Oil Leak?

-

71dart

Reaction score
I asked a similar question a couple weeks ago but now I am really not sure so here goes

I have a warmed over 360 in my dart with a RPM Air Gap intake and an automatic tranny. I have a oil leak that I can't really find. When cruising around town it is not noticable at stoplights, etc, but after cruising on the highway I get little wiffs of oil and I notice that my exhaust and tranny have oil on them. I check the oil and I am losing some but it only amounts to a 1/2 cup or less in a 50 mile trip but the mess is more than I want to deal with. Opinions on where it is coming from would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

i had a leak at the rear of the intake where the dist goes look there and the rear of your oilpan if u can see it clean the hell out of the motor where u thinkit is then go down the street come back and check her out!Good luck!
MIKE

Do you have the right angle filter adapter? Mine leaks a bit even afer I changed the gaskets.

i hav the remote relo kit from jegs so my oil filter is up by my horn,is that where u think the leak is from?did u look at the back of the intake cuz from there it makes a mess of things!

Check your oil sending unit?The line for my oil pressure gauge broke one time.WHAT FREAKIN MESS!!!

Most of the oil seems to be around the transmission where it bolts to the flex plate. the drip after you park is right in the middle of the front of the tranny. The area behind the intake is wet with oil so I think it might be coming from somewhere around the rear of the intake. Just not sure where yet.

Mike

I would say either the oil pressure sending unit or the back of the intake manifold. Did you use the seal that came with the intake gasket set or a bead of RTV?

I used a bead of RTV instead of the gasket. The o-ring is a good place to look too! I will check it out and the oil sending fitting.

Thanks Guys

Mike

i used the gasket that came with the set for the back of the intake and i used RTV,under the gasket then on top of it its a great seal cant beat it!

THEWHITEZOMBIE said:
i used the gasket that came with the set for the back of the intake and i used RTV,under the gasket then on top of it its a great seal cant beat it!

I would not recommend using RTV on the gasket as it will slide out much easier. RTV in the corners and a spray tack type gasket spray to hold the cork is best.
My 2¢ :)

It's probably the intake. If the sending unit is leaking you would know for sure, there is a lot of pressure there. I'll check it out tommorrow if you haven't fixed it yet.

six pack said:
THEWHITEZOMBIE said:

I would not recommend using RTV on the gasket as it will slide out much easier. RTV in the corners and a spray tack type gasket spray to hold the cork is best.
My 2¢ :)
i use the spray to but i use it on the intake gaskets not the rear intake i use the RTV cuz that works best for my car i used the spray on them but they still leaked a little so now they dont at all!

-
Back