Oiling pattern on inside of new valve covers.

-

AlaskaJeff

Reaction score
I noticed something very interesting in the oil splatter pattern of the rockers On my 360. After initial spring start-up. Take a look at the pictures. It seems that one rocker arm on the #4 cylinder was not squirting any oil up! Drivers side valve cover in the front and passenger side in the rear. Is that something to worry about? There was no noticeable value clatter that I could hear on the passenger side. Also who makes good valve cover gaskets that do not leak?
D22F390C-E8C4-47E8-B79F-C225F8B8C735.jpeg
95CAF424-EB10-4C24-BF11-A3A3349B29AF.jpeg

Ok, first, there are Many Folks Here w/ more experience than me. That said, tape up some cardboard and have an assistant fire it, you can see what's happening. Have em ready to shut er down, and don't gun it. There is prolly better than, but I'm using fel pro cork, been on and off a few times in 12 or more years. Tried the ones that came/ w my Fel-Pro gasket kit.... junk.. I know there is Better than Cork, I just don't have experience with it....

The reusable reinforced silicone gaskets are very good. I've probably tried at least a 1/2 dozen v. cover gaskets over the years, and they're the best I've found. But if you're trying to seal with "aluminum foil" v. covers, that may be problematic.

I've taken some old SB mopar v. covers and cut the top off them so I can watch the valvetrain oiling and the pushrods spinning. It's a little messy, still, but as long as you don't rev the engine up, it's not horrible. If you think it could be a problem, I wouldn't wait to figure it out for sure.

I guess you could pull the shaft on that side and inspect all of the oiling holes. But you know......you ain't trying to oil the valve covers. lol On the other hand, if one of those oil holes is deformed or stopped up, you need to fix it.

The reusable reinforced silicone gaskets are very good. I've probably tried at least a 1/2 dozen v. cover gaskets over the years, and they're the best I've found. But if you're trying to seal with "aluminum foil" v. covers, that may be problematic.

I've taken some old SB mopar v. covers and cut the top off them so I can watch the valvetrain oiling and the pushrods spinning. It's a little messy, still, but as long as you don't rev the engine up, it's not horrible. If you think it could be a problem, I wouldn't wait to figure it out for sure.
So are you saying that the valve covers I’m using may not be worthy?
FCBF4E96-F509-4E75-85DB-A15706D29A52.jpeg

No Sir, I'm not, and, while I caint speak for the Good Folks Here, I don't think they are saying that. I've sent new shafts back before for serious flash and defects...

As a side note, Thank You! Have a P/n# for the Op? And I may need some in a little bit..

Unless your running open push rods and oiler lifters all the oil should be coming from the rocker shaft. The small rocker hole is so oil can back flow to the push rod tip Make sure the rocker shaft end notches are oriented correctly. The oil you see in the covers is "fling" not "squirt"

upload_2022-4-7_9-56-59.png

Last edited:
So are you saying that the valve covers I’m using may not be worthy? View attachment 1715902707
Not necessarily. I'm saying the factory steel LA v. covers are easily deformed by the bolts. If you have thin aluminum sheet metal v. covers, I would think those are even easier to deform with the hold down bolts, so it might be tough to seal those no matter what gaskets you use.

i use stock valve covers with moroso blue gaskets , never a problem , they don't crack or leak even after removing covers several times
part no at summit 93050 or cometic 15468 have cometic as backup neve used but look good

Last edited:
-
Back