Oiling problems

-

DERICKS

Reaction score
I think I may have an issue with oiling in my 340 so tell me what you think. At the end of each run my car shutters,runs rough, and the lifters are noisey. By the time I hit the return road it quiets down and runs smooth again. The car goes through the traps between 6000 and 6200 rpm, it has a stock oil pan, and a stock pump with a high pressure spring. Am I emptying the pan? Oil pressure does not drop below 30 pounds during the return road problem. What do you think?

Have you tried an extra quart in the pan?
What is the oil's wieght?

An OE windage tray should have the tabs opened up alot to allow the oil a big window to drain.

Try the extra quart, it could be that lil'extra you need and if possible, I know it's a bear to do, drop the oil pan and open up the trays drain back window tabs to at least horizontal and level.

If this dosen't help, it may be time to upgrade. Though 6000 - 6200 isn't screaming, drain back may be the issue somewhere, possibly the tray. That would be my first guess.

An OE windage tray should have the tabs opened up alot to allow the oil a big window to drain.

Try the extra quart, it could be that lil'extra you need and if possible, I know it's a bear to do, drop the oil pan and open up the trays drain back window tabs to at least horizontal and level.

If this dosen't help, it may be time to upgrade. Though 6000 - 6200 isn't screaming, drain back may be the issue somewhere, possibly the tray. That would be my first guess.

Thanks I'll try the quart this spring, if I go to the pan and open the tray I may just put on a bigger pan if I can do it in the car

Try the extra quart as a diagnostic tool. It sounds like your either running out of oil of having lifter pump-up or down. You may need to also check to be sure your cam is up to the rpm you are turning and also the lifters and springs. I once was floating the lifters at 5200. Changed to what is use to be called anti-pump up lifts and went to 6500 with no float.
Rumble is dead right about the windage tray. If you don't get the oil drained fast enough it is slung back into the block, robbing HP and causing oil foaming that could endanger your lubrication of the bearings.

If this is happening after the finish line under braking, your oil pan needs a baffle in the front to keep the oil in the pan. If you're handy with a welder, you could easily deepen the pan a little and put baffles front and rear to control your oil.

i now a guy who had a similar problem, his oil pressure was bouncing up and down at the end of a run. he was pumping all the oil to the heads. he ended up restricting the oil to heads. i believe two mains feed the cam witch feed the heads, you would have to restrict those two holes.

I's wait on restricting oil to the heads. It's more likely a drain back problem if the extra quart doesn't help. The OE windage tray may be holding the oil from draining back. That's why I said to open up the tabs.

As was mentioned on the otehr site... If it doesnt do it until you let off (it hits the high rpms two other times....) then you need a deceleration baffle in the front of the sump. The extra quart may fix it, at the cost of a tiny amount of power. You also want to make sure the windage tray slots are opened a little, and I like to drill a couple extra drainback holes in the vally, plus deburr and smooth the drains already there.

-
Back