Oil pressure issue

-

gtmopar

Phuckin A!
Reaction score
Hey guys quick question. I just finished building a 360 and I just literally fired it up but i haven't gotten any oil pressure. I'm running a transdapt dual remote oil filter setup. When I pre oiled the motor with the stock oil filter setup I got oil pressure right away all being checked with manual gauge. Is it possible the hoses on the remote filter system are backwards? Would that cause the 0 oil pressure. I've never ran one of these remote systems before so they are new to me. Thanks guys.

Take it off I no nothing about it but if you had it and now you dont thats your problem. daaa

Why do you think a remote filter?

I know several guys on this site that are running them with no issues, I'm just not sure what would cause that and of course I'm not going to take a chance of it screwing up my motor, daaaaa. Maybe someone who KNOWS about it can chime in and help me out.

I know a lot of people who smoke, but that doesn't mean they need to. You asked for help. We're trying to help. Just because you want to run something and some other people do too, doesn't mean you need it.

Hey guys quick question. I just finished building a 360 and I just literally fired it up but i haven't gotten any oil pressure. I'm running a transdapt dual remote oil filter setup. When I pre oiled the motor with the stock oil filter setup I got oil pressure right away all being checked with manual gauge. Is it possible the hoses on the remote filter system are backwards? Would that cause the 0 oil pressure. I've never ran one of these remote systems before so they are new to me. Thanks guys.

Take it off! Check pressure again. Make sure the original system is good. Then you know for dang sure the problem is in your remote system.

Take it off! Check pressure again. Make sure the original system is good. Then you know for dang sure the problem is in your remote system.

do you have to plug the original pick up tube hole off w/ that set up, like on a big block or hemi to run an external system? don` know about small blocks!------------bob

My only suggestion would be to disconnect that system, as it may get your pressure back so you can get it "broke in". I personally don't care for them after a bud of mine tried one on a BB Ford and went from 80lbs to 25lbs.

I know at least one of our European members uses a remote system and with a cooler I believe. I questioned him about pressure loss and he didn't seem to have a issue. It may be a plumbing problem, I don't know. But don't run that baby any more then you have to with "0" pressure.

Good luck getting her figured out. :thumbrig:

I filled all the lines with oil to prevent from cavitating but I'm going to yank it this weekend and try it again. My reasoning for using it in the first place is because on early A's with headers its a ***** getting to the filter due to lack of space.

I filled all the lines with oil to prevent from cavitating but I'm going to yank it this weekend and try it again. My reasoning for using it in the first place is because on early A's with headers its a ***** getting to the filter due to lack of space.

Did you fill the filters?

i´m also running a remote filter system, no issues

correct plugging ? in and out ? maybe you have switched the in and out connections, and now your oil will be pumped against normal flow direction

What kinda headers? I had Dougs on my 65 with a 90* adapter and I didn't have trouble gettin to it. Hope you get it sorted out.

Yea I switched the hoses around, that's the first thing I did to make sure that wasn't the problem. Still no pressure. I filled both filters and both lines completely with oil. I really hope nothing got screwed up. I know it had great oil pressure when I pre oiled it. I'm going to yank that system off and put my 90 on there. I am running the Doug's but man it still looked tight but ill give it a try. Hopefully that will resolve my issue, fingers crossed.

I'm running a remote filter on my Cuda mainly because I hated how every time I changed the oil it filled the garage with smoke from the hot oil pouring down on the headers (I even tried making a diverter from a piece of metal but it was hard to keep in place). I have had no issues at all with the remote filter and saw no oil pressure loss after installing it but I did use a die grinder to take out all the casting flashing and smooth the turns, kinda like porting a head. It was pretty rough inside so I can see why you'd lose oil pressure unless you smoothed things out. I only said that to say there's nothing wrong with a remote filter setup as long as you clean up the flashing and smooth things inside.

I suspect that if the hoses are backwards it won't work right. The adapter is marked in/out. Not easy to read cause it's just cast into the aluminum so you gotta look close.

I don't understand what all the hoo--ra is about

The output of the pump goes directly to the filter. So disconnect the hoses, spin the engine and see that you have oil "that far."

Should not be too hard?? to look up whatever part no of the filter mount(s) you have and see how it hooks up.

