Non A body a833

-
I may be wrong here, but I believe the bigger issue is the tailshaft, that one is for B/E Body (B-body uses the front mount as shown, the back 3 point mount is for an E-body) and the shifter mount points are completely different for an A-Body -you want a short tailshaft a833.

this one is also a long tailshaft for the 68 B-Body [ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Dodge-Plymouth-Chrysler-Mopar-A-833-4-Speed-Transmission-A833-/321390840306?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ad46309f2&vxp=mtr"]1968 Dodge Plymouth Chrysler Mopar A 833 4 Speed Transmission A833 | eBay[/ame] (so you know what to stay away from)

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm the pic at the left showing the 2 tailhousings - the A-Body one is on the top.

Maybe I've been out of touch, but that seems like one 'ell of a lot of money for a gearbox you have to spend even more time and money adapting.

So far as the rear mount / length, they are the same as a 727 automatic.

This issue is the shifter mount

Maybe I've been out of touch, but that seems like one 'ell of a lot of money for a gearbox you have to spend even more time and money adapting.

So far as the rear mount / length, they are the same as a 727 automatic.

This issue is the shifter mount

I agree, 850 for that transmission is stupid. Sorry.

You can buy a good A body unit for 1/2 or less of that price!

I can fab up a shifter adapter, no problem. I'd look for a more reasonably priced transmission! Heck, I'd sell you a Hemi 4 speed for just a little more money than that aluminum cased POS. :)

meant to reply to this earlier, but i was at work.

so i should be looking to pay around $400 for an a body 4 speed that doesnt need adapting.
and from what i have gathered so far, an a body 4 speed will have the shift mount in a different location and a short tail housing as well. excellent! muchos gracias, dudes.

from what i have gathered so far, an a body 4 speed will have the shift mount in a different location and a short tail housing as well. excellent! muchos gracias, dudes.

Yup. Make certain what you get is a straight through 4 speed and not an overdrive assuming you don't want an overdrive.

Quick ways to tell:

Straight 4 speed has the two forward shift levers point UP

OD has the front shift lever ( 3 -4) pointing down

If the levers are gone, or might have been switched, get the box into neutral, rotate the front shift shaft RIGHT (CW) which puts the box into 3RD gear (4 speed) or OD on an OD box. Rotate the input shaft ONE turn and watch the tail shaft.

On a 4 speed, the tail will turn LESS than 1 full turn,

On an OD, the tail shaft will turn MORE than 1 full turn

The A bodies are the only boxes with the short shaft, and the only boxes with the shifter located as such

tailhousing-shifterpad-locations.jpg

THIS x100!!!! today is the last day. Passon is one of the better rebuilders out there and he stands by his products. this is one hell of a deal for a rebuilt A833 that will fit your a-body correctly

http://passonperformance.com/

It's still a great deal, but keep in mind that's for an overdrive transmission, not a regular 833. Non-overdrive 833's are about $1300 shipped from Jamie, at least mine was.

And you definitely don't want to accidentally buy an OD transmission if you're trying to get a non-overdrive. The 833 OD's sell for about half of what the non-overdrive's sell for. I've picked up a couple in good shape for $150. And to add to what Del posted, most (but not all) of the OD transmissions have aluminum cases. While the internals can be swapped, if it has an aluminum case its almost guaranteed to be an OD trans.

meant to reply to this earlier, but i was at work.

so i should be looking to pay around $400 for an a body 4 speed that doesnt need adapting.
and from what i have gathered so far, an a body 4 speed will have the shift mount in a different location and a short tail housing as well. excellent! muchos gracias, dudes.

I love your user name, i am a big fan of the Dead Kennedys.
That out of the way, going with an a-body trans will save you a lot of headaches........
Did anyone else notice that the seller didn't speak no good english?

Yup. Make certain what you get is a straight through 4 speed and not an overdrive assuming you don't want an overdrive.

Quick ways to tell:

Straight 4 speed has the two forward shift levers point UP

OD has the front shift lever ( 3 -4) pointing down

If the levers are gone, or might have been switched, get the box into neutral, rotate the front shift shaft RIGHT (CW) which puts the box into 3RD gear (4 speed) or OD on an OD box. Rotate the input shaft ONE turn and watch the tail shaft.

On a 4 speed, the tail will turn LESS than 1 full turn,

On an OD, the tail shaft will turn MORE than 1 full turn

The A bodies are the only boxes with the short shaft, and the only boxes with the shifter located as such

wow that's incredibly helpful. this forum community is pretty damn good.

I love your user name, i am a big fan of the Dead Kennedys.
That out of the way, going with an a-body trans will save you a lot of headaches........
Did anyone else notice that the seller didn't speak no good english?

awesome! same here, as you can tell. yeah im not even going to bother with anything other than an a-body trans.

also, i dont want an overdrive one. soon ill be able to gather parts for it after i get my 360 mag from the machine shop!!! :D

I agree, 850 for that transmission is stupid. Sorry.

You can buy a good A body unit for 1/2 or less of that price!

I can fab up a shifter adapter, no problem. I'd look for a more reasonably priced transmission! Heck, I'd sell you a Hemi 4 speed for just a little more money than that aluminum cased POS. :)
Hey do you by chance have anymore shifter adapters or willing to make me one ?
Thanks

-
Back