older guys and your health

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
5 weeks ago I had open heart surgery, triple bypass. had a couple arteries 98% blocked. I am 69. for the last few years I have kept going, pretty active. had slowed down a lot from younger days, but hey I am no kid anymore. I had physicals, I would tell the doc am somewhat short of breath, he would tell me my lungs are clear. EKG normal, he says.. taking low dose of statins.
I feel so much stronger and better now. . it took a few weeks to get over the operation. before the operation I was really dragging. yes I had built quite a bit of fence over the winter.. but last summer it was hard to take the heat and do much really, and mentally I had become not my self.....
I mention all this because there are many men on here my age. I have to wonder how many really need to take notice of their health. I blamed my lack of energy and dulled mental outlook on my age and the hot humid miserable SE Tx weather!!!!!!!

I'm 62 and once it hits about 80 degrees outside, I feel like I have to call it a day. Chock it up to "old" age, but who knows?

I am 55 and have a family history of cancer. I see three different doctors every year plus my optometrist every other year and my dentist twice a year. My buddy is 60 and hasn't seen a doctor in years. To each their own I guess.

Glad to hear your feeling better , by the sounds of it you got it before any serious problems .

Glad to hear your feeling better , by the sounds of it you got it before any serious problems .
I'm 68 and so far have had good health. Normal joint pain probably goes with age. Weed eating on 5 acres
in Spring is taxing. Usually don't want to do that past 2 or 3 in the afternoon, particularly when it's a 100+
degrees.

53, heart trouble 5 years ago. On cholesterol meds. Its not an old age thing any more.
Glad you are feeling better, i havent been the same since my episode, they didnt go in, angiogram showed damage and it seemed like they werent interested in doing anything about it.
So,i carry on. Gotta eat, gotta work. Im tired. But im always tired.

I'm 47. It seems like I stay chronically ill. I was part of Desert Storm and have had issues every since. Of course it has been decided that Gulf War Syndrome isn't real.
I've got PTSD, a pacemaker sewed into my chest, joint pain, sleep apnea, GI issues and just yesterday, a kidney stone.
It's always something.

Since 99% is genetic, we have to look at our parents and see how well they did to get an idea of our health down the road. I'm 71, go for a physical every year and when the doctor tells me guys like me put him out of business it makes me fell good. Pains come and go and I just grin and bare them. Worked with a guy who's dad died at 34. So he knew heart trouble could be down the road. Eat healthy worked out and had Quadruple by pass at 49. 20 years later he's doing okay.

Yo' Gun, we appreciate the service for us. You will shake it. The strong do my man.

Had a heart attack & died myself a year ago. They hooked me up to some jumper cables but it did not work. I laid there dead for some time. Then they got a better set of jumpers & hit me again ~ harder. I popped back to life. Doc says "hey? where did you go?" when i came to. I asked "what the 'ell are you talking about doc?" Thats when he told me that I had passed on, but they had then brought me back. My wife watching the whole traumatic episode.

Anyhow they fixed some blockage (98%) and sent me home after a period. While I was still there I had loads of docs & nurses stop in & tell me that the strong survive. They also told me that I did nothing wrong (not hereditary, I dont drink, smoke or chase any more tail then my wife's), it was just my turn to fight (and win).

So all you guys reading ~ just keep up the good fight & keep on winning. I am over fifty and believe we all have a lot more to contribute. Check on yourself when you know something is not right, and let someone know if you are experiencing any feeling that you are not familiar with. Come on. Keep with us. We pretty much all want you to stay around.

Yo' Gun, we appreciate the service for us. You will shake it. The strong do my man.

Had a heart attack & died myself a year ago. They hooked me up to some jumper cables but it did not work. I laid there dead for some time. Then they got a better set of jumpers & hit me again ~ harder. I popped back to life. Doc says "hey? where did you go?" when i came to. I asked "what the 'ell are you talking about doc?" Thats when he told me that I had passed on, but they had then brought me back. My wife watching the whole traumatic episode.

Anyhow they fixed some blockage (98%) and sent me home after a period. While I was still there I had loads of docs & nurses stop in & tell me that the strong survive. They also told me that I did nothing wrong (not hereditary, I dont drink, smoke or chase any more tail then my wife's), it was just my turn to fight (and win).

