustang or corvette, but they are so common. I like being different and I would think it would be awesome to drive a 440 Cornet, at the same time people have the "WTF" was that? as I drive by. I don't care about owning a 71 cuda conv. 440+6 4speed, or spending a million bucks on one car, and have stored in a bubble. I would be happy to spend $1,500 on a shell, enjoy building it and hopefully get a chance to drive it. And lastly this place is not near Goldsborro. I'll try to stop by there this weekend to see where it is. I almost forgot, he has a cougar xr-7 with a 4spd, I havent seen many with a factory 4spd's.

n.c will no longer tell you who the last owner was, as it is a breach of configdentuality, as they call it now. so that part is a no go. i bought a 340 duster out of nc, and tried in nc and va. no go on either

So, what did you do with the duster?

In Ca. you'll have to bring the car to the DMV or have an "official agent" verify the VIN.
If the Wrecking yard owns the car, can't you get a bill of sale from them? I'm sure they've run across this situaltion before. They should have some sort of official paperwork to show that they own it. Here in Ca. wrecking yards have to submit all the paperwork to the state and are issued an aquisition #. With that, you can sell a car on a bill of sale and then the new owner will be issued a new title. It will be a salvage title but a title none the less. Some of the drawbacks to a salvage title is: some insurance companies won't write a policy on one, Some banks won't loan money for one, and on resale, they aren't as valuable as one without a salvage brand on it.

The reason NC has done all this is the amount of "false" paperwork stuff being done -like broadway titles. If you bring a car from out of state over 35 years old its supposed to be checked before titling. There are ways around some of this. The bonding thing seems to be ok. i know some guys who have done it. Oh and some of the changes came about due to a couple dmv offices allowing BS type paper work thru. I'm waiting to get my 70 satellite on the road before i let them see it. Another thing the inspection some of these guys talked about is not for an inseption sticker, it is a dmv officer looking a car over to be sure it is the car its presented to be. This prevents "cloning" a piece of junk into $$$$ cars. Its not a big deal to it correctly. Doing it wrong (or in alot of cases illegally) is what caused these changes to start with.

-
Back