not enough time to work on the car

-

kursplat

Reaction score
my uncle passed away a few weeks ago and i'm spending all my free time cleaning his place out.
this is just the stuff, (so far), i'm either keeping or not trashing
DSC02000.JPG

DSC02001.JPG

DSC02002.JPG

DSC02003.JPG

DSC02004.JPG

wow. i been in houses that looked like that and i cant imagine inventorying all that stuff. but I'd toss that bin of old batteries to start.

DSC02014.JPG

tube from his home made x-ray machine
DSC02015.JPG

DSC02016.JPG

pre-inductive timing light. you hook up the lead inline with the plug wire
DSC02017.JPG

DSC02018.JPG

i see 2 O-scopes. 3 phase motors...shoot me a pic of that silver bench power supply on top of the green bin in pic 2

ugh, been there a few times. the wife's uncle and dad were both pack rats. had to get a semi to empty all the old records at her uncle's 3 apartments. filled 2 huge dumpsters with trash at her dad's place. part of the reason we both started tossing stuff at home instead of saving everything.

ugh, been there a few times. the wife's uncle and dad were both pack rats. had to get a semi to empty all the old records at her uncle's 3 apartments. filled 2 huge dumpsters with trash at her dad's place. part of the reason we both started tossing stuff at home instead of saving everything.
Im getting ready to do that. Also I seem to recall you can hire an auctioneer to empty and sell the "good stuff" i dont know if they clean the "junk" up...

That pic that looks like batteries are capacitors, old school 70s style not the micro stuff of today. OP if you were inclined you could sell them to the right electronics geek.

What was your Uncle a retired Air Force electronics man?

No one really knows what to keep and what to toss. If you have a imagination that predicts a Thunderdome like society, you have to consider what is involved in storing things for that eventual time. Next question is do you have the resources to protect it from thieves? I simply pray I don't live to see such a time.
I am sorry you lost a family member. My mom is now 80.8 and in poor health. Dad is 80.2 and she is wearing him out trying to go through and clear some stuff. Granted most of what she has accumulated through the years is paper, B-day cards, Mother Day cards, financial records, etc.., but... several large totes of it. She says she wants to clear clutter, make it easier on her kids. If my dad had accumulated a lot of stuff like your uncles' , You and I and would have no idea where/when he acquired it. I told mom, "I might enjoy seeing a card that I bought or made for you in 3rd grade again". I shouldn't have said that. Just made it harder on her (Dad told me so). I'm sure you have enough of your own stuff for someone to deal with some day. If you sell the uncles stuff on ebay, he just might look down and ask, "Why didn't I do that?", or he might say, "That is exactly why I didn't do that".
Off into left field before I end. My son-in-law watches so much TV like Storage Wars that it got him. They bided and won a storage bin 2 weeks ago. They put a whole day into sorting and hauling some stuff to the dump. Then the made a trip to the pawn shop with the jewelry they found, and got more than there original investment. Next weekend they are off to the auction where there earned 1.2 times their investment. I figure he is really hooked now. LOL
Good luck to you.

no batteries, those are caps. he might of been a borderline hoarder, but i've been in hoarder's houses and his wasn't like those. as someone who likes to do a lot of their own crap, i can see a reason for pretty much everything he kept.
over the last 70 years he was into chemistry, optics (ground his own lenses), high speed photography (built a firing range in the crawl space under his parents house so he could have a dark place to photograph bullet impacts), electronics (i'll get the pics of some stuff he built later) and astronomy. there's an electronics place near by that also buys stuff. i'm just getting everything out and sorted first. no one else in the family is into most of this stuff. i'll go through the tools but there won't be much of those i'll keep. biggest problem is i need to make room for the lathe. i've already tossed a bigger pile than this
What was your Uncle a retired Air Force electronics man?
no, worked at a big film processing place for 40+ years maintaining and modifying the machinery.

ugh, been there a few times...part of the reason we both started tossing stuff at home instead of saving everything.
ya, us too. we've told the kids not to feel bad about tossing anything we leave.

Wow did he have a lot of testing equipment or what! Caps, old ones, big'ns too.
Any tubes?
boxes of them. he also made his own vacuum tubes

No one really knows what to keep and what to toss...
Good luck to you.
thanks. the stuff any of us like, we're keeping. the rest is charity, recycling or tossed

no batteries, those are caps. he might of been a borderline hoarder, but i've been in hoarder's houses and his wasn't like those. as someone who likes to do a lot of their own crap, i can see a reason for pretty much everything he kept.
over the last 70 years he was into chemistry, optics (ground his own lenses), high speed photography (built a firing range in the crawl space under his parents house so he could have a dark place to photograph bullet impacts), electronics (i'll get the pics of some stuff he built later) and astronomy. there's an electronics place near by that also buys stuff. i'm just getting everything out and sorted first. no one else in the family is into most of this stuff. i'll go through the tools but there won't be much of those i'll keep. biggest problem is i need to make room for the lathe. i've already tossed a bigger pile than this
no, worked at a big film processing place for 40+ years maintaining and modifying the machinery.

ya, us too. we've told the kids not to feel bad about tossing anything we leave.

boxes of them. he also made his own vacuum tubes

thanks. the stuff any of us like, we're keeping. the rest is charity, recycling or tossed
'Good/working' Tubes you can use in guitar amps are worth selling.

everyone, please don't turn this into something a MOD might mistake for a sales thread. just posting pics because i know people here enjoy looking at this stuff as much as i do.

There used to be an electronics swap meet down in El Segundo / Torrance area.

I’d take the unwanted tools and more generic stuff to Fall Fling. Since it’s close to you.

everyone, please don't turn this into something a MOD might mistake for a sales thread. just posting pics because i know people here enjoy looking at this stuff as much as i do.
And that's always what happens.

-
Back