Ol RustyCranks 74 Dart

-

OlRustyCrank

Reaction score
I hope thes load ok. Its got all the slant six low power mess in it now but hopefully that will change as soon as funds allow. I've got a 72 340 that I plan on putting in once I get it rebuilt. I have more pics that I'm gonna put up. Thanks for checking it out!!!!

Attachments

• 20140817_174412.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 314
Here's another

Attachments

• 20140817_174328.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 293
Nice body to start with.
Looks like a straight forward build that will be a lot of fun!

...clean body..more fun to do the mechanicals ..ie, requires less talent..

I bought the car from an old feller that had it under a tarp. A good buddy of mine turned me on to it so we got to talking and he sold it at a great price. He had shot at some crackheads trying to steal the gas but hit the car. Luckily he didn't hit the glass but told me to get it before something worse happened.If you look close enough on the pass side you can see it in the middle of the rear pillar. Other than that I love it. And if youre wondering, That is my 340 crank in my avatar. Its amazing what a little patience and electolosis will do to rust. Ill add some pics of the engine disassembled at the first of the week. Luckily I bought the LAST 340 steel crank that Standard Crankshaft had. They are closed down and selling all old stock. 250$ and mains and journals are standard size to boot.

That car looks clean, does it drive as nice as it looks?

It drives really, REALLY well. The drums all around actually work very well. It has power steering that is operating great. Trans shifts well and pulls strong with firm shifts. Ive got a 66 Bronco that doesn't have a straight panel on it that's going to donate its 9in rear with 4.11 gears. Maybe I can sell the top and tub to recoup some cash. Ive looked up the measurements and I think the 9in is about 1 to 1.5in wider. But for now im gonna drive it with the /6 and enjoy it some before I pull the engine and trans and give back to the previous owner. After that look out springs, I think they need to move in a bit and then the heart transplant. Im wanting to drop in a 360 while Im waiting on the 340 build but im stuck between a 904 or 727 tranny. I know the 727 stronger but I think the cons outweigh the pros considering what else Ill have to change. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Ive got a question that ive been pondering on that maybe yall know. Does anyone know the the difference between the rocker measurements on a /6 and LA small block? Reason I ask is that manual rocker arms, even cast iron are few and far between around my area. I was thinking if they are close (bolt spacing, rocker geometry) cut it short and put a plug in the end and viola cheap manual rocker arms. What do yall think?

Kinda what I thought you meant, lol, but I was scratchin my head.

You can find sets of them right here on the site. I just sold a set today.

904 transmissions can be built strong.
Look into late model 360 magnum swap for cheap horsepower.

Well it looks like I spoke a little too soon!:eek:ops: I was going to fill it up and it died!! Could barely keep it running long enough to turn around and head back down the hill. So I got it home and parked it for the night and calm down before I got to mad and aggravated.:angry5:
After a good nights rest I awoke on a mission. Eat something and prepare to pump out the fuel in the tank. Luckily I have a job with a service truck that has a waste oil sucker pump on it. I only had about 5gal in it that I put in it but don't know how much was in it before that. So I begin by removing the inline filter and replacing it. Then I use the aircompressor to blow back thru to the tank. Once I get done with that, I put the sucker hose down in the tank and let loose. I make sure to move the hose around to pick up as much as I can. I have to say it did very well. I even cleaned out the carb pretty good also. Now after all this, Its time to try some fresh gas in the tank and see what happens. It Fired Right Up!!!!! Test run it up and down the road in front of the house and it ran good!:burnout: So now its under the shed until the next time Im able to do something with it.

Here's my crankshaft when I pulled it out of the shed

Attachments

• 20140404_074740.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 187
Here it is after electrolysis and some wire wheelin.

Attachments

• 20140902_155129.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 177
-
Back