Nor-Cal '73 Swinger

-
Also, since I'm on hold finishing up the head & cam swap until I source out the non-AC pulleys, I decided to do some masking & detailing of the block. I figured since most of the junk was out of the way & those bright, freshly pained 302 heads were bolted on, I better clean up what I can. So I masked everything off & coated with a couple of coats of primer & then a couple of coats of Chrysler Blue. It didn't come out too bad I don't think. Here's a shot of the original bay, followed by the initial clean up, then the head swap & then some shots of what it looks like after today's fun. Kinda cool to see the evolution.

Saetun in one of your photos of your engine. You still had a Heat Stove on the driver side exhaust. Did you save it by any chance? am trying to restore my 340 back to original.

GTS4Fuji

Thanks to Mike, (Bad440) I've been progressing on my engine upgrades & things are almost done. But also thanks to Mike, I've been looking at my chrome valve covers & air cleaner with more scrutiny. I picked up a set of black MP valve covers & really would like a '73 340 air cleaner but can't justify spending $100+ for one. So, I picked up a 318 4 barrel air cleaner from the junkyard off of a '77 Cordoba. I cut the snorkel off & stripped it down then rattle canned the cleaner black. (Although if i pick up a 340 cleaner I'll stick with the orange!) I know its not as cool as like a '71 Hi-Po but I detailed it up a little. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• Air cleaner bare.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 525
  • Air cleaner done.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 495
  • Air cleaner done 2.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 520
  • Air cleaner done 3.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 504
  • Air cleaner done 4.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 515
  • Air cleaner done 5.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 518
  • Air cleaner chrome vc 2.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 531
  • Air cleaner chrome vc.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 507
  • Air cleaner bare 2.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 505
thanks to me huh?hey people i made jeff hate chrome!lol looks alot better now jeff.got rid of that chrome chevy style air cleaner,lol

X2,guys.Rattlecan everything anymore.More worried about fast.Looks good,by the way.

Looks good Jeff. I like the valve covers nice touch. I did a little bit of chrome under my hood but most of it is brushed aluminum and its all Mopar so do whatever makes you happy.

Finally got back to some real progress today. Mike came bye & among other things we replaced the ratty old crappily spliced OE Positive battery cable with the one that Motopsycho shipped me. Fits like a glove & makes a huge difference aesthetically. The negative replacement cable should be here by the end of the upcoming week. Here's the positive installed (Woo-Hoo!):

Attachments

• NOS Positive Battery Cable 2.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 460
So, after replacing the stock heads with with moderately worked 302 castings & installing the XE268 cam & new headers, it took me a minute to chase out an electrical gremlin. Well last night I chased it out & found my spark. Bad440 was kind enough to come on bye today & we broke in the cam with wide open headers & the neighbors loved us! Next is a trip to the exhaust shop to get the headers tied in to my existing exhaust & I should be back on the fast track of getting my project closer to where i need it to be.

[ame="http://youtu.be/jX6TDeuBh_Y"]302 Found[/ame]

And here we are at idle... Still wide open headers & haven't timed it in yet but still a good idea of what its gonna sound like. Something pretty cool about the raw, uncapped & timed by ear sound of it all.

[ame="http://youtu.be/naIO70BlXAk"]302 Found[/ame]

Oh yeah... & did I mention how much the neighbors loved me?

sounds good! your gonna have to come over and make a short vid of mine in the next week or so .

I've heard that sound before and it sounds GOOOOOOD! Nice to see you are getting closer to driving it again.

Hear that popin in the exhaust in the first video. It has too much timing in it.Un hook the vacuum adv and see if that popping goes away. Don't tell me thats normal either...I know better.:)

[ame="http://youtu.be/t0OVIsU01mg"]302 Found[/ame]

73wheelstander.jpg

Yea waaay to advanced. I had a mopar performance dist. That did that real bad before I recurved it and it went away. What distributor are you running?

Timing had not been set when I recorded those clips, just turned the distributor until it fired. It was strictly to break in the cam. After the exhaust is tied into the headers I'll start tuning & post a clip of the finished tune.

Wheels up, That video is ridiculous!!!!!! Keep 'em comin!

On a positive note, i ran into the neighbor and his girlfriend today. He said it was nice to hear the car fire up after seeing me out there countless hours & late at night fussin with it. I thought that was pretty cool.

Yea waaay to advanced. I had a mopar performance dist. That did that real bad before I recurved it and it went away. What distributor are you running?

I run an MSD distrubitor and a 6 al box.I have the distrubitor locked out with 32 degrees of total timing.

DSCN0242.jpg

The O.P,set on a year budget build.How does this fit here?Wake up.

Have you had a chance to take her out and drive her since you had the exhaust done? Like to know how that cam works out for you once you get her shook down. Sounds good by the way

No ******.Why you posting your posts,on his thread,kind of overbearing.

Gt, will get the exhaust done this weekend & post up another clip.

Wheels up, Bomber's a friend and attacking him is attacking me no matter how benign your first thread was. Kindly let it drop.

Sorry ,and thanks.A lot of cash flowing,you don't have.This thread stated as a yearly budget build,one stage at a time.Appreciate it,Saetun,no offense to anyone anywhere.Thank you,for the reel in.....

Don't get yourselfs all worked up over nothing! Noone is being attacked. I'm just having some fun. See the air cleaner on my car, that was worth .2 and 4 MPH in the Qtr mile. My wifes dart started off the same as yours. It was street driven for years and it is cool to look back and see how far the car has come since we started on it 20 some years ago.
Just relax everything is gonna be OK.:)

-
Back