OLDER EDELBROCK PERFORMER INTAKE POTENTIAL ON A 340

-
Thanks for everyone's input. Looks like I'll be shelving another Edelbrock.
I think you made a good/wise decision running the factory intake, and not cutting the LD340. The LD is turning into a highly desirable intake, and will be worth more uncut.

Heres my LD Troy, the divider has been modded somewhat and its nowhere near as nice as yours lol.

20231102_092522.jpg

20231102_092612.jpg

Last edited:
oh, that's neat, i never knew that some of them had a chrysler #
super cool!

Thanks, some did and didnt have # as well as coil mount.
thanks for that tidbit. TIL

i keep hemming and hawing about a LD or 4B for my set up, but i *already have* the performer, and it's ported to the heads, and once i put back on the AC and a air cleaner nobody will even know it's there...

oh and i'm lazy.

Killer6,
Post #17. I am not confusing anything. The Perf & the RPM were designed for different rpm ranges.
The LD intake is listed in my 1979 Edel catalog.............with a 1500-5500 rpm range. Does 5500 upper limit sound like it is designed for drag racing?
The Perf is listed in my 1986 catalog, & surprise, surprise the rpm range is.....1500-5500 rpm.
You can quote catalogs all day long Bro', just like the fine print at the bottom of a page in a cam catalog..."may RPM higher depending on application", ....I can guarantee an LD will leave a performer in the dust whining for it's mommy when You decide to go big cam-wise. G-day Mate......:)

You can quote catalogs all day long Bro', just like the fine print at the bottom of a page in a cam catalog..."may RPM higher depending on application", ....I can guarantee an LD will leave a performer in the dust whining for it's mommy when You decide to go big cam-wise. G-day Mate......:)
Having had a stock and modified LD-340, I can say that heavily modified intake (MP instructions and further porting) made excellent power up to 6800 when so properly equipped head & camshaft wise.

The stock LD-340 was and still is an excellent street intake—- for the right price. If overpriced…. I’ll pick up a used RPM/AG and not ever think of an overpriced LD-340. IMO, the stock LD-340 can go 6K easy.

Having had a stock and modified LD-340, I can say that heavily modified intake (MP instructions and further porting) made excellent power up to 6800 when so properly equipped head & camshaft wise.

The stock LD-340 was and still is an excellent street intake—- for the right price. If overpriced…. I’ll pick up a used RPM/AG and not ever think of an overpriced LD-340. IMO, the stock LD-340 can go 6K easy.
Crane Blazer cam, 600 Holley, stk. exhaust manny's, 2" duals, bone stock '74 'teener,...best shift point was 5,800 w/an LD4B.
Imagine what it would've been with good valvesprings, heads & headers, lololol!!!

I think the quoted RPM ranges for intakes from Edel, Weiand etc are often misunderstood.

Take the SBM as an example. If one intake could cover 0-9000 rpm, there would be no need for a range of intakes to cover the rpm spectrum. This of course cannot be done theory.
That is why numerous intakes are made for each engine to cover the reqd rpm ranges. Some will overlap. Take the Perf intake. It is listed as having a 0-5500 rpm range. It does not suddenly stop making power at 5501 rpm, but at some point the HP will level off because the intake cannot flow any more air. If HP is reqd at an rpm higher than 5500, then perhaps a Torker or RPM intake would work better on THAT engine, as they are designed to flow more air & make HP at higher rpms.

Standard Performer will run easy 12's on a 360 with a small cam and a 600 carb.

But while that is true, what intake over the performer be better?
This is why there are other intakes made. I see it kind of like;

Adequate
Good
Better
Best
Overkill
Ridiculous to use

But while that is true, what intake over the performer be better?
This is why there are other intakes made. I see it kind of like;

Adequate
Good
Better
Best
Overkill
Ridiculous to use
Pretty much whatever dual plane i have on hand that bolts up and allows ac to fit for my drivers is my choice since I am cheap.

If I was racing then it is a totally different animal. Stroker build would also change the equation.

Pretty much whatever dual plane i have on hand that bolts up and allows ac to fit for my drivers is my choice since I am cheap.

If I was racing then it is a totally different animal. Stroker build would also change the equation.
There are people out there making some serious steam with Airgaps on 408's

Ditto
There are people out there making some serious steam with Airgaps on 408's
An amazing intake for what it is.

Interestingly my purchase of an LD340 saved me from running a cracked performer.

I sold the performer after coming across the LD and the guy I sold it to discovered a 4" long crack in the underside of the 2176 along the exhaust crossover.
It wouldn't matter running aftermarket heads but on Iron heads it could be a drama.
Of course I refunded the bloke straight away - A good case for careful inspection before use of anything.
I gave it to a bloke that got it welded and is very happy.

-
Back