Oil Dip Stick blowby ??

-

pauls340

Reaction score
Took the Demon340 out yesterday for a 100 mile trip and when I got home there was oil sprayed on the front of the air cleaner and the hood. Didn't see any leaks from valve covers and the only place looks possible the dip stick. Car has run hot in the engine compartment but not on the gauge. Oil pressure gauge showed lower than usual. Any ideas? Thanks

You don't have "dipstick blowby". The engine does not pick one particular place to produce blowby. The dipstick is just the easiest place for it to escape. You have excessive blowby because the rings are shot. The PCV failing "might" cause some blowby to escape, but it is not the cause.

Check where the hose from the PCV goes into the base of the carb...... sometimes that point gets plugged up with hardened oil crud and that has to be dug out and cleaned out. And make sure the PCV hose is not collapsing....using heater hos will not work! It needs to be PCV hose, which is designed to not collapse with a vacuum inside. It may well be worn rings and pistons, but there are a few things to go through first...

Low oil pressure could be just due to a good heat soak of the engine getting the oil hotter than normal, thinning it, and that produced the lower oil pressure. How far and long do you normally drive?

Combined with the post on lower oil pressure - I'm with RRR. You need to do a compression test and leakdown. If it still runs decent you may have some time before it really gets bad.

RRR, wouldn't bad rings cause smoking...actually, I noticed alittle smoke when I jumped on it last week. the motor build is at least 22 years old, I drive it maybe 3 or 4 hundred miles a year, sits all winter. I'm amazed it has stayed together this long; I drive it hard when I do drive it.

Certainly. "Bad rings" and "worn out" define the same. lol

I had this same thing happen to me. It ended up being a bad PCV valve. Threw a new one in and BAM taken care of. I would certainly look at the above also, but sometimes it can be something easy.

Does it have a valve cover breather? Could be stopped up. Does the PVC valve pull strong vacuum with the engine running? Does it feel like a locomotive huffing when you take the oil fill cap off while running?

Absolutely I would try the PCV first after 22 years the hose could be plenty rotted. 400 miles or less a year are we talking like that has less than 10,000 miles on it? I'm sure you've changed the oil a few times?

I've seen a few cases where a fault in the fuel pump filled the crankcase with gasoline.
Same symptoms appear suddenly.

-
Back