So all you guys reading ~ just keep up the good fight & keep on winning. I am over fifty and believe we all have a lot more to contribute. Check on yourself when you know something is not right, and let someone know if you are experiencing any feeling that you are not familiar with. Come on. Keep with us. We pretty much all want you to stay around.
I think Gulf War syndrome is radiation exposure. It was an armor war, all the Tow missiles, A-10 cannon rounds,
tank rounds are all armor piercing and contain depleted uranium because it is dense and penetrates armor. The
gov't is never going to say that their own munitions is what made all these veterans sick. It took a long time before
they acknowledged Agent Orange. Agent Orange is dioxin, the same chemical that put Love Canal on the Superfund
Site. With all the chemicals and residue from atmospheric nuclear testing, burning of fossil fuels, etc., it all ads up
to a toxic brew.

My dad was overweight, diabetic and had a heart attack at 62. They put in 3 stints and he had felt great again. Last December he was feeling pretty run down (73) and brought it up with his doctor who told home they were going to wait to run tests until January when he was schedlued for them already. He didn’t make the tests. Had a massive heart attack a week after the doctors visit.
Moral of the story is don’t rely on the doctor if you don’t feel like your 100%. Too many times now they are too eager to follow what the insurance companies are going to pay for instead of what needs to be done.

A good friend just died while waiting for the insurance company to approve his heart surgery. He waited almost 8 weeks.His last words to me was "Them bastards are just waiting for me to die......" Yep.

brother-in-law was told by the VA 3 months ago that he needed open heart surgery. He stayed after them but could not get them to schedule surgery. He had an appointment with them to talk about it on Tues but died two weeks ago today 4 days before the appointment. Sad but the VA let him die at 61.

5 weeks ago I had open heart surgery, triple bypass. had a couple arteries 98% blocked. I am 69. for the last few years I have kept going, pretty active. had slowed down a lot from younger days, but hey I am no kid anymore. I had physicals, I would tell the doc am somewhat short of breath, he would tell me my lungs are clear. EKG normal, he says.. taking low dose of statins.
I feel so much stronger and better now. . it took a few weeks to get over the operation. before the operation I was really dragging. yes I had built quite a bit of fence over the winter.. but last summer it was hard to take the heat and do much really, and mentally I had become not my self.....
I mention all this because there are many men on here my age. I have to wonder how many really need to take notice of their health. I blamed my lack of energy and dulled mental outlook on my age and the hot humid miserable SE Tx weather!!!!!!!
Good to hear you're feeling better. I turn 59 in Dec and have seen my doctor more in the last 2 years than I saw him in the last 20! Let's both of us keep on pullin' that wagon!

I am just a ypung fella (33) but just lost my old man. Je wpuld jave been 65 this month. He was healthy then was diagnosed with a bunch of issues and his health quickly declined. He was aa mopar fanatic like i am sure most of the people are on this website and knew his stuff. I guess the point of this reply is to encourage you guys to keep an eye on things amd get checked regularly. The world needs mopar fanatics

Old age is a reality sorry to say. I feel it everyday too at 55. Been a tradesman all my life, worked with my hands and body, and was a hard drinker from 16-32 years old. But i was lucky, i got a reprieve, i never smoked, or did drugs. I sobered up 23 years ago and that made a huge difference for me. I come from a family of bad hearts and high blood pressure too so i need to be careful.
2 years ago my Dad died, had a heart attack at 77 and died at home. That was another wake up call for me, i lost 20 lbs and changed the way i eat. Your mental health is huge, it can shut your body down if you let it. After my divorce 5 years ago i had to get some help for depression, i am not on any pills, just did 10 weeks of therapy and the world is a whole lot better today.
**** life is good today, i have a big block A body, two great kids, a good job that i love, a roof over my head and good friends.

Take care of yourselves everyone, Glad you guys are ok today.

My Friend Mark had a major Heart surgery as well, i watched him recover, and he went through all sorts of emotions after. I guess the doctor said it would take him a year to feel his self again. But your brain and body are traumatized from the heart surgery.

I am an alien, my dna make up has an extra make up in it the doctor says, JAK 2 jean that I was born with, sucks but I eat very healthy with allot of raw and fresh foods, take chemo (by pill form) daily, changed my life just 3 years ago, I feel better than I have in 20 years..
I have lost a younger brother to hart problems and my older brother to Pancreatic cancer.
The best advice I can give is Live Life Like You Mean it every day folks :thumbsup:

We all have heard the saying "Live life like it was you last day".

