Offset shackles

-
Have you ever heard of google? Prob 100+ threads on this subject on this site alone. Loads doing it, you will have to move your spring perches inboard as well so that mean welding. Not an issue for most but is for others.

It's a 3/4 of an inch mod...I've heard not worth it and not stable enough...being out of line they tend to weaken...bend...just saying what I heard...

Have you ever heard of google? Prob 100+ threads on this subject on this site alone. Loads doing it, you will have to move your spring perches inboard as well so that mean welding. Not an issue for most but is for others.
You can look on Google and it will find answers on this site? Did not know that. Thanks

It's a 3/4 of an inch mod...I've heard not worth it and not stable enough...being out of line they tend to weaken...bend...just saying what I heard...
Where have you heard that? Several on here doing full autocross and road course racing with offset shackles.

I heard it's too much trouble without moving the perches in also and it only gives you a half inch in the end....they were telling me it binded the geometry of the angle of the springs without moving perches also and they also said it wasn't worth the extra .5 clearance....I'm only repeating what 2 different racers told me

Those who may have "heard" rather than "done" it, may be incorrect. I've done it, and it is 1/2" per side, not 3/4".

That said, not hard to do, huge benefit, and if people really think springs 1/2" inboard will cause stability issues, well I don't know what to say. 1/2" more clearance in the wheelwell of a 67-69 Dart is absolutely huge.

Do it!

Agree I have no use speaking for people that are throwing mixed advice to me.. and I have also thought about doing it myself but have had too many roadblocks from others bad advice....absolutely a Dart can use any room they can get with a closed wheelwell. ..

Agree I have no use speaking for people that are throwing mixed advice to me.. and I have also thought about doing it myself but have had too many roadblocks from others bad advice....absolutely a Dart can use any room they can get with a closed wheelwell. ..
Remind me tomorrow to get you pics

Wow- so much misinformation, all in one thread...
It's advertised as a 3/4" gain per side, but in actuality you get about 1/2".
And it's not just shackles, you need the offset front spring hangers, too.
And any time your move the hangers, you'll need to move the perches, too.
No wonder your "racers" think the rear end binds...

I have them on my 67’ barracuda, I was in the process of adding a 8.8 rear end so it made sense to do it cause I had to weld leaf perches on anyway. No regrets gives you the necessary clearance when adding wider wheels and tires.

I see what you mean they probably got something missing and got them pinched

Wow- so much misinformation, all in one thread...
It's advertised as a 3/4" gain per side, but in actuality you get about 1/2".
And it's not just shackles, you need the offset front spring hangers, too.
And any time your move the hangers, you'll need to move the perches, too.
No wonder your "racers" think the rear end binds...
Yes, it requires hangers, shackles, and cutting and re-welding of the perches.

This mod puts the springs even with the inner wheel house. You must use the offset front hangers plus the shackles and move the perches inward for them to fit and work correctly

The mopar kit will put the leafs in a bind because the front is 1/2" and the rear is 9/16. Not a problem with rubber bushings but the aluminum front bushings wont work. The dr diff set up moves them 1/2 evenly and will not have that problem. That being said, I have the mopar kit on my 69 dart and they did what I needed them to

Here’s a few reference photos.

IMG_2648.jpeg

IMG_2646.jpeg

IMG_2649.jpeg

IMG_2647.jpeg

I didn’t use those perches because the locating pin hole was too big. Moroso has the correct ones.
IMG_2650.jpeg

Yes, it requires hangers, shackles, and cutting and re-welding of the perches.
Sorry thread dig, i have a 8 3/4 we are shortening and using the off set shackles on, do you move the purch exactly half an inch from original location on diff? I am using the dr diff set. As my car is in a shop and diff being built elsewhere so cant mock it up

Yes, a half inch in each side. We did mine last weekend.

View attachment 1716193523
Yes thanks as wasnt 100% if was that exactly and dr diff also said:
Turn the housing UPSIDE DOWN on jack stands.
2. Place a floor jack under the pinion. Use an angle finder to point the pinion 5 degrees downward (toward the ground).
3. Level the perches at 43" and weld. This will result in a 2 degree negative pinion angle when the housing is installed in a stock A-body with my 1/2" offset spring hanger/shackle kit"

-
Back