-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Criscobath

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Contact seller
I'm a collector of 1975-1990 BMX bike stuff and have been collecting for over 15 years. I'm primarily a collector and do very little reselling.

If you have any old BMX goodies you want to sell, let me know.

Thanks!

Hmmm. I was #13 in Ohio in 1982 or 83. Can't remember NBA or ABA.

Had a Team Mongoose. Had to have full cr-mo as I broke or bent mild steel or aluminum frames. Was famous for bending/breaking cranks, bars, and stems, too. Have been 6'3 and 180# since I was 14.
Was also "unofficial" test rider for K&G cycle shop when they started making components. Later they became DK, and even made their own frames. They gave me prototype parts to use, and If they didn't break, they put them in production.

Diddn't know they had fulll bikes until about 5 years ago, saw a BMX mag in a library, and it had a writeup. Looked on the web and found their models were named after Mopars. "Dart", "Fury", and "General Lee". What a trip.

A couple of years ago I gave away my last 20 inchers- One of the last "Good" Mongooses, an 89 full cr-mo frame and fork set and a early 90's GT full bike.

I do still have a full cr-mo 26" GT Timberline. Hard to find that in a bike that doesn't cost a grand.

If you look at some of Tom "Mongoose" McEwan's cars, they were sponsored by BMX products. Even the Hot Wheels Corvette funny car has it.

Very cool, YY1! The Timberlines are cool bikes. Kind of a cross between a GT 26er and a mountain bike. I always look at em and think, "I wonder if I could cut that long seat tube down ?"

MMC, I know to look on ebay. However, I prefer the hunt of finding them elsewhere. I've bought a bike from a fellow FABO member earlier this year for fair market value at the seller's asking price. I don't have a problem paying fair market value. I just like finding stuff that not everyone knows about.

For me, ebay has kinda taken the fun out of the hunt.

Attachments

• mg IMG_1099.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 330
  • mg IMG_1100.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 357
  • mongoose-bmx.gif
    7.7 KB · Views: 365
  • mongoose.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 370
  • 1980s_advertising_mongoose_bmx_2.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 371
I never noticed before, that car is actually in BMX products corporate colors.

The mongoose character is not exact, but it's awfully close.

That's not my supergoose, mine was very similar, but had been a nickel plated "team" model in red epoxy, and had the epoxy stripped off.

I only raced as a "sanctioned" rider the one season, but managed to get a state ranking.
Couldn't afford to go to the nationals, or even the finals, but was fun to have the number plate.

I agree about the GT seat tube, it's really too high for me. I should have looked around longer for a shorter one, they made them ,but hard to find.

Most of my height is in my spine (?). Maybe I need a 24"?
I sure do miss "throwin' them around". Not as easy to do with a 26".
Not a lot of dry creek beds in FL, either.
Seems like there's one 5 min in any direction up in OH.

I once borrowed a friends PK ripper, and torqued the top tube(s) so bad that the head tube and seat post tube were no longer parallel :( boy was he pissed.

Remember "Roger DeCoster"s? - almost a Mongoose, but only front triangle cr-mo.
Broke one of those too- seperated rear triangle from bottom bracket.

Have a friend down here in Fl that has collected a number of the old Schwinn Apple Crate ,Orange Crate and I forget all the others !! Awesome Bikes in their day !!!

Here are some of my long gone rides. I might have a few sets of grips left. I will check.

Race Inc.
Thruster
GT

Attachments

• DSC00015 (Custom).JPG
    40 KB · Views: 343
  • DSC00006 (Custom).JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 340
  • DSC00001 (Custom).JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 341
I still have my Fuji MX250 (i think that's the model) 20" steel BMX bike... Still has the Skyway Tuff Wheels on it that I got for Christmas in 1980/81. Frame is blue, wheels, brake calipers and handle bar are red. Also has Skyway's white bar/neck/tube pads on it.... I'll have to take a pic of it.

