Oil filter adapter vs remote oil filter

-

Syleng1

Karma is real and Life is short...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So on my 66’ 273 Barracuda - I have Doug’s headers - please don’t tell him, he will want them back lol!
Anyhow I’m running the factory 90 degree adapter and full size filter and do not want to go smaller filter…but the changing of the oil filter is a PITA. Oil over the headers and the filter goes super tight and is a real tough to get off the adapter.

I want to change over to a remote filter and do it like old skool race car with silver braided lines and blue and red AN fittings.
My only issue is because my car came with the 90 adapter, most of the kits I see on line only come with a plate that bolts onto the oil filter mounting surface and stub. My car does not have that. I donot have any either in my piles of junk. I cannot seem to find a kit that bolts to the bare block.

Yes drill and tap the block would be awesome but with the headers (torsion bar thru the headers mind you. It’s a really tight fit.) I’m looking for an adapter that bolts in like a 90 degree adapter but is straight off the block.

Now the oil filter has to come up thru the engine bay. It will not clear the headers and come out thru the bottom.
Thanks in advance.
Syleng1

image.jpg

I personally am against the remote. You can put a 30 gal garbage bag over your headers, correct the angle of your 90° filter adapter so that you can get an oil filter wrench on the filter, or get a different wrench. Lastly, get some silicone grease to lube your oil filter with, not engine oil, don't overtighten the filter. I have done these steps and really don't have any issues. The remote will too, have its own issues.

Not that I asked for an opinion. Thank you for the tip on the silicon grease. Turning the adapter is minimal at best to improve the angle. With the headers on the car trying to put a socket or wrench on that bolt is near impossible. These early abodies are way tighter than the 67-76 engine bays.

Seems funny, I was a grease monkey at a Dodge dealership back in the day, and don't remember having issues, but maybe it was because I was usually working on the same cars.
Good luck

Seems funny, I was a grease monkey at a Dodge dealership back in the day, and don't remember having issues, but maybe it was because I was usually working on the same cars.
Good luck
How many of those dealership cars had headers? But I get your point. I’m actually looking at a few different sized filter options. Length is actually the issues. Full length filter (Napa gold 1515 or PH8a sized) if I go with a factory length filter I can gain about 1” of room. Thanks again with the silicon grease info.

you'll need something like this: DODGE Canton Racing Products 22-826 Canton Racing Remote Oil Filter Kits | Summit Racing or here's another version: DODGE Hamburger's Performance 3363 Hamburger's Performance Billet Aluminum Remote Oil Filter Relocation Kits | Summit Racing or if you're into moroso: Moroso 23686 Remote Oil Filter Adapter - Walmart.com

you'll need the adapter fitting 3/4-16 to connect the remote adapter.

now here's the tricky part: some remote adapters use the stock filter block plate and some do not. for example, the canton does. this is crucial because this determines how many gaskets you need; and whether the thing pisses oil everywhere on start up and you get to find out what you actually needed.

to play it safe get this: Mancini Racing Oil Filter Adapter Kit and then decide which adapter set up you want to use.

you can also piece together a system. i like this style of adapter plate: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bcn-210/make/dodge with this style of filter mount: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-120150 and then just fab up some lines and call it done.

you'll need something like this: DODGE Canton Racing Products 22-826 Canton Racing Remote Oil Filter Kits | Summit Racing or here's another version: DODGE Hamburger's Performance 3363 Hamburger's Performance Billet Aluminum Remote Oil Filter Relocation Kits | Summit Racing or if you're into moroso: Moroso 23686 Remote Oil Filter Adapter - Walmart.com

you'll need the adapter fitting 3/4-16 to connect the remote adapter.

now here's the tricky part: some remote adapters use the stock filter block plate and some do not. for example, the canton does. this is crucial because this determines how many gaskets you need; and whether the thing pisses oil everywhere on start up and you get to find out what you actually needed.

to play it safe get this: Mancini Racing Oil Filter Adapter Kit and then decide which adapter set up you want to use.

you can also piece together a system. i like this style of adapter plate: DODGE Clear View Filtration 210 Clear View Filtration Oil Filter Block Adapters | Summit Racing with this style of filter mount: Summit Racing SUM-120150 Summit Racing™ Remote Filter Mounts | Summit Racing and then just fab up some lines and call it done.
Thank you so much. That took a lot of energy and I greatly appreciate that. Never had done one in the past so this is a good starting point.

Thank you so much. That took a lot of energy and I greatly appreciate that. Never had done one in the past so this is a good starting point.
happy to help. it's one of those things that's incredibly basic and doesn't have a lot of moving parts but is difficult to describe and then there's the confusion due to the pieces involved all kinda having the same name.

anyway, as you can see there's a bunch of options out there, it's just down to what style and look you want and how much you want to spend.

i will say this, the more expensive stuff is definitely built/machined a little better and tends to be marginally better in fit and finish department which helps in the leak/weeping of oil; but know this going in that almost all of them will weep a little oil no matter how good the parts or install is.

On my truck I did the same. Canton Block plate.

Then the Clear View oil filter block adapter. I like this one because it uses -12AN ORB fittings, which usually never leak.

Then I went physco and used a giant diesel engine oil filter remote mount. I like these because they also use -12AN ORB fittings, have 2 ORB magnets, and use a giant filter.

I use Aeroquip -12 AN pushlok fittings and hose.

IMG_5801.jpeg

IMG_5800.jpeg

IMG_5802.jpeg

IMG_5803.jpeg

IMG_5804.jpeg

IMG_5805.jpeg

All I can add is, make sure not to skimp on the hoses and fittings. Use good stuff. In fact, if you don't HAVE to have the bling of the braided hose, I actually recommend high quality 4 wire hydraulic hose you can get made at a decent parts store or a truck shop. Running as low a pressure as these engines, those hoses will never leak.

we use the short filter on the 90 deg adopter, more room to get to it, napa 1068 filter, when changing filter i place a rag over header tubes , just food for thought.

I've done the 90° adapter the remote oil filter. And finally just went back to screwing on a shorty and taking it on and off from up top with a cheap tall garbage bag over the headers...
MO-090

actually, had a guy show me, he uses a bread sack wraps around filter, then unscrews it, no leaks, just food for thought. it's contained

I've had headers on my 69 340 dart since I bought it in 1981, never had an issue with changing the oil. Oil drips on headers when pulling the filter off big deal, thats what brake clean is for.

Filter is tight and hard to get off, quit putting in on so tight and oil the seal before putting it on, it just has to be hand tight.

my owning a Vintage Mopar is not for a whiner like you, Just Say'in..

And as far as the remote filter, that is just more places for a hose to blow and loose all engine oil

screwing on a shorty and taking it on and off from up top with a cheap tall garbage bag over the headers...
MO-090
That's exactly what I do. Easy peasy and the size of the filter is a non issue with the amount of miles it sees a year.

Side note, because I think that your going to do it, hoses should be replaced every 7 or 8 years. They date aircraft hoses, mandatory replacement. Do them as though your life depends on them, it does. One of my best friends brother was killed at the drag strip when his external oiling system failed, pumped oil out, lost control of his car and nailed the guy his was racing. The other guy lived. Just saying, don't be sloppy, or it's good enough, do it the best you can. and date it. There will be others that disagree with me, but it's your life.
Good luck !

That's exactly what I do. Easy peasy and the size of the filter is a non issue with the amount of miles it sees a year.
Exactly.... I have an 8 qt oil Pan on my car and a 6 court on my truck. ($10 a quart) And if either one of them got two thousand miles in a year I would be shocked..

-
Back