Ok then what is the recipe for a 425-450 horse streetable 340

-
Best bang for ur buck is gears ,and sticky tire leave the motor alone going fast is easy u needs to getur chassis dialed in

If it torches the tires now whats the point of adding more power ?

I want the mid range power and pull also. I does not feel like it accelertes well. Like I said I am trying to figure out the 904 first and then I will see what is next. I need to keep things in perspective though. I'm a pilot and I dont feel like the jet I fly accelerates well any more. I like that seat of the pants pull I guess. So I need a lot from the car. Im gonna post something in brakes about a hub to replace tht 5x4 front disks to 5x4.5 so I can find some diff wheels.

Something to consider - one of the descriptions I give to my customers who are considering adding a 4" stroke is - "it pulls in all gears like it pulls in first now."
I ge tthe need for power - but like is mentioned - the traction will need to be addressed first. One of the things that made the 340 A bodies so good was the lack of initial torque - so while they would spin, they wouldn't be that hard to pedal and accelerate with on the street and small tires.

I bet if you get some traction it will feel like its pulling better. I would fix the trans, add some 355 or 391s and a good set of rear tires like some 255-60-15 drag radials. Then do headers and exhaust.

Right now The car runs great. Im working to get it to shift correctly, rebuilding the front end and putting some money in the interior, and thinking of painting it. So as you can see I have my hands full. The paint can wait and probably will have to because I want to get it running how I want it to before that goes down. It has a 8 3/4 rear end with 3.23 sure grip so traction should be ok would be better if I get the spring re-locator. Tires are a little narrow on the rear at 225/70/14. Smokes them with out even trying. Matter of fact the car will get sideways if I let it. But seems to lack what I would like in power at any speed out of first gear. The Hurst ratcheting type shifter works well but in full auto I cant seem to get it to downshift while accelerating.

Sounds like you kick-down linkage is not adjusted correctly.

Honestly I will be happy with 400 but would love to have a light A body with a small block that puts out 450. No ryme or reason just a number that I have always wanted. To me any more than that on the street is useless.

Now that's just crazy talk! The more the merrier when it comes to HP :)

-
Back