If necessary, 'rig' a couple of fittings so you can hook the hoses together until you determine whether it's an engine or filter problem.

Last, what filters are you running? What do the remote mount destructions specify?

My reasoning for using it in the first place is because on early A's with headers its a ***** getting to the filter due to lack of space.
You would love it here in australia we also have to contend with a steering box right against the oil filter mount plate, the factory took metal lines from a blanking plate and placed the filter upside down on the intake manifold so when the filter is being undone the contents drop all over the back of the block, most of us that are not doing factory correct restos use remote filters as it is the only way to get headers and steering boxes to co exist in the engine bay.
If you only lost pressure after changing to the remote filter I would definatly be looking there, the centre fitting is oil out from pump and the peripheral fitting is the return line or should be

Yea I switched the hoses around, that's the first thing I did to make sure that wasn't the problem. Still no pressure. I filled both filters and both lines completely with oil. I really hope nothing got screwed up. I know it had great oil pressure when I pre oiled it. I'm going to yank that system off and put my 90 on there. I am running the Doug's but man it still looked tight but ill give it a try. Hopefully that will resolve my issue, fingers crossed.
GTM,,have you mocked up the 90? I went no adapter,ran a cross of a Fram PH43.

So I disconnected the oil lines and one line is pumping oil out properly. It's not pouring out under high pressure but it is pouring out. It's a new oil pressure gauge with a clear tube and I'm not seeing oil in the clear plastic hose. I'm stumped. I know I have some sort of pressure or else it would not be pumping out the hose. Are the filters supposed to be mounted lower? I have them on the inner apron on the passenger side. I'm just wondering if the hoses are too big and the filters are too high for the oil to pump up but I don't think that's it! Ugh!!!! It will be a real pain to get the 90 back on there without pulling the header back out but I will do what's necessary. I read somewhere that the rear main cap needs a plug installed in order to run a remote system. Did anybody that's running this setup add that plug? Thanks again for the help.

Was the oil galley plug replaced in the block? It's the one that you access through the rear bearing bore. tmm

Attachments

• Oil galley plug enlarged.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 262
Yea its in there mike. Trust me I was second guessing myself at one point but I know its there. I had 70 lbs of oil pressure when I pre oiled it so I'm still at a loss.

GTMopar tell me more about your kit. I assume you have the adapter that screws onto the block where the filter would normally screw on and the lines attach to it then run up to the filter? Or do you have fittings screwed right into the block and ran to the adapter? If you do where did you screw them in? What size lines are you running? Some filter kits come with 1/2" line which only has an I.d. of 7/16" which restricts oil flow. That won't stop oil flow all together, just impede it. If they are 1/2" hose you really should swap the fittings and lines to 5/8" (-10 AN) so they don't restrict oil flow unless it's a low rpm grocery getter. There is nothing you need to do with the rear main. Whoever told you that didn't know what they were talking about.

There's also no problem mounting the filter plate on the fender apron. If the oil pump can't pump oil up to that height it's junk. Here's a picture of my remote setup. As you can see it's mounted to the top of the fender apron. The hoses you see running to the front are to a cooler.

Maybe the filters and adapters are different in Australia but here in the US the input to the filter (output from the oil pump) goes to the outboard fitting on the filter adapter and the center fitting is the filter output going back to the engine.

Attachments

• DSC03106.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 242
  • DSC03105.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 252
I know this may sound silly but sometimes those fittings and such are shipped with plastic plug inserts to protect them from getting debris inside.

I have actually seen this happen. Everything connected correctly with zero flow. I pulled the lines apart and there it was, a plastic plug.

My setup looks like yours aside from having the dual filter setup which I'm thinking was a mistake I should have went with a single system. It does have the larger lines as well. I'm still messing with it to hopefully get these issues ironed out. Thanks for the info and pictures fishy. Just out of curiosity what is your idle psi at warm? I know its based per engine but should I see a slight loss with this filter setup? I'm going to screw with it today to see if I can get some resolve. Thanks again.

Try pulling a vacuum with a hand brake bleeder on the line post filter (might have to rig an adapter to the larger line-my friends bleeder comes with a cone shape adapter that fits right into a larger line)...if oil flows there's no obstruction...might be easier than disassembling..then again, I've never tried it...just a thought to consider.

-
Back