Note about parts store rebuilt carbs

-

Inertia

Reaction score
More than a dozen years ago, my parts guy with a 318 asked me if
I would set up a carb for him, he had just put on, and wouldn't work right.
It was running terrible, pulled top, first off, the metering rods were mismatched, one was bent 90* and totally missed the jet.
I replaced it with a pair I had, but it still ran shitty, he said he'd get another and be back the next few days, he did, next carb not much better, throttle shaft was bent, wouldn't idle down without huge spring.
Tried 2 more, I had more than 6 hrs into it, I asked for the old carb, to rebuild it, - but it had been sent back as core.
This is not the first "rebuilt" carb I have experienced this, several in fact ! !
The rebuilder takes dozens of similar carbs, takes THEM ALL APART, and dumps them in a vat of cleaner. Then makes carbs of mismatched? parts ! !
I got pissed off, whipped the 2 bbl off, put on a 340 iron manifold and 600 Holley in a coupla hours, no charge .

Moral . . It's often better to rebuild the devil you know .
jmo

Last edited:
Rebuilts have ALWAYS sucked, particularly carbs. I worked on my own and friends cars since I was 16, and I'm 75 now. I sold parts for about 15 years starting in 74, from 2 different (independent) stores. Brake shoes were normally exchange through Raybestos, etc, so they were not too bad. Starters, generators, alternators, mostly worked, but you expected a few back. But carbs are the most delicate. Frankly, I'm surprised we didn't have MORE trouble.

It is the same with alternators and starters too. This is why alternators no longer have the output that their part number suggests.

I have had excellent luck with rebuilt alternators and power steering pumps.
I've has spotty luck with NEW mini starters.
For carburetors, I've dealt with a guy in town that ran his own Carburetor shop. He does a good job.

More than a dozen years ago, my parts guy with a 318 asked me if
I would set up a carb for him, he had just put on, and wouldn't work right.
It was running terrible, pulled top, first off, the metering rods were mismatched, one was bent 90* and totally missed the jet.
I replaced it with a pair I had, but it still ran shitty, he said he'd get another and be back the next few days, he did, next carb not much better, throttle shaft was bent, wouldn't idle down without huge spring.
Tried 2 more, I had more than 6 hrs into it, I asked for the old carb, to rebuild it, - but it had been sent back as core.
This is not the first "rebuilt" carb I have experienced this, several in fact ! !
The rebuilder takes dozens of similar carbs, takes THEM ALL APART, and dumps them in a vat of cleaner. Then makes carbs of mismatched? parts ! !
I got pissed off, whipped the 2 bbl off, put on a 340 iron manifold and 600 Holley in a coupla hours, no charge .

Moral . . It's often better to rebuild the devil you know .
jmo
When i worked in a parts store I refused to sell our remans. They never worked right. I pulled two thermoquads and a quadrajet out of boxes in one day and the throttle valve wouldn't even open.
I would rather cut guys a huge break on an edelbrock or holley than sell them garbage. I would rather try one of the new china carbs over a part store reman from united.

50/50 hit or miss. Napa alternators and starters rebuilds were junk but have gotten better. Bobo zone or Advanced are hit or miss. They work about 1 year and seem to quit just after warranty is up.
As for carbs, remember there are not that many carbs on the road today. I do t know of any production vehicles that still have carbs any longer. 20 year old technology and the rebuilds are rebuilt rebuilds by now. Some cores coming from junkyards that some have been sitting for over 20years. When you special order a rebuilt, some are actually a junkyard part that got rebuilt for you. Tough world we live in. Everyone complains now immediately on social media about a bad part. 25 years ago we just boxed it up and brought it back and ordered another one. No way to track that except for BS sessions with the guys at the bar.
Syleng1

I had To go Holleywhen i brought my matching TQ to a rebuilder locally. Even though i marked mone gave me another bad leaking center. Worn shaft. I asked for my old one back and money. He said mine was gone. So Holley it was new in box worked out the box just idle adjust screws

They used to be better but that was 40-50 years ago. I don't know who rebuilds them but you can bet it's not the ol' boy that has done thousands of them.

It's probably like anything else, the industry was sent overseas because they can get the folks there to work in exchange for a chicken a day.

They used to be better but that was 40-50 years ago. I don't know who rebuilds them but you can bet it's not the ol' boy that has done thousands of them.
Now saying that, i have heard pretty good reports from the guys buying remanufactured or factory rebuilt Edelbrock and Holley carbs. THe other brands may have them as well. For instance, Summit sells thousands of Edelbrock carbs. A customer buys one and it doesn't work right out of the box. (manufacturing defect) They don't throw them away, they send them to rebuild and they take it apart and find metal shavings in the main jet. Fixed!
How about the new carbs returned simply because the customer doesn't know how to adjust them. (we have a few of those guys here on the site) The customer marks it as defective and it goes back to repair,checked out, (nothing wrong but taken apart, checked, and properly adjusted anyway) and resold as remanufactured.
These carbs are like you buying a new one and taking it apart for inspection and adjustment before you bolt it on. Almost like blueprinting an engine.

You are always better having someone rebuild your carb if it is a known good one. I avoid "rebuilt" ones, but an untouched carb been sitting for years, greasy are the best ones to start with. An original High Performance carb for your engine is best.

Sometimes those Chineesium Carter BBD knockoffs for $75 ain't that bad!!!?? :thumbsup:
I know a older fella who likes em. I was reading the best thing is snag the throttle base off the chinese carb and put your rebuilt BBD top on it as the throttle shaft bore wear is what gets ya with a BBD... the vacuum leaks.

-
Back