No Titles Required in Alabama?

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
I have a comment about a 1965 Barracuda for sale in the "For Sale" section. Since General comments are not allowed in that section, I will bring this here.
The car was listed "No Title, bill of sale only, Titles are not required in the sellers state.
One person said, "Wish it had a title. We still require those in Washington State" They are required in Kansas also. I had always heard that trying to register a car with no title was a HUGE hassle that involved hiring an attorney and spending a lot of money. Are there really states that do not require Titles, or am I misunderstanding this?

What I got from it was that some states do not (or did not) require a title for a car older than a certain year.
I know from experience that Arizona is an easy state to get a title if there isn't one.
As a matter of fact the person at AZ motor vehicles told me that since I didn't have ANY paperwork including a bill of sale that it was a lot easier than if I had part of the paperwork.
A 50 dollar title bond from my insurance company was all that was needed besides a physical vin verification.

Weird, but I was ok with it.:D

well you are wrong about Kansas .All you need to tag a antique car in the state of Kansas is a bill of sale look it up the car has to have correct year motor and all number plates must be in tacked no after market wheels. or you can tag a builder car with bill of sale with body and one for the engine but then they give it a new vin tag and it becomes that year of car and you have to pay taxes for a new car my 70 duster says its a 2014 Plymouth duster on the title as it was a builder . but all you have to do is trailer what you have to highway patrol inspection station

well you are wrong about Kansas .All you need to tag a antique car in the state of Kansas is a bill of sale look it up the car has to have correct year motor and all number plates must be in tacked no after market wheels. or you can tag a builder car with bill of sale with body and one for the engine but then they give it a new vin tag and it becomes that year of car and you have to pay taxes for a new car my 70 duster says its a 2014 Plymouth duster on the title as it was a builder . but all you have to do is trailer what you have to highway patrol inspection station

Now that's weird.

Georgia does not require a title on vehicles I think 85 and prior. It's no big deal here.

Georgia does not require a title on vehicles I think 85 and prior. It's no big deal here.

Rob will Georgia give you some kind of form so you can sell a 85 and older no title car
to a out of state buyer who's state requires a title to prove ownership to register?
Just curious how that would work.
That Kansas duster registered as a 2014 sounds strange. I wouldn't like my old cars titled as
a new car.

Rob will Georgia give you some kind of form so you can sell a 85 and older no title car
to a out of state buyer who's state requires a title to prove ownership to register?
That Kansas duster registered as a 2014 sounds strange. I wouldn't like my old cars titled as
a new car.

I am not sure. I have never sold a car out of state.

Connecticut had no title on a 1990 corvette (traded that for my 66 cuda) and no title on cuda. They only require last registration copy and bill of sale from last reg. OR bill of sale with another form called supplemental title/bill of sale. BUT god help you if you are in a hurry. They just updated their computers and now it's even slower!

there are several states like Ga. Al.... they deal with a registration only, NO title.... Missouri used to be IF you had that Ga, or Al registration aND BILL OF SalE, YOU WENT AND GOT IT INSPECTED GOT id od FOR IT AND NO BIG DEAL. now I USE BILL OF SALE from Ga. and ID OD ONLY AND GET MY title. ( who hit the caps!???)
yes I know Ks is anal retentive on these old cars!!!!! sorry Jayhawkers! every state is different on who they d eal with this, even can vary from tag office to tag office. some just aren't aware of their state laws regarding all this.

California is No problem with no title. Just need to fill out paper work, Vin inspection, And pay the Graft.

In Alabama, there was no such thing as a car title for 1974 and earlier vehicles. So all that is required here, is a bill of sale.

I sold a 69 GTS body that went to Texas. All I had to do was go to license commissioner and buy a tag for 1 month since my tags renewed the following month. We have to show proof of insurance to get a tag so I had to explain to the commissioner that it had no motor or trans and it would leave on a trailer and not touch the pavement. Guy called back within 24 hrs and said he had it titled in Texas with no problem, Joe

In Alabama, there was no such thing as a car title for 1974 and earlier vehicles. So all that is required here, is a bill of sale.

Yes....that is required there in AL. You still get a registration. I've bought older AL vehicles. TN won't accept just a bill of sale but, will if you have a "current" copy of the AL registration. That is unless you "know" the DMV person. Always best to ask BEFORE you buy something without title and/or registration.

When I bought my dart, all I got was a bill of sale. I got the car running, went to the tag office with proof of insurance, they checked the VIN and gave me a tag and tag receipt. That was it. All of this was in the same state of course.

a new car.
me either but that's how they do it here.

No title in NY for anything '72 down. It's transferable registration and those are easy enough to get.

I can give you a first hand experience I just had with buying a 69 Chevy BB C10 from a place called Peach auto auction in Byron Ga. It did not have a tittle. So what I had to do when I went to the Florida DMV to get a tittle issued was show a form that the GA. law enforcement filled out that verified the VIN number and that along with a tag registration showing the same name that was on the bill of sale. I walked out with a Fl. tittle in my name.

I bought a 1971 from a guy in GA and got a title. When I registered the car in my state of AL they did not give me a title and let me keep the GA one. In AL, a 1971 and earlier (may be later also) is bill of sale only.

Alabama will not title a car older than 35 years.

I bought my car from a guy who had it titled in Tennessee. I sent it to Alabama DMV and only got back a registration. So, if I were to try selling my car, I'd be in the same boat as the guy selling your 65 Barracuda.

In Illinois, you might as well scrap it without a title. To get one, you will be dedicating about 9 months of legalism. I don't know what our DMV would do IF I bought a car from a state that didn't issue titles, and wanted to plate it here. Hmmmmm.......

VERMONT....you can register your vehicle in Vermont and all you need is a bill of sale and you dont even need to live in Vermont. I am just going on information I saw on youtube so take that into consideration.

BTW...Nebraska sucks when you dont have a title as I am finding out. I have the original title but it was signed and the guy never took the time to put it in his name soo I have to find the guy and try to convince him to get a title in his name so it can be transfered over to me. The guy I bought the car from failed to notice this and like an idiot, I didnt bother to look at the title real close so I guess I have got problems, hopefully I can get them figured out.

Ok I live in Alabama and have sold many older cars to people out of state. In Alabama they will not issue a title for a car 35 years old or older. If I have the car on the road and tagged In Alabama I will give the buyer a current tag receipt in my name and a notarized bill of sale. If I have not tagged the car yet they get a notarized bill of sale only. I have not heard back from anyone saying that they had a problem getting a tag in their state. Some states are harder than others and this may not work for you but it will in most states. If you go to Alabama DMV online you can get a copy of what is and what is not titled to show your DMV.

Ok I live in Alabama and have sold many older cars to people out of state. In Alabama they will not issue a title for a car 35 years old or older. If I have the car on the road and tagged In Alabama I will give the buyer a current tag receipt in my name and a notarized bill of sale. If I have not tagged the car yet they get a notarized bill of sale only. I have not heard back from anyone saying that they had a problem getting a tag in their state. Some states are harder than others and this may not work for you but it will in most states. If you go to Alabama DMV online you can get a copy of what is and what is not titled to show your DMV.

Basically the same for Ga. When I went to transfer the ownership to myself for a truck I bought in Ga. My Fl. DMV didn't have a problem issuing me a tittle for it. But they did require proof that the seller owned the truck that was selling it to me. Which was a Ga. tag registration in his name. That and the notarized bill of sale put a brand new crisp Fl. tittle in my name and in my hand. I just did this in Sept of this year.

-
Back