non adjustable valves on a 65 273?

-

Coryduran

Reaction score
So I pulled my valve covers to adjust the valves tonight, and found they were not adjustable. Was I wrong in assuming a 65 273 would be adjustable.

How could I identify my engine? Someone else has suggested before that my engine may not be the original 273 even and that it may be a later 318

I don't believe those are original. '66 service book shows .013/ .021 lash, and no hydraulic tappets.

Either you have an LA 318 or someone has done some swapping, I'd say

Start by looking at the drivers side front of the engine, the parting line where the block deck meets the head. Directly under there should be a number string, and 273 318, etc, should be in the first 4 or 5 numbers

The number should be about where the mouse is pointing:

2h5i7w8.jpg

Yup. Also the numbers are cast into the starter side of the block. You'll have to get underneath and check it out there though.

I don't believe those are original. '66 service book shows .013/ .021 lash, and no hydraulic tappets.

Either you have an LA 318 or someone has done some swapping, I'd say

Start by looking at the drivers side front of the engine, the parting line where the block deck meets the head. Directly under there should be a number string, and 273 318, etc, should be in the first 4 or 5 numbers

The number should be about where the mouse is pointing:

2h5i7w8.jpg
right beside the freeze plug I think a 65 273 should have a bolt in the timing cover. 318 no bolt. bolt hole in gasket none in cover or block.

As others said check for those casting numbers. While you're at it with that valve cover off look for the cylinder head casting numbers on the runners. That way you know what you have to work with.

Yeah it's a 273, so I'm guessing either someone has gone through the work to give it hydraulic lifters, or it's a later year 273 that someone put in the car at some point? I don't know much about the 273s changes over years did they ever come out of the factory with non mechanical valves?

Look at the passenger side of the block, it will tell you the build date of the block. Most likely the cam went flat and they swapped everything to hyd lifter setup. They may have got tired of adjusting them, one of the adjusters may have spun too free causing a tick when it backed off. No telling...​

Ok, well since I do have an audible noise coming from the driver side valve cover, what would I do about those valves? Since I can't adjust them.

Ok, well since I do have an audible noise coming from the driver side valve cover, what would I do about those valves? Since I can't adjust them.

You can pull that cover and retorque the shaft hold down bolts. Start it up and let it idle and see if you can tell where the noise is coming from. If you have a couple worn lifters they can be replaced as a last ditch effort to get by for now. You can pull them by removing the rocker shaft assy, the pushrod, and finally the lifter through the openings in the head. There used to be a tool that grabbed the inside ring of the lifter. Of course the real fix would be a new cam, lifters and a double roller timing chain...

After checking that bolts etc. are tight you might try a can of Rislone or Marvel Mystery Oil. Chance you have a stuck lifter. How dirty did things look when you pulled the valve covers? If it was really clean then then the Rislone/Mystery oil might not help but there's always a chance that some little piece of crap got stuck in there somewhere.

Yeah it's a 273, so I'm guessing either someone has gone through the work to give it hydraulic lifters, or it's a later year 273 that someone put in the car at some point? I don't know much about the 273s changes over years did they ever come out of the factory with non mechanical valves?

...or someone's put later 318 heads on your 273 block.

'68/'69 273's had juice lifters...same as LA 318 of those years.

Get us the block AND head casting numbers and block date, and we'll figure it out for you.

...or someone's put later 318 heads on your 273 block.

'68/'69 273's had juice lifters...same as LA 318 of those years.

Get us the block AND head casting numbers and block date, and we'll figure it out for you.
Where would I find the head casting numbers? The block casting numbers/date would be on the passenger or drive side of the block? Or is it the string of numbers on the front?

Regardless of head/ block numbers, someone could have put a different cam in there

With the valve cover off the head casting # should be 2465315 / 2532080. Also , your intake bolts will be 5/16 instead of 3/8, if you have 64/65 heads.

Where would I find the head casting numbers? The block casting numbers/date would be on the passenger or drive side of the block? Or is it the string of numbers on the front?

Cory...head casting number location......your numbers will be different, as pointed out previously.......

Attachments

• MoparSmlBlkHeadCastNumber.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 154
Actually I'm pretty positive that my intake bolts are 3/18. I'll check and make sure though. Thanks a lot guys I'll let you know what I find.

Head numbers will tell the story Cory.

-
Back