Off set crank grinding

-
Old man MoPar , it's not so much a GM rod as it is a rod with GM journals. The lengths vary as per spec. I'm not sure about the pin size though a smaller pin is t the worst thing in the world.

If your in search of serious HP, the. Re hardening the crank is small peanuts in the grand scene. You need not re harden a crank for general performance useage.

This reminds me of the old days when racers only had to deal with weight to cubes. I can't imagine what it was like for the guys running Modified eliminator or even Pro stock trying to come up with bore/stroke combo's that would make torque and breath at the same time, not to mention the cross breeding that occurred.....

Big bores and heads for breathing, Destroking with short strokes for rpm's and less cubes.....Man, what a fun time in Drag racing. I'm sure at this point, just about every combo has been thought of or talked about, but this is still cool. If it wasn't for car lovers batting around ideas, we would probably not have all the combos/things we have available today.

Lets keep the talk/thinking going, you never know what new combo can emerge from informed smart gearheads like us Mopar guys...:D

My understanding has always been it hadn't a thing to do with engineering. It was all about using a cheap chebbie rod and possibly piston too. But the machine work done RIGHT would more than offset any savings. I just don't see any sense in it. For any reason.

.................I've had a few mopar cranks offset ground to a maximum of .060, that gives u .120 more stroke ,ofcourse u need to find a .060 bearing to do this also raises ur compression over 1 point................kim..........

Good trick,Oldkimmer. I see where he's going.(rumble). The technology nowadays, has made custom rods&pistons way cheaper nowadays ,with CNC machining. We(actually,my ex boss) needed a custom piston set done ,for a low deck 511 stroker. Ross said"Sure,an extra 60 bucks" ,over a standard piston set.

FWIW-
SBC rods are 2.00" for pre-'68, and 2.100" '68 later. Of course you can mix and match with thicker bearings or add stroke and use the smaller rods, as SBC's dont have the crank to cam distance a SBM does and it does cause problems at a point.
SBM rods are 2.125"
Honda rods journals for SBC are 3 sizes iirc- 1.880", 1.850",1.830"
SBC pins are .927, and hold plenty of power.

Old kimmer. Thank you much! Which crank was done?

Aaaaa bomber. Consider the cost of a well prep'd engine, it is amazing how some people (here) will poke fun at and ***** over what amounts to just simple lunch money. At least around these parts. Perhaps it's a week worth of groceries for some old people on a fixed budget. But the should t be building engines anyway, lol but your right. Something's are getting cheaper and possibilities arise. Me? I'm just simpley wondering.

CPMotors, awesome info. I had no idea that Honda rods could fit into a Chevy. This is a custom rod right, like the above mention Gerneric rods?
How much torque and HP can these Honda rods take?
Also, what are the lengths?
Do they come in different lengths?

As know it all Tony points out the cost additions, lets think about what many people are doing here!

New slugs with new rods over the stockers on a stroker crank. Sometimes forged is the choice and at a price as well more expensive than cast/hypertecic and lo-po rods, which still rate better than the OE parts.

It's all just food for thought. Maybe I'll do it, maybe I won't.

Is it possible? Certainly. Is it economical? Not when you're finally standing over a running engine, no. You've got custom crank work, nitriding (and even a low RPM truck IMO needs this once you're past .020 under), an odd rod to buy or your side clearance gets huge, balancing, and trying to match a stock piston that will need work assuming it can be clearanced for any performance cams.
I also plan to do this with my 225 - but that's because there's nothing available and I will be using a custom piston.

.................I've had a few mopar cranks offset ground to a maximum of .060, that gives u .120 more stroke ,ofcourse u need to find a .060 bearing to do this also raises ur compression over 1 point................kim..........

I'm not trying to argue, but if you OFFSET grind a journal .060" there's no way a .060" bearing will fit. Maybe you can expound on that.

Rumble
Only the journal sizes are Honda, rods are still based on SBC design. Common use is circle track and drag engines.
Common rods are 6.0, 6.100, 6.200, 6.250".

Just doing some quick numbers-
Offset grind 3.580 crank .050" to 3.680", from 2.125" to 2.00" journal, use a 6.200 rod, use a shelf 350 piston( both are 4.00" bore) with 1.550 CH and deck height of 9.585/9.590. Valve relief layout is same pattern, but different angles.
Be interesting to see if it would work.

3.680/2= 1.840
1.840+6.200= 8.040"
8.040+1.550= 9.590"

Moper, I see your point. Made yet again with the notation of others. The concerns are understood. What part of that did you miss? The cost is of no concern unless you plan on building one with shallow pockets correct?
(Please don't take it like I'm trying to be a dick)

Bobby, they will be no need for a .060 bearing since the new rod size is smaller. In a example of making use of a Chevy rod. You will use Chevy bearings to fit the Gerneric rod. These are out there.

