No valve adjustment?

-
Update: the ticking is now GONE! Engine runs nice and smooth and the ticking gradually disappeared after driving it around for a while. I assume the new lifter just needed to get properly pumped up/ lubricated with the new oil. Either that or the holy water I spritzed onto the valve cover did the trick!

To recap: ~64 head with '81+ hydraulic lifter system (no manual valve adjustment) retrofitted to it. Rear most exhaust valve ticking noticeably. Removed rocker arm assembly and fished out old hydraulic lifter with a magnet (did NOT have to remove head to get lifter out) which was clearly bad/collapsed. Replaced with a new hydraulic lifter (from a '81 Dodge Diplomat). Changed oil to Mobil 1 10W-30. Ticking continued, but gradually went away after driving it over the period of a few days. Ticking now completely gone.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to help me resolve my problem. I am humbled by your knowledge base. I kowtow as I back away from your presence.

Last question: how can I change the name of my post to say "solved" ? I like bringing resolution to questions I pose.

-
Back