Oil pressure drops to 0

-
If your motor mount has offset bolts, cut one off and drill it out all the way through the mount. Put a carriage bolt through it an tack weld the head. Then you have a free solid motor mount that still lets the engine set on rubber.

I dropped the oil pan down and inspected the pickup tube. The oil pan was clean enough to eat off of and the pick up still looks brand new with no obvious cracks, or trash in the screen.
It’s pretty easy to drop the pan so if the problem is still there after I replace the spring cap on the pump (and tighten it), I’ll drop the pan again and actually pull the pick up tube off and bench inspect it for invisible cracks.

I have a schumacher kit to put a big block on a small block K frame - Is that what you are doing? The kit came with mounts that have a corner cut off Is that where your pump is hitting the mount?

I have a schumacher kit to put a big block on a small block K frame - Is that what you are doing? The kit came with mounts that have a corner cut off Is that where your pump is hitting the mount?
I have a QA1 k frame and Trans Dapt mounts. The QA1 k frame is designed off of the factory V8 k frame. The trans dapt mount is a “cut it yourself” thing. And I never cut it so yes that’s where it’s hitting.

The problem is solved!
If you look at post #47, it explains it as best as I can.
While I was in the oil pump, I went ahead and changed out the O-rings, pressure relief spring and gasket, even though everything looked perfect. I cut about half of an inch of of the motor mount and set the engine back down. I then realized the pressure spring cap was now hitting the Kmember. I shimmed the engine up another 1/4” and everything clears now. Reprimed the oil system with my ghetto priming tool for about a minute straight, then put everything back together and fired it up. I let it idle for about 15 minutes with no loss of oil pressure.
The car doesn’t vibrate as much now at idle. I guess because the oil pump was resting on the Kmember it was acting like a solid motor mount.

Crazy how the a loose cap can cause loss of oil pressure without even leaking!

I’d have to look at a pump cover to be sure, but I’m pretty sure the bypass hole connects the relief valve to the low pressure(suction) side of the pump.
So...... if the cap is leaking air...... the pump loses its prime.

Glad you found it.:thumbsup:

The problem is solved!
While I was in the oil pump, I went ahead and changed out the O-rings, pressure relief spring and gasket, even though everything looked perfect. I cut about half of an inch of of the motor mount and set the engine back down. I then realized the pressure spring cap was now hitting the Kmember. I shimmed the engine up another 1/4” and everything clears now. Reprimed the oil system with my ghetto priming tool for about a minute straight, then put everything back together and fired it up. I let it idle for about 15 minutes with no loss of oil pressure.
The car doesn’t vibrate as much now at idle. I guess because the oil pump was resting on the Kmember it was acting like a solid motor mount.

lol, even crazier how your oil pump functioned as a motor mount. Good luck

The problem is solved!

hell yeah! excellent, glad you found the problem. i will definitely remember that one.

I drained the oil and cut open my K&N filter. Everything looked perfectly normal.
If a new oil filter doesn’t solve the problem, what should I look for in the oil pump? Broken parts or scared surfaces?
drain all of the engine oil out of it, pull the intermidiate shaft, put 3 quarts of diesel fuel into the crank case..using your oil pump primer spin the oil pump counter clockwise to give the engine oil pressure then quickly reverse the drill to send the debris from the screen out of it, do this several times then drain the diesel fuel into a very clean pan then dump the fuel thru a paint filter back into the jug and repeat process and look into the paint filter to see what kind of debris, if you cant see any debris put a finger down in there and see if it feels kid of like a jelly substance almost clear looking but with fiber in it

I’d have to look at a pump cover to be sure, but I’m pretty sure the bypass hole connects the relief valve to the low pressure(suction) side of the pump.
So...... if the cap is leaking air...... the pump loses its prime.

Glad you found it.:thumbsup:

x2

-
Back