Old Cobbled Up Work is Trying My Patience

-

cosgig

MoBro Inc.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Howdy all, I thought I would give you an update on my progress on the 66 Valiant convertible I just picked up. I thought I'd throw some parts at it to bring it back up to acceptable levels, but I gotta tell y'all, all the old cobbled up work is trying my patience!!! From the expandable drywall mollies complete with 5" slotted screws holding on the damaged grilles to the slotted screws run in everywhere holding together tin, rubber, and just plain air, it's really slowing down progress. Quick quiz...how may bolts are there supposed to be holding the bench seat in??? Answer.... "6", as long as none of them are in their original location. The good news is that I've replaced the lower grille support, grille, splash panel, hood and bumper. I've removed both front fenders from the 66 Cuda donor, although the drivers side is junk, I do have another from my very first 66 project years ago. Next in line is getting that bench out to remove the carpet and get a look at the floors and rockers. I know it needs a drivers rocker, and I'm hoping the passenger side is still good.

Anyway, heres a couple before and after pics of the front end, and a shot of the next handywork in my sights, that handy dandy throttle cable and kickdown setup. The kickdown is seized up and doesn't even work, but it is a thing to behold. Look for it in a for sale thread here soon, I just know somebody's gonna want it when they see it!!!LOL!!! OK, back to the garage. Enjoy all!!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_2979.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 722
  • 100_2980.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 722
  • 100_2995.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 732
  • 100_2998.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 704
  • 100_2999.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 734
Looks great Geof or should I say MacGyver!! Whatever it takes, you are getting it done! * cyl ragtop, very nice!!

Wow, I just seen this thread 66'es every where :cheers:

I know how you feel. When I got my dart it had a custom spring over rear 7 1/4 and the swing shackles were gone. The rear the spring was welded solid to the frame rails where the shackle should have been. LOL Now you see why I went to a 4 link.

Other modifications by this genius are mini van bucket seats, ford motorcraft carb with 2 adapter plates and a cobbled on toyota alternator.

Attachments

• Stupid1.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 622
  • Stupid2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 613
  • Stupid.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 632
ummmmmmmmmmm................

ummmmmmmmmmm................

Thems some purdy welds huh stroker? You should have seen the car bouncing behind the car dolly all the way to my house. LOL I think I got like a foot of air through one intersection. Oh and here is the kicker, he made the fancy swing shackle eliminator bolt non removable. LOL

I know how you feel. When I got my dart it had a custom spring over rear 7 1/4 and the swing shackles were gone. The rear the spring was welded solid to the frame rails where the shackle should have been. LOL Now you see why I went to a 4 link.

Other modifications by this genius are mini van bucket seats, ford motorcraft carb with 2 adapter plates and a cobbled on toyota alternator.

That's just freakin' beautiful work.....
I've seen worse though i'm sad to say.

Yep, the silver 66 is gone to another owner, just one town away. I don't know if I'll ever see it again because the new owner is an oil rig worker and was going to the gulf and maybe taking the 66 with him. Fear not though, I have THIS to replace it. V8, 8 3/4", console shifted with buckets, front sway bar, etc. It's gonna be a clone of the 66 in my avatar, Viper Blue with a white 66 Formula "S" stripe. Just need to get a damn job that works every day so I can start to get ahead again and have some parts money to work on toys instead of pay bills!!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_3053.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 365
Yep, the silver 66 is gone to another owner, just one town away. I don't know if I'll ever see it again because the new owner is an oil rig worker and was going to the gulf and maybe taking the 66 with him. Fear not though, I have THIS to replace it. V8, 8 3/4", console shifted with buckets, front sway bar, etc. It's gonna be a clone of the 66 in my avatar, Viper Blue with a white 66 Formula "S" stripe. Just need to get a damn job that works every day so I can start to get ahead again and have some parts money to work on toys instead of pay bills!!! Geof

How do you find all these ragtops?

I have trained my grasshoppers well!!!

Actually, the guy who owned the silver one came to my all Mopar yard sale a couple years ago and offered it and a 66 sedan parts car to me. Then the guy who had the red one saw me posting about it and offered to sell me that instead because it was more of what I was looking for!!

As for Nella's car, I knew where that had been sitting for a while and just caught the (original) owner one day at home and asked about it. I told him about what I wanted to do with it and I am true to my word. We still stop there every now and again and show them our progress. Just gotta keep your eyes peeled and not be shy to ask!!

And FYI, I offered the silver car here after I did a lot of work to it for anybody interested, $1500.00, and nobody bought it. That right there was a steal!! Geof

-
Back