I'm 64, and am officially older than any of my ancestors before me except my chain-smoking, coffee-chugging daddy who made it to 83, without ever being cut open , and we found no pills in his home. And to top it off he was an athiest. What's that got to do with anything? Well there's always somebody who's gonna say he was blessed.
Well, maybe he was, but why? IDK, and IDCare.God does whatever He has said He's gonna do and some things I suppose He's never mentioned. But if Dad was blessed, his last three months sure were no blessing.
In any case I am a believer and I am blessed. What's that got to do with anything? Well daddy was afraid to die, and the thing he feared the most,came upon him. Whereas I'm not afraid. In fact bring it on, the sooner the better. I have a better promise waiting for me. I'm not saying I want to die, as if I have a miserable life, no quite the contrary. I am blessed with ,sorry Barbee, a strong healthy body, a sound mind and still vigorous. What I do mean is this world is a dying thing, and I'd rather get off it while the getting's good.The Muslims are coming, yada,yada, different forum, and while I'm not afraid of death, I have no idea if I could endure dying a Muslim torture session and remain faithful to my God.How can I know; there's no test for this. So it would be nice to exit before they come to my door.
My Mum was 60 when she left. She got up in the night to use the bathroom. She got about half way there. The autopsy said she was dead before she hit the floor. Now that's the way to go!She was a Believer. What's that got to do with anything? Well, make of it what you will, she suffered not.
In any case Barbee, glad to see you made it thru, and looking forward to reading many more of your posts.If I could cut off a piece of health and mail it to you, I wouldda done it a long time ago.
May the God of creation bless you and keep you until the day ordained for you to expire, and then be merciful in the reclaiming of his spirit,amen.

My Friend Mark had a major Heart surgery as well, i watched him recover, and he went through all sorts of emotions after. I guess the doctor said it would take him a year to feel his self again. But your brain and body are traumatized from the heart surgery.
I agree such an operation and the immediate recovery period is tramatizing for sure, physical and mentally... in my case I was in such bad shape with my arteries, I was in a bad mental state and I did not realize it. my wife did. 5 weeks after the surgery I feel lke a new man. I have been told by those that have experienced this, after a year I will feel like a teenager. I will see!
what I am trying to point out with this thread, is you are not feeling like you should, just because you are over 60 or 50, see a GOOD doctor and make it happen. get checked out for real!!!!!
I was lucky. I did not have to wait for ins. to approve my operation. I had been feeling "off" a couple of days. way more off than usual. I go to my general physician, he takes an EKG and wants to call an ambulance. I said, I feel OK we will drive that 30 mi down I 69 to N. Houston.. ( hospital later called him and blessed him out for not calling life flight....maybe they just wanted the $$$?) long story after that. but I did not have to get "permission" from Medicare and ins. co.!!!! at least! 2 stints, the Houston flood, generator power, open heart surgery, a total of 18 days there, it was hard. for a week my wife could not even get there, interstate and all roads there under water.
I asked God to give me more years with my wife. she needs me. He obliged.

Glad you're doing better. The older we get, the tougher it is for our bodies to heal.
I give thanks to the Lord for everyday I exist on this side of the grass.
I'm 67, and like you, I have a rough time with the SW Louisiana hot, humid, summer heat. It just kicks my butt after a few hours in it. About July, I've usually had enough and just "toss in the towel", pack up my truck and head off to Carlisle. After Carlisle, I head north to eastern Maine where I never see a day over 80 degrees...LOL...and stay there the rest of the summer. I come back here for the winter and work on my place, cars, etc. The humidity is the real killer for me and I'm trying to get m shop where I don't have to deal with it inside. My shop was built way back in the mid '70s with no insulation etc. It's sheetmetal and a few years back, I had it re-skinned and added insulation. That helped immensely. It's got a pair of 10'X12' roll-up doors that I could hardly lift anymore due to worn out springs etc. I rebuilt the doors and put automatic openers on em and insulated them. I'm trying to get to the point where I can air condition the joint so I can work out there longer when it gets hot & humid. I'm not a big fan of "gettin' old", but there's nothing anyone can do about it except take care of oneself the best you can....and give "thanks" for everyday that you have.

-
Back