Old Dick Landy vid

-

Lefty71

Reaction score
I stumbled across this on the Youtube, never saw it before. I won't spoil, but I found it to be highly, highly entertaining.

"Street legal" Ya right! Great video. Thanks for sharing.

Always loved that video! Love the dry hops! To me that period was some of the best drag racing to watch...Ever!

They sure were in he tank for "The Grump"...here is some more rowing....

They sure were in he tank for "The Grump"...here is some more rowing....

Watched the first video , announcers were definitely dumber than squat , were chevy fans too , no doubt , but were spouting stupid .
I saw Ronnie Sox waste all of them , quite a few diff. times in match races in Tulsa .

Watched the first video , announcers were definitely dumber than squat , were chevy fans too , no doubt , but were spouting stupid .

I kinda got the feeling they were probably commentating GOLF the next weekend too..... you could definately tell that they had some "drag racing tidbit" notes in front of them! "Landy never lights it", "throw some mufflers on them and you could drive em on the street" "Grumpys known for grumpyness lol"

Last edited:
Dandy let Grump win.
Note: Shifted to second after one turn of the tire and took the long way to the big end, about 1400 ft then hits the cone.
This match race was decided before they got to the starting line.

The announcers sounded Canadian. With “eh!” And I think I heard a “take off hoser.”

I may be wrong but they need to go back to commentating hockey. Drag racing is what they do for fun the 2 months a year it’s not snowing. Lol!

They said the chute was above the license plate so you could see it. There were headlights on those cars, too.

Totally street legal!

:steering:
Study up and kindly rempove the red X from my post above. Oh Grumpy's Vega might hav been titled and had lights and was a door slammer but that's about all it had compared to a "Street Legal" car . THe announcers aparently thought "Pro Stock" meant a street legal car on the drag strip. Drag Racing Warriors: Grumpy's Toy 1974 Vega • Muscle Car DIY

I've see that Vega with Grump at the wheel make dozens of passes back in the day.
To use the word 'street' around that car is ridiculous.

It's not as stock as the class name would sound.

The Landy car was narrowed 2" so the story goes. I went to Mecum 2008 and saw the Landy built Motown Missile I could not tell.

Whats up with the narrowing? 2" is nothing but a PITA to do?

Watch those guys race is what hooked me on drag racing. Gotta love it!

Agree with the above posts --------Jenkins was a prick, he`s the one that cried and pissed and moaned because he couldn`t hang w/ the hemi`s, especially Sox-Martin , and got the nhra to add 600# to the hemi`s. "Matter of record" , wally parks even apologized to Ronnie about 40 yrs later !! < "matter of record !"

Oh, Landy never built any of the orig. Motown Missles .

Yup ..it's true .. the NHRA gave in underpressure from the crybabies that the Hemi cars had to get so fat they were uncompetitive. Being a pounds per cubic inch class they even de-stroked the Elephant to 396 C.I.. Didn't help.
I was there. Carlton was my Mopar Pro Stock hero. He said screw this crap, left the class and ran Altered.

Famous Bob - how do you know about DLI not building the Motown Missile car? I saw it had the E body dash, thought that was a trick only Landy used.

-
Back