Manual Trans Advice- the Importance of Matching Your Clutch To Your Application...

-

weedburner

Reaction score
A clutch rating is just a quick/dirty way for the typical aftermarket clutch buying customer to feel assured that the clutch they buy isn't going to slip against the torque their engine is capable of. From the perspective of the aftermarket clutch manufacturer, if the clutch breaks something else downstream it's not their problem, at least the customer won't come back complaining about a weak clutch.

The T5 5spd serves as a good example. The T5 was an OE transmission for both GM and Ford, and the 2.95 gearset versions for both versions are nearly identical as far as case/gear strength. But the GM 2.95 V8 version has a reputation as being weak while it's pretty common to see Ford 2.95 V8 version running 10's on the dragstrip with slicks. The difference is the clutches that are commonly used with each version. GM T5 guys almost always go to the aftermarket and end up with around 2800-2900lbs of clamp from a 10.5" diaphragm, while the go-to clutch for the Ford T5 guys is the Ford Motorsport "King Cobra" 10.5" diaphragm which has 2124lbs of clamp.

Problem is the typical aftermarket clutch customer doesn't realize the ideal clutch is one that WILL slip. Not a clutch that slips against the maximum HP/TQ number that the engine is capable of, the clutch isn't going to see that static number at any point while the car is working its way thru the gears. The target should instead be a clutch that slips for a half second or so after a WOT shift into high gear.

The Racepak graph below is of a dragstrip pass with an engine that puts out around 425ftlbs max WOT steady state. I added some averaged binary torque numbers to the lower part of the graph to reflect the calculated torque that the engine applied to the transmission's input shaft during the pass. Note how this 425ftlb engine put out way more than 425ftlbs when it is losing rpm, and much less than 425ftlbs when it is gaining rpm. At no time during this pass was this 425ftlb engine actually sending 425ftlbs to the transmission's input shaft, because at no time during this pass was the engine operating at a constant rpm. The engine was either losing or gaining rpm at every point after launch while it worked its way thru the gears. Note that during the climb in 1st gear, less than half of that engine's potential torque output was actually reaching the transmission's input shaft!
...you might ask- WHERE DID ALL THAT MISSING TORQUE GO???...

clutchtamerUinput.png

To wrap your head around this, it helps to think of the engine's rotating assy as a torque storage device. Everything spinning ahead of the transmission's input shaft is all basically one big energy storing flywheel. The reality is that some of this engine's torque was being absorbed by its rotating assy as it gained rpm, and then that absorbed/stored torque was returned as rpm was drawn out of that engine's rotating assy against WOT.

From there, it's important to understand that the rate that the clutch draws engine rpm down is what controls how that absorbed/stored torque gets applied to the transmission's input shaft. Using nice round numbers to make it easy to grasp the inverse relationship, let's say a rotating assy gains 2000rpm in 1 second while absorbing 200ftlbs of torque during the engine's climb to the 1/2 shift point...
...If the clutch then draws out the same 2000rpm over the same 1 second time period after the shift, 200ftlbs gets added back to the input shaft torque for 1 sec.
...If the clutch then draws out 2000rpm over 0.5sec (half the time), 400ftlbs of torque (double the torque) gets added to input shaft torque for that 0.50sec.
...If the clutch then draws out 2000rpm over 0.25sec, 800ftlbs of torque gets added to input shaft torque for that 0.25sec.
All three above examples of discharge rate release the same quantity of energy. Give the car 200ftlb "boost" for 1sec (200 x 1 = 200), vs a 400ftlb boost for .5sec (400 x .5 = 200), vs an 800ftlb boost for .25sec (800 x .25 = 200), it's all basically the same amount of boost available from 2000rpm's worth of returning energy.

When you go beyond daily driving and move to the track, drawing that stored energy out too fast can cause other problems downstream. The initial problems are likely to be either traction or finding weak links in your drivetrain. If the tires go up in smoke, the typical solution is to buy better tires. If the problem is wheelhop, new bushings/shocks/chassis components. If the driveshaft or u-joints fail, bigger/stronger parts. If the transmission breaks, stronger trans. Break rear gears/diff/axles, spend another pile of money on a rear upgrade. But even after you get all those things sorted out, you will find your combination is still not performing to its potential, as now the engine bogs. When the root cause of the cascading problems is an overkill clutch that draws too much torque from the rotating assy, addressing that problem first could save you from making a lot of un-necessary upgrades.

Given that a 2000rpm discharge releases the same basic quantity of energy regardless of how fast you lose the rpm, you have to ask yourself how big of a torque spike can your drivetrain/chassis efficiently handle? Are the tires going to be shocked into excessive wheelspin and waste a large portion of the returned energy? Is it going to break something? Would it be better to use a clutch that draws 400ftlbs of stored energy over 0.50sec rather than one that draws 800ftlbs over 0.25sec?

