OBD2 Scanner Recommendation

-

gzig5

Reaction score
I know a lot of you guys work on more modern cars and I find myself borrowing a scanner more and more over the last couple years and it's getting old. I'd like to pick up a decently capable scanner that will allow resetting of more advanced codes on ABS, Air bags, Traction control, Purging ABS, etc so I can do some of this maintainance/repair on my own vehicles. Looking for recomendations on units you are familiar with, that don't require a subscription. I know I can get something to read codes for less than $50 but I'd like the more advanced capability and have about a $250 budget, a little higher if you convince me it is worth it.

I think you want a hell of a lot in a scanner for 250 bucks. But good luck with it.

Auto parts reader for under $100 or real mans scanner for $3000.00
$250 will not buy you anything that can actually change anything just read data.

The new snap on scanners are crazy money but are amazing.
Try buying a used repair shop level off face book marketplace or Craigslist.

You might be able to get something more affordable if you go with a scanner that's intended for a specific make and year range, or an "accessport" device and tuning software. I got a VCDS tool for my brother's 2005 VW Passat for a few hundo, full functionality outside of tuning mods (can read all the VW-specific codes and monitor all sensors on the car in real-time) but only works on late-90s to mid-2000s VW/Audi vehicles. I also got an HPTuners accessport and tuning software for my 2000 Buick for similar cost, can scan codes AND modify tunes (very powerful) but you have to pay a fee for "credits" to assign the tool to a specific vehicle. That fee can range from <$100 to quite a bit more depending on the make, model and year range of vehicle you want to tune/scan. You also need a laptop computer to use those devices but it doesn't need to be anything fancy and lower-end laptops are pretty cheap these days (as in, $500 or less).

I only see a use in the $3000 "real man's scanners" for actual professional mechanics, unless like @Syleng1 said you can find a used one for a good deal.

That’s why I am asking. I had a BMW specific scanner for my M5 but it wouldn’t do more than clear codes. I know there are some that are more capable but apparently depends on make/model to a degree. I’ve got Ram, Chrysler, Toyota, and Hondas to deal with at this time. The Cuda I can fix with a screwdriver. If I can’t get something capable then it doesn’t make sense to spend more than $100 for a decent reader.

That’s the issue- if you need to home an abs module or custom set adaptive on an auto transmission a plain scanner can not do that. The big money covers the rights to access priority software. So on a scanner for big truck Diesel engines. Every year You had to pay out $250 for updates for Cat, Cummins and Detroit diesel each. International was less like $180ish.
With out it you could not read and adjust the particular issues. Transmissions like Allison or Brake systems like Bendix had their own software too. Cannot fix a truck on the side of the road without them.

My 2cents, Being a retired Tech mostly GM for 45 years I have a Tech2. I have used all kinds and the Snapon Modis is the one I like. Bidirectional testing and a scope is all I need. There is a new one to compete with the Autell for under a G-note. Only issue it is made in China.

A tech 2 is a dedicated gm scanner, just like ford has their rotunda and dodge has their DRB. None will do the other brands.
Your better with an OTC Genesis or a snap on
Never messed with a modus, I have the Solus. They've had a few versions of the Solus, the first one I had could only be updated to 2014, my current Solus legend is good to '21 and is bugging me for an update from there (but I don't want to spend the money, it's current enough for me)

You probably want something from Autel or Launch.

I have an Autel TS608, which was about $1000 bucks with a bunch of TPMS sensors a few years back. It will read anything (including motorcycles and tractors) OBD2 and the manucturer level codes, program TPMS sensors and some service type stuff (resetting service indicators, bleeding brakes, etc). What it won't do is bi-directional controls like energizing relays or programmibg modules. For that stuff you need a 2k-10k tool.

Updates are $200-300/year (they have sales) but it won't stop working if you don't buy the update.

For bi-directional controls and advanced tests, I picked up an 10+ year old, used Snap-On Verus that was updated through 2016 for about $250. The Snap-On works great for most cars (and has an o-scope) but it's a tank and if it dies there is no way in hell I'm paying the money to get it fixed.

I wanted to check out an autel or launch scanner back when I bought my most recent snap on. But nobody within 50 miles of here had one on the tool truck or on the shelf for me to see touch feel.
And I didn't want to spend that much money blindly sight unseen. I see them in the ads in trade mags like undercar digest and "motor" magazine but never any word on anyplace local to actually check one out.

Get the best you can afford. CHeck out what is available and how they are updatable. I sold MAC/OTC for 3 decades but the good ones are high priced for sure. Anything you buy will be generic OBD2 from 96 and newer. They probably won't have manufacturer specific codes and information. They may have basic bi-directional capabilities, ABS, and body control diagnostics.

That’s the issue- if you need to home an abs module or custom set adaptive on an auto transmission a plain scanner can not do that. The big money covers the rights to access priority software. So on a scanner for big truck Diesel engines. Every year You had to pay out $250 for updates for Cat, Cummins and Detroit diesel each. International was less like $180ish.
With out it you could not read and adjust the particular issues. Transmissions like Allison or Brake systems like Bendix had their own software too. Cannot fix a truck on the side of the road without them.
Where I work the Snapon scanner was just updated and our snap off guy was explaining that to my boss. Watching that conversation was like being a witness to a caveman learning English. So when we have something newer come in the shop he expects a miracle that our scanner an it will be able to do something other than read the code. But he's always complaining about getting azz raped an loosing money sending it to the dealer or another shop that actually comprehends. The concept of having to pay for the softwares needed to correctly diagnose/repair. He's stuck in the 70-80 error where everything was mechanical and simple. I guess a simple time for a simple mind

-
Back