Not A-body but Mopar

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a problem with the truck. It's a 98 Ram 4x4 with a 318. The problem is, the truck idles fine but when you push the gas pedal it makes a "WAAAAAA" noise from the engine and has no power. The exhaust is not dark. I am thinking my fuel pump is on it's way out. I have noticed a decrease in power in the last couple of days also.

What do you guy's think?

Jack

How many miles are on it? When was the last time you changed the cat? When my cat went out on my '99 It ran fine but when i would flor it it would go to 3k RPM and stay there. I pulled the upstream o2 sen. out and would rev alot better ( REAL loud whistel in a closed shop lol). I would bet it's your cat.

218,000 kilometers or 136,000 miles. Usually when a cat goes, don't you get a check engine light. I am not getting any error lights coming on.

Jack

I thought about that at first to Chris. But now it is having a hard time getting up a steep hill so I still think it is fuel. And guess where I live, that's right, at the very top of a small mountian.

Jack

Check your fuel pressure. If it's low it would cause the same problem.
Chrysler did not put an inline filter on any late model vehicle. It sounds
like a pump to me. Good luck. Green Duster

Coyote Jack said:
I thought about that at first to Chris. But now it is having a hard time getting up a steep hill so I still think it is fuel. And guess where I live, that's right, at the very top of a small mountian.

Jack

Right. A fan clutch that is completely locked up, will cause a loss of power--as well as making the same noise you describe.

68-340-S nailed it perfectly. Thanks dude. I have never seen one go this quick. Put the new one on and problem is solved.

Jack

Good deal!
I didn't get a light on with mine. I had to replace mine at apx. 74K then over a year later at apx 89K I got a letter from Dodge saying the would replace cats up to the 80K warranty! Got to love it. Now you know why I don't gamble....I can't win! lol

-
Back