Not sure what I am seeing on this cam

-

Fstforward

Barracuda Freak
Reaction score
I pulled the 340 out of the Barracuda this morning, opened the motor up, and the following pics are what I see on the cam. In my opionio, it looks like the cam has problems, maybe early stage devouring itself, I need ot know if this is a wrong assumption on my part, or if it's actually the cam tearing itself up.

Sorry if the pics are crappy quality

FF

DSC00371.jpg

DSC00377.jpg

camshaft.jpg

In my very limited experience I don't think those lobes look very happy.:angry7:Hang in there and some of our great techs will help you out.8)

I have no idea how much time is on the cam, the 340 was in the car when I bought it earlier this year. It seemed to run okay, but this jumped out at me as soon as I took the intake off and looked cam-ward. I figure it's not right, and the engine is getting torn down, but I know now I won't be re-using this cam, that's for sure, or the lifters. May be time to go to roller cam/lifters/rockers.

FF

replace it. That doesnt look good. Allso check the bearings and if they have marks, tear the block down to bare and have it cleaned///

I have a NEW Mopar 509 cam and tapper set if you are interested

Sorry but stick a fork in her, she's done.
If I had to guess I'd say the lifter ain't rotating in the bore like she's supposed to and digging in. Take a picture of the bottom of the lifter and post it, curious to see.

Terry

AS far as oil, whatever was in it when I got the car. It hasn't been on the road at all since I've had it, only started a few times.

I wondered if there was lube problem, but judging by the puddles on the heads and in the cam galley, it's been getting oiled.

Oh well, this allows me to upgrade, cam wise, while I rebuild the engine.

The back lobe isn't the only one that looks like this, just that it was the best picture. There are at least 6 or 8 lobes with similar marking and wear, so I guess it was only a matter of time.....

FF

That looks familiar - I pulled a Comp 268 out of a low mileage 340 last summer that looked similar, no real polish to the surfaces - looked dull and had small "bubbles" (pinholes) over much of the surfaces - I guess porous metal fits the description, but not sure why it looked that way. Looked like doodoo so I went with a Voodoo (sorry, couldn't help it). I still have the cam and may post pics later.

On the oiling... Cam lobes are only oiled by splash. Oil fining up off the crank predominantly. So I doubt it is an oiling issue. Also, it could be that there is no problem they just look iffy. As was posted... show a clear pic of the lifter face from that lobe. If that looks good then there really wasnt a problem other than the appearance.

Looks like it's headed to paper weight stage.Time to upgrade.

I wouldnt re-use them, but they have not really started to break down completely.

My line of thinking is that I'm going total teardown, complete check out of crank, block heads, valves, new rings bearings, now cam and lifters, so I might spend the extra $$$ and go roller, if for nothing else, the peace of mind that I won't be tearing up a cam if I forget additives, or if the breakin isn't done perfectly.

FF

i see scars on the lifter on the second pic., evidence of lifter not circulating.

Looks to me like there has been crap in the oil -maybe the filter was clogged, some metal particles or something. Those lifters have had it -you can clear see they are concave, not convex like they should be. They won't rotate properly unless they have a convex surface, so they are clearly worn beyond use.

What you seem to have there is a very normal looking OLD CAM SHAFT.
The lobes look fine for a old cam, OTHER THEN THE HOLES.
Look were the lifter doesn't ride on the cam,it has what looks like EVEN BIGGER HOLES, and theres only one word to describe what happened.
WATER DAMAGE.
Thats why the holes on the cam look worn down compared to the holes were the lifter does not hit.
The motor was not used for a long period of time and was left outside or in a high moisture enviroment most likely.
The cam still worked fine (good metal)but has seen better days.
LACK OF MAINTENANCE.VERY DIRTY MOTOR,AND WATER DAMAGE.
GOOD LUCK8)

stored unused for a couple years at some point. I agree with T67POWER. just pitted from rust from condensation building up in a non run engine. soon as its fired the surface rust was wiped away and the pits remain. I replaced a cast iron intake with an aluminum manifold "in the car" on a perfect running 273. it had those same pits all over the place. I was disappointed to see this and decided to just leave it alone and run it till it goes. I drove the car 2 more years and sold it this way. never had a single problem with it. the guy who bought the car from me on ebay drove it 600 miles home and called me to tell me it purred without any problems. probably still running today. if you are going into the motor anyway I would certainly swap it out though.

Valve train trashed. I could show pics of concave lifters too.
If you ask, at Autozone, they can go in the back, and bring out Lucas break-in additive. It's like a secret, unless you ask. Not on the shelf.
Last break-in with it seems fine.

-
Back