noob, K frame/engine swap questions

-

1967 barracuda

Reaction score
okay guys this is what i got going on. i am buying a 1969 dart GT that was originally a 318 car, it has kelsey hayes front disc brakes, 3:55 posi and has had the 318 swapped for a 383. now the issue i have is the seller (truly a friend) got this car in a trade deal. says its all good. The car runs and drives and all, has some rust issues (very minor) but he says i may want to look into a BB K member, i guess whoever did this swap got to hacking the existing k member. the engine is in and it runs fine and everything...what do i do?? look for a new K member???

Is the engine sitting all screwed up?
Did he use a swap kit? Which one?

Theres kits out there to correct this and mount it right if the butchery isn't bad.

Pictures would help alot to see what exactly we are dealing with.

Worst case....new K-frame should be found, but a regular one, not a big block K frame. There very expaensive and super hard to find.

You could get ethier a /6 or 318 K frame and do minor mods at wprst with a swap kit

Being it is a 69, Trans Dapt makes a bolt in kit I beileve. Not a 100% sure on this.

Yeah, the swap kits out there require some cutting of the k member. If that's all that was done, I say you're probably fine. If it's all hacked up, it could need some repair, or replacement, but I agree that it's not worth the money to find an original big block k member.

Take a look at it when you get it. It may be fine. There are several ways to get the engine in the right place, including home-built mounts and self-modified 73-76 k-members into Direct Connection units.

FWIW, in our '68 Dart GT with an original 273, when we put the 383, we used the Schumacher kit.

The only thing needed to be cut out was the 1" notch on the engine perch to clear the Oil Pump, as shown below;

http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/InstructionPages/A67BRB.html

Now with this in mind, what is the extent of the "hacking" in your car's K-member..?

---

-
Back