Old Holley Parts...what happened??

-

George R

Mopar Nutcase
Reaction score
My car started running like crap all of a sudden, and the idle adjustment screws were'nt really changing the RPM anymore, and there was a wicked bog right off idle. I pulled the carb apart and saw this.
Anyone know what happened?

I really don't have the change to replace these 2 metering blocks.
This is a Holley 4150 Double Pumper 750 CFM with 4 corner idle circuit.
Really bummed me out.

George

Attachments

• 100_0251.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 378
  • 100_0252.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 363
  • 100_0253.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 398
  • 100_0254.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 375
  • 100_0256.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 408
  • 100_0257.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 372
  • 100_0258.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 372
  • 100_0259.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 359
Call tech support at Holley and see if you can send them pictures. Never know they might replace them for free.

I emailed their tech support through the website. I doubt they'll help me, but ya never know.

Looks like a coating that is being wiped out by the new and unimproved crap we have to use for gas. I will be interested in Holley's answer.

no power valve ,and no cork gaskets at idle screws? Kidding, eathonal evaps so fast, it leaves lines empty. It eats hoses. It is nasty doo doo. I sold a boat because of it; 44 gallons of sh.. destroys the whole system.

Use the new fuel line for fuel injection, # on hose ends with a 7. Use Seafoam. walmart.

is that the coating coming off or is it actually the aluminum coming apart and cracking? First look, I thought it was all cracked like something blew up in it, but after looking at it some more, it looks like the coating or finish is flaking off? I have seen that on a smaller scale where some release agent was not cleaned out at the factory but nothing like that.

That happened to the Holley on my brother's Dart and Holley replaced it.

I don't know how old the Op's carb is but the one we had replaced was about a year old.

I remember a few years back when the avengers first came out and holley had some trouble with the finish flaking off but I haven't seen anything on those ones. Man that thing is cracking all the way around like an '80's clearcoat.

That happened to the Holley on my brother's Dart and Holley replaced it.

I don't know how old the Op's carb is but the one we had replaced was about a year old.
Tyler-
I have heard Holley had a problem with the plating doing this, but only after I brought this problem to the attention of a few of my buddies. I haven't heard of this problem prior to this event.
The ONLY parts of the carb that have this problem are the front & rear metering blocks. If they would replace JUST those blocks I'd be happy. Like I said earlier, I am not the original purchaser, so if they did anything to help me, I would be greatful. I really don't have ANY spare coin for this unexpected expense. Somehow, I don't think they'll give a **** since I don't have a receipt.
The carb was on the car when I bought it, but it was new at the time. I've had fuel in it for just about 2 years now, but the dates on the metering blocks (if I'm reading them right) are November of 2005.

I haven't yet received a return email from Holley..................

George

Date codes marked 3345–3655: Built from December 1st of 2005 (3345) through December 31st of 2005 (3655)

Date codes marked 0016–1986: Built from January 1st of 2006 (0016) through July 17th of 2006 (1986)

Just found this on anther forum talking about a recall holley has for these ones with finish flaking off.

I had some headers that were totally drilled wrong, manufacturing defect all the way, Holley still wanted a receipt...for a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects...? That looks awful.

Just got off the phone with Holley Tech Line. I told Shawn what had happened. He told me the manufacturer of the parts made them with too much zinc, and the results are what I experienced.
Anyway, he told me to pack it up and send it back to Holley for a free replacement.
At this time, I told Shawn that I am NOT the original purchaser of this carb, and that it came with the project car I bought 2 years ago. He told me it doesn't matter who bought it, we want it back. We don't want any of them out in circulation, so just send it back with my name & address, and a new one will be in the mail.

Makes perfect sense -- imagine the big-$$$$$ product-liability lawsuits Holley would lose in an immediate slam-dunk.

Never mind lawsuits.I think that is great customer service,whatever the reasons behind it. It's just great to hear about someone getting treated well these days!

-
Back