Non magnum roller cam 360

-

joes68340s

Reaction score
I have a roller cam LA head 360. I think it’s from around 1990, 1991 not sure. I don’t know much about these engines. I would like to step up to a bigger cam. Do I run a magnum style roller cam. And where can I find more info on these engines.

Normal LA W/P cover?
Run the long snout LA roller cam.

More info on engines via the Mopar engines books and/or the “How to Hotrod my SBC engine” books.

Is it a solid case in block off? Or just a plate bolted on?

Any LA roller cam of your choice. (not the short snout designed for the Magnum which has no provision for a mechanical fuel pump. )

Stay with the LA roller cam. IF you went to a magnum roller, you'd loose about .030 lift because the rocker ratio is 1.6 on the magnum and the cam is ground for that rocker ratio and 1.5 is the ratio on the LA.

Stay with the LA roller cam. IF you went to a magnum roller, you'd loose about .030 lift because the rocker ratio is 1.6 on the magnum and 1.5 on the LA.
You bet. and I don't like that adapter you have to run with a Magnum cam in a LA block.

You bet. and I don't like that adapter yo have to run with a Magnum cam in a LA block.
correct. Of course, electric fuel pump is always an option. I have the exact 360 roller cam from a '89 360. I was planning on using it in a magnum motor because it will be a "poor mans" way of adding lift. should gain about .030 in lift and get the mechanical fuel pump snout.

You can run any cam you want if no mech fuel pump is required

Do you own math on cam/valve lift.

You can run any cam you want if no mech fuel pump is required

Do you own math on cam/valve lift.
you can even run a flat tappet cam, solid cam, roller cam.... but of the two the OP listed above, there would be no gain going with a magnum cam over the LA as he would loose lift

1.6 rockers on the LA fix that. :)

Part of why I mentioned the math part.

If it's an OEM Hyd Roller block, find a good hyd roller stick and go with it.

Ether a electric fuel pump, like an Edelbrock for example or swap covers for a mechanical pump.

Ether a electric fuel pump, like an Edelbrock for example or swap covers for a mechanical pump.
Thanks Rumble. I am glad that info came out. Yes, the timing cover tells you which style cam you have. The cover with no fuel pump mounting surface (machined and tapped) gets the short cam. The regular cover with mounting area for a pump (whether it's blocked off with a plate or not) gets the longer length (regular length or retrofit cam). Now to complicate things a bit, there is a cam adapter available so you can use a short cam in a long (or standard LA) timing cover. Another thing to remember, these roller cam LA engines were change-over designs. LA went from flat tappet hydraulic cam to roller then to Magnum which all had roller cams. There may be some odd combinations out there. You know Mopar. lol I have hears of early roller 318 blocks with flat tappet cams. never say never.

If you can stand the down time send the cam you now have in to get reground if all you want is a mild upgrade. Ohio cams comes to mind but some of the other cam grinders do it also.

-
Back