The clutch's stored energy draw rate is every bit as important to the performance of a stick shift car as choosing the right converter for an automatic car. When you just bolt in a typical non-adjustable clutch, you are pretty much locked into whatever rate it might pull your engine down against WOT. There is no advantage to buying a clutch that pulls 800ftlbs out of a 425ftlb engine's rotating assy. Don't buy a clutch with plans to "grow into it", it is far better to pick one that's the best match for your engine and use. Not a situation where too much is just right. Excess torque capacity not only increases the clutch's potential to inflict damage on your drivetrain, but it will also slow you down at the dragstrip.

All that said, I make devices that can momentarily soften the hit of any clutch. This enables your existing clutch to initially hit like a much softer unit without giving up any of it's holding power. A diaphragm clutch controlled by one of my Hitmaster units recently took home the $10k winner's share in the stick shift class at the '22 World Cup Finals!!!

Grant

I do make the ClutchTamer, but the advice above applies to any manual trans car with or without a 'tamer. The better matched the clutch is to the application, the quicker it will be and the less likely it will be to break parts.

Grant

So you're telling me the lightweight flywheel and pressure plate I just put in my strictly street car is bad?

I do make the ClutchTamer, but the advice above applies to any manual trans car with or without a 'tamer. The better matched the clutch is to the application, the quicker it will be and the less likely it will be to break parts.

Grant
I've got a McLeod softlocker.

20221215_103541.jpg

So you're telling me the lightweight flywheel and pressure plate I just put in my strictly street car is bad?
The focus of the post isn't component weight, it's about why you should avoid overkill amounts of clutch clamp pressure.

It's not uncommon to see a car with an overkill clutch shave half a second off it's et by installing a more suitable clutch, might have to add 75-100hp to net a similar gain from the engine modifications alone. That may or may not be important for a strictly street car.

Grant

Using your brakes also creates heat and shortens brake life, but as long as you do not overheat them they will last a good long while. Same with a clutch. We are talking extending slip time a few tenths of a second, which can make a huge difference in terms of impact on the drivetrain.

If you are not slipping something in a drag race scenario though, you are slow! While a properly slipping clutch does "waste" some power that gets absorbed into the clutch assy as heat, that slipping actually makes it possible to net an overall power production gain. That's because slipping allows the engine to make more power strokes in a given time frame, and that power production gain can more than offset the loss of heat energy absorbed by the clutch. Also because the car is gaining speed while the clutch is slipping, engine rpm does not get pulled down as far after the shift as the ratio change predicts, further raising average rpm. It is possible for the clutch to slip too much and squander your power production gains, the trick is finding the sweet spot.

Grant

Thank You Grant for this write up. I have been trying to explain this to fellow 3 pedal racers and performance street car enthusiast for a long time, although not nearly as well as you just did now and over the years. My biggest pet peeve is the clutch that seems to be the most recommended clutch of all, which I consider the biggest parts breaker and harshest engaging clutch you can put in your car. Yes I am talking about the famous CenterForce dual friction and like you said in your second paragraph, if this clutch had about 500# less base pressure it would be a lot friendlier set up.
P.S. Your clutch tamer is the one thing I recommend to any one that is taking there street car to the track, it's the number 1 best speed part and least expensive part for a stick car you can buy.

GRANT!

1st up! Congratulations!

2nd, I was about to ask where you have been but I guess that’s obvious now. Busy racing!

Good to know that at least 2 people understand what you just said. Not to appear that I am stupid, we all have our strong and weak points, but, I still wouldn't know which clutch to install in my car.

CRUZE 418, the best way for me to explain it is when you flat foot the throttle and dump the clutch with slicks or real sticky tires and the car goes blaaa with a big bog and tries to throw you through the windshield and then a second later slams you back in the seat. then on the shifts you feel and hear that big bang in the driveline and feels like the trans, rear axle, and driveshaft are going to blow out the back of the car, that's to much clutch. You need a clutch with less static pressure and/or a Clutch Tamer to control the hit of the clutch. Or you can spend the big bucks like some of us do and buy an adjustable Soft-Loc clutch like 66Valaint528 shows a picture of above, but there is a big learning curve with those clutches.

I was looking at that pressure plate. If it means a lot of playing around adjustable pressure plate, I run a scatter shield, probably not my cup of tea. Neither do I know what a clutch tamer is . This is kinda why I said something. To everyone that understands it, probably didn't need to be told. Clutches slip, they all do, that's what they do. Though I sort of understand what your saying, I don't know how to do it. Just like I don't understand how to set up my triangulated 4-link. I have the book, but it's over the top for me. It's a street car, someone is always faster. So I am just running the CF ll clutch that I have.
Thank you for trying though.

CRUZE 418, the best way for me to explain it is when you flat foot the throttle and dump the clutch with slicks or real sticky tires and the car goes blaaa with a big bog and tries to throw you through the windshield and then a second later slams you back in the seat. then on the shifts you feel and hear that big bang in the driveline and feels like the trans, rear axle, and driveshaft are going to blow out the back of the car, that's to much clutch. You need a clutch with less static pressure and/or a Clutch Tamer to control the hit of the clutch. Or you can spend the big bucks like some of us do and buy an adjustable Soft-Loc clutch like 66Valaint528 shows a picture of above, but there is a big learning curve with those clutches.
Still learning how to use my soft locker.

