One man hood mount and align.

-

hemitheus

19? Plymouth Scampenstein
Reaction score
Any advice on re-mounting a hood without help and getting your gaps right? Talk about an epic pain in the ascot.

Buy a 12 pack and have a buddy over! Pretty hard to handle an awkward hood by yourself! Good way to scratch paint, add dents and really frustrate yourself!

..drill a 3/32" hole through both mount and hood bracket on each side prior to removal.
re-install with a couple of 3" finishing nails and rear bolts for initial alignment.
you will be close
still requires help to get hood on

Yup, get help, the hood could also slide back off the hinge and the corner could hit your windshield and break it.

the way I did mine was to geat a good hold on the hood (duh) from the front and set it up on the hinges (again duh lol) ---It helps having holes in the hood for the hood scoop (actually, it helps a helluva lot having holes in the hood for the hood scoop).
Then I started a bolt in the front hole where it matched up with the hole in the spring on each side, then lift the hood up and put the back bolts in.
Then align as usual.

I actually did it twice last year on my Duster, because after I put it on the first time, I found out that the hinges had been bent over the years sitting, and the hood was about half an inch too far back.

Take a twenty dollar bill down to Home Depot.

I rolled up an old sleeping bag-- to keep it of the cowl /windshield area. place it in position & put the 2 bolts in , then move to other side & put those 2 bolts in -- lining up with the marks made b4 removing said hood-- go back to other side & line them up-- repeat until happy with alignment.!!. - a friend or wife makes it so much easier, Lawrence

You can do it by yourself it's not that difficult.

Remove all sharp objects and your belt

Stand the hood up on rags/ cardboard/ etc to protect the rear. You want the underside of the hood facing you, the painted side on the wall side. Again, cardboard, rags, etc.

Lay a long 2x4 across thick rags across the fenders just behind the latch. THICK

Hang rags over the hinges

Walk up to the hood, start to lay it down against your gut, stretch your arms out on the sides as far as you can and pick it up. Lay it right on top of the hinges and padded 2x4 This might be easier if you can prop the hood on a bench or other support so you can pick it up "flat" and tip the back UP, front low towards you

Now take 3--4 bike tie downs, hook one or two up front and up to a rafter, or install a good solid lag hook in the rafter (5/16")

Use straps on the rear as necessary also up to the rafters to position the hood, slowly adjust the straps to position the hood "up" in open position

Then start the forward bolts in the hinges, and make final adjustments with the straps until you can get the rear bolts in. If you have marked the hinges prior to removing, you will be very close

I'm 64 and have severe arthritis, and now can barely walk. I did this very procedure summer before last

Shouldve said- can anyone "show" me how to do this. Not advice on how to do it lol.

What 67Dart said kinda revived a distant memory from when I re-mounted my '68 GTX hood about 30 years ago. It was somewhat traumatic and I probably blocked it from my memory, but I did get it mounted with zero damage. And my nuts survived.

What 67Dart said kinda revived a distant memory from when I re-mounted my '68 GTX hood about 30 years ago. It was somewhat traumatic and I probably blocked it from my memory, but I did get it mounted with zero damage. And my nuts survived.

I'm not a big guy. But in the 70's when I owned my 70 RR with an air grabber hood, I could install it myself that way. I will admit I sat there a minute contemplating the damn thing!!!!

The B bodies are somewhat easier because of the hinge construction. As I recall you can start the front hinge bolts on a B with the front of the hood laying down on blocks/ rags. Then you have the rear safely located, all you need is someone/ or a sky hook to lift the front up and line up the rear bolt holes.

I did mine with a flattened beach ball, seriously! fill about 1/2 with air and set on your air cleaner. Lower hood onto ball so it is supported and loosen front bolts. REmove rear bolts one at a time and my hood pivoted off the rears on the fronts and is now laying a foot off the cowl. Now you can remove the front bolts and my hood balanced on the hinges enough for me to get the other side out and I was able to grab it and roll it forward on the ball enough to clear everything and grab it and move it. Getting it back on would be opposite, just get bolts snug enough to allow minute adjustments with your hands, then tighten.

I installed my GTS hood, not only by myself, but with one arm in a sling after rotator cuff surgery.

Connected a block and tackle to the front underside of the hood (on the hood latch loop).
Raised the hood up as high as I could get it, and tied it off.

Connected two motorcycle type tie downs to the rear of the hood, and connected them to the rafters.
Slowly raised the rear straps, a little at a time, first one side, then the other. Till the hood was hanging nearly flat, but high in the air.
Then drove the car under the hood, and started slowly lowering the rear straps, little at a time, one side then the other, till I had the bolt holes in the hood aligned with the hinges.
Bolted it on.
Alignment was a little tougher, had to wait for help on that with only one arm I couldn't align like i wanted and tighten the bolts at the same time.
Heres a few pics I took along the way.

When your working alone, you have to work smarter, not harder....lol

Attachments

• hood1.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 218
  • hood2.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 233
  • hood3.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 240
  • hood4.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 216
People put hoods back on once they take 'em off? Weird.

I held the hood with one hand like a serving tray, and the bolts and wrench in the other.

But actually, having a good neighbor stop by was made it pretty simple. Put a kegerator in your garage and helping hands magically appear after 7pm.

i do my own hood pull and re-installs myself. along with every engine pull and drops.
this is the biggest frickin hood ive ever done myself but with plenty of comforters and padding it is relatively easy if you have the reach LOL. A body hoods are nothing compared to this beast

Attachments

• a242.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 186
  • a254.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 206
-
Back