Ok,.this is different. Sure grip rear??

-

FURY440

Reaction score
Ok,.this is weird. I just purchased this 66 Valiant a few days ago and got it up in the air atthe shop to inspect the under carriage. Everything is really clean and looks good. So, I get back to the rear and find a "Use-Sure Grip Lube tag bolted to the cover. I said to myseft,.no way!! Sure enough it's a posi. I never seen this before with a 6 cly car before with 5 on 4 lug pattern. Was this an option or what do I have here? Weird..

I had a 66 Barracuda Formula S 273 Commando automatic. It had a 3.23 geared 7 1/4 sure grip.

I've seen plenty of 4 door slant cars with front anti-sway bars which seemed odd to me anyway.
Was your a NJ car?
Maybe someone wanted to drive in the snow.

I've seen plenty of 4 door slant cars with front anti-sway bars which seemed odd to me anyway.
Was your a NJ car?
Maybe someone wanted to drive in the snow.

Yes, it's a Jersey car and it has a front swaybar also. 2 Door.
image.jpeg.jpg

My 65 dart gt had a factory 7.25 3.23 clutch style sure grip in it when I bought it. It still worked great so I promptly sold it before i had a chance to brake it! Put that coin twords an 8.75!

The tags usually corroded away because they were made from thin aluminum.

Nice Vali ...Is that car for sale on Craigslist or did you just buy it?

It was on Craigslist on South Jersey. I was looking for one for a while now and decided to buy it. It's a solid car. Interior is garbage,.well the seats and carpet, but other than that it was a good buy. I really don't believe the PO sold it to me for what I got it for.

posi , sway bar discs to or 10'' drums ? many moons ago i had my first 69 gts (sport) 340 10'' drums on it power , but still drums . so i got with a guy that have a 69 dart /6 auto on da tree 4dr sed in his yard , needed body stuff that it had , he was going to scrap it . i talked him into bring it by my place before it got crashed . hanged the front sheet metal bumpers taillites grille , you get the pic , right . i need a spare for mine , so i crack off the lug nuts , and low n behold , k/h disc braked on a manual master . needless to saw it could not roll any more , lol . he was pissed off , but money eased that over . never checked , it could have had a posi 7 1/4 in it as well . back to your great find , have you decoded it yet ? great car enjoy it .

posi , sway bar discs to or 10'' drums ? many moons ago i had my first 69 gts (sport) 340 10'' drums on it power , but still drums . so i got with a guy that have a 69 dart /6 auto on da tree 4dr sed in his yard , needed body stuff that it had , he was going to scrap it . i talked him into bring it by my place before it got crashed . hanged the front sheet metal bumpers taillites grille , you get the pic , right . i need a spare for mine , so i crack off the lug nuts , and low n behold , k/h disc braked on a manual master . needless to saw it could not roll any more , lol . he was pissed off , but money eased that over . never checked , it could have had a posi 7 1/4 in it as well . back to your great find , have you decoded it yet ? great car enjoy it .

I haven't decoded it yet, but plan to soon. Found the build sheet under the rear seat. It's manual steering and manual 10" drum brakes.

Posi= GM rear ends
Sure Grip= Mopar rear ends

I've seen more than a few SG 7 1/4" rears under 66 Cudas, especially when the car is a 4 speed! Not all that common, but an option checked for various reasons!

just for fun....or to know the speak, many different names.....Dana and their counterpart in Europe, Salisbury call them Powr-Lok and will cover many applications...other corp names listed below..am sure there are others not mentioned, not a catch all mind ya but a hodge podge of fancy names for a similar component.

• Buick: Positive Traction. Gran Sport models used the term "Limited-slip (differential)"
  • Ford: Equa-Lock and Traction-Lok
  • International: Trak-Lok (clutches only) or Power-Lok (clutch and ramping engagement process)
  • Jeep: Trac-Lok (clutch-type mechanical), Tru-Lok (gear-type mechanical), and Vari-Lok (gerotor pump), Power Lok
  • Porsche: PSD (electro-hydraulic mechanical), Porsche Torque Vectoring/Plus (PTV/Plus, combined electro-hydraulic mechanical and brake-based type; rear axle only)
  • Saab: Saab XWD eLSD
  • TVR: Hydratrak
  • Mercedes: ASD, AMG Rear-Axle Differential Lock (active differential on select FR-based AMG/S models; pure mechanical variant also present on select non-S AMG models)
Wiki referenced data!
this has been a P. Harvey minute...now back to your regular scheduled program

-
Back