I still have my Fuji MX250 (i think that's the model) 20" steel BMX bike... Still has the Skyway Tuff Wheels on it that I got for Christmas in 1980/81. Frame is blue, wheels, brake calipers and handle bar are red. Also has Skyway's white bar/neck/tube pads on it.... I'll have to take a pic of it.

The MX250 was a pit bike, correct? Please post a pic. I'd love to see it.

I'm on the hunt for an old BMX pit bike for my daughter's next birthday.

I have not seen wheels like those mags[ i bought a set to put on my schwinn build] in a very long time i was building bmx bikes before they became popular. I had very strict parents finally they bought me a bicycle and i trashed it and they got me another and i trashed that one after that i had to get my own and i swore i would never not have a bike, at one time i had 25 plus bikes i rode a different one every day i had one of each of the schwinn stingrays,applecrate,orangecrate,lemonpeeler,cottonpicker,i also collected the schwinn mailman bikes i had quite a few of them [we called them bombers] big fat tires and no fenders,some tenspeeds,and a few threewheelers. I did all my own work [except welding] i even taught myself how to respoke and true wheels. Always loved schwinns over all other brands,bought my oldest son a redline bmx new when he was in jr high [he kept it in his room never rode it hardly], both boys had 10 bikes to choose from [i made sure they had transportation] dyno gts,mongooses ect. Brings back memorys seeing those old bikes.

Old school!Had a Kuwahara,Diamond Back Harry Leary,Powerlite,and 2 Gooses.The high end bike in my hood was a G boy.The kid that had it was 200+ lbs by age 12,everytime he jumped,the frame cracked.Walked into a second hand store last year.They has a Haro sr20 in fair shape for fifty bucks.Just like a speed part,I drug it home.

Not exactly old school but its definitly cool enough for my son.

Attachments

• 20111007162506-1.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 306
Didn't know someone made Tuff wheel clones,missing the riveted hubs.Dyno is sweet bike for your kid.

Man, this thread brings back the old days! I've still got my Skyway Streetstyler trying to get it fixed back up and rideable again to see if I can hurt myself trying to ride like back then. I'm looking for a rear mag wheel for it by the way...

Yeah,last time I rode(late 80s),I did a faceplant on a nieghborhood 1/4 pipe.I was into cars already,kinda killed it for me.

Still have my 1978 Redline. Over the years I changed some parts out, gave it to a neighbor kid and got it back a few years ago. Had a couple friends look at it, they were blown away by how "old school" it is. It rides a lot different than my son's GT.

brings back memories all right! I built a couple from pieces back in the day, Race Inc. RA-8 frame and Redline forks... all gold and blue except the forks if I remember. Now, after not riding since the late 70s, I got back into mt biking a couple years ago. we ride Sat AM and sometimes at night in the dark. Pitch black, 35 degrees and pouring rain on windy trails in the woods is a real challenge

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/dk/

Actually, their history writeup is a bit wrong.

K&G cycle shop is where this all started, and one of the owners name was Kramer.
I'm fairly certain DK stands for Danishek/Kramer.

One of their stems was the first part I ever got.
back then Suntour/Shimano stems were very expensive and both top and bottom were aluminum. The Mongoose stem was really strong, but very heavy and clunky.
I went itnto their shop, and said "I keep breaking these, is there anything else?"
The man behind the counter said..."Let me show you something we've been working on..." They sold it to me for like $15 and it was on my bike until I left Ohio 6 years later.
It was a very square aluminum top, but a cr-mo bottom. Dug my knee a couple times, but never broke. Man I was proud of that thing. I told everyone where I got it.

Didn't know someone made Tuff wheel clones,missing the riveted hubs.Dyno is sweet bike for your kid.

Those arent clones dude. Those are Skyway Tuff Wheel II's. You can still get them. They also make 24" sizes for us old guys lol.......

yup. used a set on a bike i did for jamie last summer...:)

http://www.planetbmx.com/shop/skyway-tuff-wheels/cat_50.html

DSC_0308.jpg

DSC_0291.jpg

DSCN6139.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back