Pete. Thanks. How long has these rods been available?

Right. But kimmer made no mention of the chebbie journal size. I guess he was takin all that for granted. lol

Rumble
Don't know for sure but a number of years for SBC.
Looks like Scat is way ahead of us. Bet there is a piston available if you look.
http://www.scatcrankshafts.com/#3
Under Chrysler/Connecting rods.
Bottom of page the Pro Comp Rod for 340/360. 6.200 2.000 pin .940 BE width bushed pins.
I use a lot of these rods for GM stuff, very nice for the money.

Nobody's being a dick...lol. We all have our reasons for being ienterested. But for me - if price is not the driving factor what's the point when there are parts on the shelf to do it?
If the goal was to re-use a 360 crank it's like paying to get rid of it rather than getting paid for scrap. I have a 360 crank at .020/.020 with some decent grooving that was in an engine for my truck. I'm replacing it now and I can't see paying more to make any use of it. So that's my point of view anyway.

Hey! I gotta question!

What is the max stroke you can get from a OE Chrysler small block crank?
340 or 360 cranks? I myself have 360's. so that's where my query really is.
Use of the smaller gerneric rods sizes (AKA Chevy rods) help in this area, but to what limit?

Who has done it?
geuss I sould have red a the posts first but I didn't so here goes I know if you put a stoke 360 crank in the 340 block you can get a 372 veray chep or OHIO crank did all the old nascr crankes back in the day and I here there still in bussnes..but you will have to get it rebalanced with molly and I here it is veary $$$$$$$$$$$$$$now..I wish I known that wen you came up I have a 5gal.buket full I would have given you.but now days you can more than likely buy one for the price of the molly??but IM shure you no that to....just trying to help.............Artie

Good question... Im tuned in... I hear of chevy guys doing this and running honda rods. I know a guy who is running a small block 400 chevy crank (w lots of machine work) in a mopar X block w 4.1 bore and W5 heads (he works at the machine shop so all work and hrs are only time. He CLAIMS the chevy cranks are lighter, stronger, with many more rods and pistons to choose from. I believe the 400 is a 3.75 stroke. I know his combo works pretty well. He is turning 5.90s in the 1/8th in an all metal Duster. Not so sure, id want to work on it, but what ever works I guess
a chevy in a MOPAR that's like putting a Cummings crank in a mack!!!!! hahalol:finga::finga::finga::finga::finga:a chevy that's my thut...................Ill bee:lurk::lurk::lurk:artie

My understanding has always been it hadn't a thing to do with engineering. It was all about using a cheap chebbie rod and possibly piston too. But the machine work done RIGHT would more than offset any savings. I just don't see any sense in it. For any reason.
ya rumble,,do you remember that rod and pston haging on my wall in the shop that's what a chey rod looks like after a 7000 rpms and that was there so called good to have pink rod.............heeeeeem Artie :coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::finga::finga::finga:a chevy

LOL, well, the PINK rods were the chit back in the day. Now, there good for what you got it for. Wall art. And that's fine.

Yo, Moper, I just didn't want to come off like a dick. You fine by me and did not take your post in that way. But again, in this discussion, from my point of view, cost is not an option. We're just talking a out it. You keep hammering away at cost. If you take the cost out if the posts, then were getti g somewhere.

If you can't take price out of your head, the. There is really no help coming from you.
If it helps, pretend I'm stupid rich and have no care about money since I'm wiping my *** with $100 bills. ;)

Nobody's being a dick...lol. We all have our reasons for being ienterested. But for me - if price is not the driving factor what's the point when there are parts on the shelf to do it?
If the goal was to re-use a 360 crank it's like paying to get rid of it rather than getting paid for scrap. I have a 360 crank at .020/.020 with some decent grooving that was in an engine for my truck. I'm replacing it now and I can't see paying more to make any use of it. So that's my point of view anyway.

the flip to that is having that crank welded and reground to the stroke stock or new stroke, while having the crank indexed.

Sounds pricey but does open up doors to displacements.

Duh... I spaced it on my earlier response.

You get the same stroke increase as the offset grind. I was thinking only about the rod pin offset.

LOL, well, the PINK rods were the chit back in the day. Now, there good for what you got it for. Wall art. And that's fine.

Talkin about the pink rod.....the Chrysler tock 360 rods were always stronger than the pink rods were. Them chebbie boys thought they had something. lol

-
Back