OE Style Hydraulic Roller Lifter Question

-

BrianT

Here we go again...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 91 roller block LA 360 is at the machine shop right now. The block is cast for roller lifters, but I don't have the spider or bolts to hold it down. The engine will be a 408 and is being built for a Saturday night cruiser, not a race car. We are going to use a hydraulic roller camshaft from Comp (still undecided which one at this point). The Comp Pro Magnum lifters are $530 from Summit.

Is there any reason to spend that kind of money on "retro-fit" lifters when I can buy replacement hydraulic roller lifters for around $120 set? I realize that I will have to buy the spider also, but that's only another $30. Is there that much difference between a name brand replacement (Melling or Elgin) and the "Retro-fit" hydraulic lifters?

Thanks in advance for any help!

The main difference is the alignment bar on the retrofit lifters to keep them from turning. Was told by Comp that the stock lifters were compatible with their hydraulic roller cams. Stock lifters and spiders are lots cheaper. Flat tappets are even less expensive. The whole kit is within $50 of just the roller cam.

The main difference is the alignment bar on the retrofit lifters to keep them from turning. Was told by Comp that the stock lifters were compatible with their hydraulic roller cams. Stock lifters and spiders are lots cheaper. Flat tappets are even less expensive. The whole kit is within $50 of just the roller cam.

What he said

They should be.. Seen Melling and Eaton lifter for sale pretty inexpensive...

i got a couple 91 360 roller blocks..and bought a couple set of those lifters for future use...they were selling for 50 bucks back then...same guy.

picked up a couple of dog bone and spider set ups off ebay ......

picked up a couple of dog bone and spider set ups off ebay ......

I found the spider on Ebay for $30 shipped. Not having much luck with the dog bones. They are called lifter guides by Chrysler and run about $35 EACH new...

I use factory lifters when ever I run a hydraulic roller in a block designed for them.

Thanks guys!! Hughes has these for $6.50 but they are listed for magnum engines and mine is an LA. Will these work?

Hughes link

thumbnail.php

I found the spider on Ebay for $30 shipped. Not having much luck with the dog bones. They are called lifter guides by Chrysler and run about $35 EACH new...

Should be able to find those pretty easily in junk yards.. There were a couple in the local yard here that I was gonna get.. Never did get around to it.

Dog bones are the same for all the roller blocks no matter if its a magnum or not. BTW Retro- fit rollers dont fit in the factory roller blocks, the tie bars hit and wont let the roller touch the cam when on the base circle(at least all the ones I have tried), but our new solid rollers will fit both!

Lifters and spider have been purchased from Ebay. Dog bones have been ordered from Hughes. Thanks everyone for your help!

-
Back