The combination certainly is important, but just as much is HOW you drive.

Like I said before, a clutch rating is just a quick/dirty way for the typical aftermarket clutch buying customer to feel assured that the clutch they buy isn't going to slip against the torque their engine is capable of. From the perspective of the aftermarket clutch manufacturer, if the clutch breaks something else downstream it's not their problem, at least the customer won't come back complaining about a weak clutch.

The typical aftermarket GM/Mopar pattern 10.5" diaphragm PP installed out of the box has about 2800lbs of clamp. Hard to find anything less in the aftermarket....
...With an organic disc, 2800lbs is ballpark for an engine with around 500ftlbs of torque.
...With a typical dual friction disc, 2800lbs is ballpark for an engine with around 775ftlbs of torque.
...With a ceramic puck disc, 2800lbs is ballpark for an engine with around 850ftlbs of torque.
...With an iron puck disc, 2800lbs is ballpark for an engine with around 825ftlbs of torque.

But what if your engine puts out something other than 500, 775, 825, or 850ftlbs? You could calculate a percentage of the above numbers to get you in the ballpark.

Say your engine puts out 600ftlbs, how much clamp would you then need for a typical dual friction disc? The above says 2800lbs of clamp on a dual friction disc is ballpark for 775ftlbs. If you divide 600 by 775, you get .77 which means you would need 77% of 2800lbs or 2800 x .77 = 2156. In other words a 600ftlb engine needs about 2156lbs of ballpark clamp on a 10.5" dual friction disc. Good luck finding that in the aftermarket.

Ideally though you are not looking for a clamp number, you are looking for a clutch that has just enough clamp to pull the engine down in about 1/2 a second after a WOT shift into high gear. The amount of clamp required to actually do that will vary with gearing and rotating assy weight, easiest way to adjust clamp pressure for the application is to use a Long style pressure plate that has adjustable static pressure. For example, Ram sells several versions of a basic non-CW 11" stamped steel Long with different ranges of adjustment...
#435 is adjustable between 1200-1800lbs
#448 is adjustable between 1500-2100lbs
#438 is adjustable between 1800-2400lbs
#458 is adjustable between 2200-2800lbs

All that said, I make devices that can momentarily soften the hit of any clutch. This enables your existing overkill clutch to initially hit like a much softer unit without giving up any of it's holding power. Also allows a clutch that is in the ballpark to work even better. It's a hard fact of stick shift drag racing that your clutch needs to slip more during launch than it does after the shifts.

Grant

I learned all this the hard way. The car in my avatar is a 64 Barracuda. We used a McCleod clutch I purchased from Jammie Passon. When we first had the car together, launch RPM was anywhere from 4500 to 5000. No two step, no rev limiter, no electronic whatsoever. That damn thing would dead hook, pull the front wheels a foot n a half and then go. Luckily, we never broke the trans, driveline, or rear end. At one particular race, I was in the burnout box waiting on a delay. I wasn't paying attention to what gear I was in when they called us through. I should note that we are running the Mr. Gasket inline shifter. On accident I "tried" to do the burnout in 4th. As soon as I let the clutch fly, the engine revved, and I saw the look on my dad's face. I instantly smelled the clutch. Burnt the **** outta that disc. BUT, after that, it would never lift the front like it did before. It became deadly consistent after that. I guess it slipped just enough to get the car out, and when the engine was losing torque at upper RPM, it would let the clutch settle in.

Still working on clutch slip settings on my soft locker. Presently down to 1 turn away from 0 clamping load. Last runs last year when I pulled the car off the trailer and let up on the clutch the car went no where! I gave it gas and it crept forward. Drove around the pits warmed up the fluids, although i must say not the sintered iron disc. Car seemed ok. Got my usual 1.5 something 60 foot 4 times. Called Mc Leod and they told me that's OK. Back it off till the 60 foot gets worse. I asked "Is this clutch working?" He said what have you broken? I replied "nothing" he said it's working. This has been 4 years trying to get a 60 foot. Should I be working on my rear suspension? Calvert suspension with split mono with Viking double adjustable shocks . Or something more basic like tire pressure? I feel like my clutch setting isn't the issue. Track opened last weekend but was called due to snow! Woohoo!

40186.jpeg

Waaaaay back, we used to slip a flat washer or 2 on the bolt, - between the flywheel and pressure plate to soften the engagement.
That was our clutch-tamer, lol

After reading this I am really liking my decision to use the 400hp mcleod clutch on my recent 4 speed swap into my 440 Duster, nice circuit breaker

As to the CFII, I agree, too harsh for my 367 street-combo. I pulled it out in favor of the 100% factory 340 disc.
And yes, Like Inertia in post 28, I installed washers, under the CFII PP.
Now it's a dump it and go deal at low rpm, and the flyweights clamp solid some where north of 3000 rpm.

BTW I recently rediscovered my lost nearly new CFII disc, and guess what, all the pucks were laying in the bottom of the box. The glue had let go!
I was gonna sell it, but I guess I'll take it to the clutch-shop and get some organic crap riveted on first, lol.

To weedburner, excellent post.

-
Back