On a Budget? Say No to Rear Disks

-

e50095

Reaction score
For the last couple years I've been working on my car and at times second guessing my decision to stay low buck and go with 11" rear drums on my car. As time goes by, I become more and more convinced it was the right call. The rear disk kits are great, but none of them, and I mean none of them, are available without going at least $750 deep, using non MOPAR and sometimes totally unknown parts, or requiring custom machine work that the entry level guy like me cannot do ourselves or easily source out. I know some would argue with the last part of that, but here's where I'm coming from. Backing plates to put 11" brakes on an 8.25 or 8.75 are readily available (same part) for less than $40 at a local junkyard. Drums, wheel cylinders, shoes, and all hardware are available at Rock Auto for less than $100. Even with shipping, the total outlay with new brake cables is less than $200.

Thats what I did, and I will use the saved 600-800 to buy frame connectors, sway bars, or possibly upgrade my cooling or ignititon system. I just have a problem with folks calling a $1000 rear disk setup a budget build. It's not, and to pretend otherwiae is folly. I think we would all agree that the amount of rear braking is negligible compared to the front. Good money meends to be spent on the front, and when I look at the 11" drums on the rear of mr car next to the puny 9" ones that came off, yes, it's definitely a budget worthy upgrade.

For those of you at this particular fork in the road, the backing plates can come off any Dodge van all the way into the late 90's, and they are thick in any junk yard. When ordering the rear brake parts, the choices are endless, but a safe play is a 76 Chrysler Cordoba, which all ahd this setup regardless of engine size. Parking brake cables are replacements if your existing ones, so order for your model. I replaced 9" drums with 11", and the stock cables on my 68 cuda worked fine.

Good luck with your projects guys....

Summit has a kit for less then 400 I believe...Did you see that..

DoctorDiff 10.7" econo rear disc brake kit includes loaded Cobra calipers with internal parking brake, 2 piece steel caliper brackets, rotors, stainless flex lines and hardware. All new parts $525

DoctorDiff 11.7" rear disc brake kit includes loaded Cobra calipers with internal parking brake, billet aluminum caliper brackets, drilled/slotted/plated rotors, stainless flex lines and hardware. All new parts $650

[email protected]

(406) 883-4772

I know some people say they have a budget build, but in reality it is a high dollar build.

What is a budget build anyways? I am staying within my budget to build my car, but it is not a low buck build in anyway.

As long as you are happy with what you build that is all that matters. Some like traditional builds and some are out of control.

I like to think that I am in the middle, but I could be wrong.

When building a car "never take food off the table to buy a part" If you can get away with the stock parts do it.

The key is to enjoy the build and later enjoy the car.

This is just my two cents

From what I've read the Jeep Cherokee rear discs are nearly a direct bolt on. A problem was found in wheel to caliper clearance though.

I think T-Granger hit it on the head. Ultimately we need to be happy with what we have. I also know folks that used the Dr. Diff stuff, and they are all happy. On the Summit cheap kit, it's $429 and does not come with pads. Add that and shipping and you're over $500. I'm more bothered by the use of non-MOPAR parts. I think that is whats at the heart of my problems with these kits, in addition to the money. I saw a Duster at a show that was absoluteky gorgeous, but had a small block Chevy in it. Although I can appreciate other makes of cars, that just didn;t seem right to me. I think ultimately I will go forward with the Cherokee swap one day a few years from now, once all the kinks are solved more easily than they are now. Good luck to everyone with their project..

Everybody has a different budget and use for their car . Your build sounds good , never had problems with rear drum brakes , of course I don't race on a road course . For the street and occasional run at the 1/4 mile I see no problem .
Enjoy the car that's the idea

e5,
if you have an 8 1/4" the jeep cherokee discs are a DIRECT bolt on, if you have an 8 3/4" it takes a little more time and effort but it still is a "budget" route to go and stay all MoPar.
Andrew

I have to completely agree. I can take it a step farther. I look in the wrecking yards for cars with new brakes and then there isn't anything else to buy........Makes it under $100.......

the jeep grand Cherokee rear disks go right onto an 8 1/4, very cheap and readily available at the junk yard..... But yes most of mine just have 11in rear drums

edit: Andrew beat me too it!

To OP,

I pretty much agree with you.

For me a "budget build" would be keeping a car running in stock condition. Or some peeps have a lot of car friends and are able to trade for parts or services, that would be ideal. Wish I was one of those peeps, my cousin is and he's been able to trade for some awesome stuff. All of my hotrod friends have moved away.

If you decide on a rear disk kit, give Dr. Diff a call.

I was thinking about volunteering at a local machine shop........would be able to learn a lot, and probably be able to have work done for free. Not sure how much free time you have , but that might be another angle.

Take it easy,

Bad Shrimp

P.S.
Nothing wrong with building a 4-wheel drum brake car either...........all kinds of hot rods out there with 4-wheel drums.
http://www.automedia.com/How_to_keep_Drum_Brakes_cool/res20051101db/1
http://www.vetteweb.com/features/vemp_0907_classic_c1_corvette_race_car/index.html

GM metric calipers, Lincoln rotors and a set of $25 brackets....

I always enjoy these conversations. I was once told by a Chrysler engineer that rear disc brakes weren't much of an improvement for a street car. They were mainly putting them on because of customer demand and the percieved improvement in safety. Roughly 95 percent of the driving public will never drive their brake system to the limits where it's needed.

What I love the most are the big wheel cars with stock sized brakes. Somewhere along the line, the tail started wagging the dog. Big wheels were originally introduced to clear larger brake systems. Now people are putting bigger brakes on to fill the holes in their rolling wheels. Unless of course you take into account the folks who put those horrible shiny flat discs behind their billet dubs. Next time you're at a car show, start talking to folks about unsprung weight and watch eyes glaze over.

What would be an all Mopar and budget friendly rear disc setup?

Cherokee for a 8.25 rear
Cordoba for 10-11 in rear drum 8.25 I can't afford those expensive conversion brake parts kit. Even Scarebird came out to over 600 for my Doba.

Cherokee for a 8.25 rear
Cordoba for 10-11 in rear drum 8.25 I can't afford those expensive conversion brake parts kit. Even Scarebird came out to over 600 for my Doba.

Yeah, I keep wanting to pull the junkyard trigger and do the Cherokee deal for my Val's 8.25, but I keep thinking I'm eventually going up to a bigger rear.
Money money money money money money.
Might just be happy with the 11x2s on the Val and the 12x2.5s on the Runner.

Yeah, I keep wanting to pull the junkyard trigger and do the Cherokee deal for my Val's 8.25, but I keep thinking I'm eventually going up to a bigger rear.
Money money money money money money.
Might just be happy with the 11x2s on the Val and the 12x2.5s on the Runner.

The Grand Cherokee is the best bang for the buck

I didn't say you should. But I will if I can beat other people to it. The parts at the local pull a part is extremely cheap

I actually hate getting up early to beat them birds to the worms. But, alas, I need parts for the Grand Wagoneer, also. So, it will probably happen sooner or later.

I actually hate getting up early to beat them birds to the worms. But, alas, I need parts for the Grand Wagoneer, also. So, it will probably happen sooner or later.

I don't get to go often

-
Back