Not Cool!

-

1969GTS

Reaction score
I'm starting to run out of ideas. Just put in a new Northern aluminum radiator. 22"X19" with two huge 1" cooling cores. I switched to a 7 blade viscous fan, new 160 thermostat, set the fuel mixture a little richer as the plugs were grey and I'm still creeping up around 200 degrees. I'm going to power time it until it pings and back it off two degrees. The only other thing I can think of is to take the rad out of the transmission cooling loop with a 3500 stall. I think the viscous unit on this fan is NFG as its slow and I can stop it with my finger (dumb I know). I'll switch back to the flex fan until I can get a new viscous unit. Any other ideas? pleeeeaaasssee?

IMG_2985.jpg

You may be onto something with the trans cooling loop, but I've never heard of that being a problem. If the viscous clutch is bad, that is probably your problem.
Where is your fan shroud???
They really do work. The auto manufacturer's of the world would not use them if they were not necessary.

P.S. Have you thought about using an electric fan?
I installed a 16" with a shroud hooked to a thermostatic switch and a relay. That car never ran so consistent with the belt driven fan.

Get a fan shroud, it will make a difference.
I street drive my car with 900hp with no problems.

I would check your fan clutch, it should at least cut your finger if not remove a piece of it if it`s working right. A fan shroud would go a long way and generally you`re much better off with a 180* thermostat.

I have one but it doesn't fit. I'm a terrible welder and wouldn't be able to fab up a fan shroud. Is there an after market one that a guy could make work?

A 160 thermostat will stay open all the time, and if that is a fresh build 200 degrees is about right 195 is good, Have you tried a different temp gage.
I had one show me 210 and I could put my hand on the radiator.
Just a thought.

Anything over 200 I would start worrying but as long as you are under 200 and the it's not running hot with steam shooting out then I would leave it alone. Mine is a fairly fresh build and runs around 190 to 195 in stop and go traffic. Mike's suggestion of trying a different temp gauge is a good suggestion.

I see you've got a mechanical temp guage so your numbers are probably good. I'd dump the viscous fan and go to 6 blader (non flex) and a 180 deg thermo. That's what I run and no problems unless you're stuck in traffic.

Terry

Totally agree with memike about the 160 degree t'stat. It stays open all the time..........The fluid needs to sit in the radiator awhile to cool. Try a 185 t'stat and if you can, get a shroud, that is also good for 10 degrees or so.

And just so you know, I live in the bloody hot desert....105 today:sunny:

Be kewl.........8)

Just took it out with an old flex fan on it and it never got over 170 despite the fan being 2 1/2" from the rad. My viscous coupling is shot for sure. I'll find a new coupling (anyone have one for sale?) and dump that flex fan ....... they always worry me. I'll get a shroud fabed up as well.

Thanks all ........... I'm cool again, I'n my own mind anyway.

You need fan shroud,180 0r 195 termostat,and I would change the fan blade to a stanard 6 or 7 blade fan.No flex fan they are junk.
Jim

Just took it out with an old flex fan on it and it never got over 170 despite the fan being 2 1/2" from the rad. My viscous coupling is shot for sure. I'll find a new coupling (anyone have one for sale?) and dump that flex fan ....... they always worry me. I'll get a shroud fabed up as well.

Thanks all ........... I'm cool again, I'n my own mind anyway.
Just my two cents worth. The fan you show in the photo (in my opinion) is to close to the radiator. Being that close it can't effectively draw air through the radiator. It should sit back a bit more. If your flex fan works sitting back at 2 1/2 inches, there's your problem. I had the same problem once. Moved the fan back and my engine ran cooler. Also run a 6 or seven blade fixed fan and keep it at 2 inches or so. See how that works for you.

Just my two cents worth. The fan you show in the photo (in my opinion) is to close to the radiator. Being that close it can't effectively draw air through the radiator. It should sit back a bit more. If your flex fan works sitting back at 2 1/2 inches, there's your problem. I had the same problem once. Moved the fan back and my engine ran cooler. Also run a 6 or seven blade fixed fan and keep it at 2 inches or so. See how that works for you.

Never thought of that!

thanks

We have that same radiator in the Duster but we went with a 17'' electric fan and its on a thermo switch . The Duster has a fresh 360 in it .We put a 180
thermostat. The fan rarely kicks on and then its just for a short time. Never have had a heat problem yet

Bob / Bryce

We have that same radiator in the Duster but we went with a 17'' electric fan and its on a thermo switch . The Duster has a fresh 360 in it .We put a 180
thermostat. The fan rarely kicks on and then its just for a short time. Never have had a heat problem yet

Bob / Bryce

May go that route as well. I like the viscous fan for the horse power savings so the electric is even better.

They're on the right track with the hotter temp thermostat,and I seen a few of them viscious fans fail,I run the flex alite plastic fans,goood for 10000 rpm's and will never fail ya.

1969dartgts, I can make a shroud with the electric fan mounted in it for ya. I would need the exact measurements of the radiator core and the top and bottom flanges. I can make it out of aluminum and have it take up about 1.5" of space behind your radiator.

P.S. There's always this option:
http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/1040685/10002/-1

1969dartgts, I can make a shroud with the electric fan mounted in it for ya. I would need the exact measurements of the radiator core and the top and bottom flanges. I can make it out of aluminum and have it take up about 1.5" of space behind your radiator.

P.S. There's always this option:
http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/1040685/10002/-1

Thanks for the offer, I sure apreciate it but I'll try and come up with a shroud with out putting you out. If I get stuck I'll get ahold of you and we can work something out.

Thanks a ton though

Trust me 200 is no big deal heat is horsepower.I had a 66 Beaumont with a 396 that used to get to 240 in stop and go used to freak me out but i lived with it never over heated.So dont worry about 200.You should run a 190 anyway 160 is too cool IMHO.

I agree with the rest, 180 stat-make sure it's a high flow. I have a similar rad, I bought a summit prefabbed shroud. My electric fan is off center so I got the larger(wider) shroud cut it to fit.. Car runs below 200 all day..As a side note, I don't run my trans cooler thru the rad....

Bob

hi all, running a 440 four speed,getting bit hot,thinking of junking viscous and going electric,what seems better,engine side mounted to suck air through or blow or other? cheers for any help people!

bike and cars stuff (3).jpg

looks like the fan is mounted on backwards???
hi all, running a 440 four speed,getting bit hot,thinking of junking viscous and going electric,what seems better,engine side mounted to suck air through or blow or other? cheers for any help people!

-
Back