One more overheating problem

-

pushrod

70dart 340
Reaction score
My newest project is a '69 DART 440, .600 lift isky solid roller, headers, Be Cool radiator, aluminium high volume water pump,It does not run hot in town or at idle but got to 205 today on the interstate. Makes it want to vapor lock like an old flat head Ford. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your lower radiator hose might be collapsing. The factory put in a spring inside the hose for that very reason.
Rod

Hey Pushrod, these cars were designed for the smaller motors which didn't fill the engine bay as much.I think part of the answer is to get more air through the engine bay. If you running a hood scoop it will a huge differance if its functional, it forces that heat from the engine bay otherwise trapped there because of these big motors.Just my two cents worth!Best of luck.:wave:

what kind and temp of stat are you running? so you have a fan shroud?

pushrod said:
It does not run hot in town or at idle but got to 205 today on the interstate

The fact it dosn't overheat in town or idling eliminates fan and shroud issue. The fan and shroud are for low speed cooling only and serve no purpose at highway speeds where airflow thru the radiator is rammed thru by the very motion of the vehicle thru the air.

Heat buildup due to low airflow thru the engine compartment, is also not likely to be the issue, as again at highway speed there is plenty of air flow to prevent that from occuring.

Redfastback may be onto something, you are running a thermostsat right? No thermostat at all would allow the coolant to flow thru the radiator too fast to allow it to give up heat and too fast thru the engine to absorb heat, at highway speeds allowing heat to build up but would be fine at low speed. Good stat is a must.

I personaly agree with rklein383, sounds like the lower hose is collapsing at speed. Find and install a lower hose spring and you should be good.

Sorry about being off site but had to work today. I have a fiberglass hood with the scoop cut out. No Shroud or thermo. yet. I will be installing those this week. Also has a flex fan (mfg. unk.). Will hooking up the vaccuumm advance help also? Thnks for the help.

if you have a hi flow water pump and a stant thermostat, it can shut the thermostat since they open against the flow of water. using a milodon or mr gasket style, they open with the flow of water.

My newest project is a '69 DART 440, .600 lift isky solid roller, headers, Be Cool radiator, aluminium high volume water pump,It does not run hot in town or at idle but got to 205 today on the interstate. Makes it want to vapor lock like an old flat head Ford. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is 205 really that bad? I mean it was like 90 something degrees yesterday and my little 273 saw 205 a few times but didn't stay there long. In most part the temperture stays at 195. It has a 195 thermostat for some reason. The fellow I bought the car from had it installed. Thinking about going to a 180.

If your radiator cap is working correctly your lower hose will not collapse. Cooling systems operate at about 10 - 15psi, not much chance of collapsing a hose at that pressure.

I think the problem is like lil elephant says, you can't get air in thru the radiator if you can't get air out. I have had more than one engine swap that ran hot at speed because of this problem. Had to put more openings in the inner fender wells, and in one case I had the hood louvered towards the back, temps came right down.

Chuck

Just because you have a 15 psi radiator cap doesn't mean that you will have 15 psi throughout the entire cooling system. When a pump is working good, the suction pressure of the pump is significantly lower than the discharge pressure. If the lower hose is weak, it will collapse the hose even with a tight system because the pump is creating a vacuum at the suction of the pump. That is why Chrysler put a spring in the lower radiator hose, to prevent that very problem.
Rod

when was the last time i put a spring in a hose?? never. find a mopar dealer that sells them. i do agree if the hose is old and soft it can collapse, but new hoses are stiff and dont need a spring. i think he has other issues.

Well 205 mph will likely cause some high temps. Ice soaking it before a run is advised.

Responding to an eight year old post. Alrighty.

There is a section for jokes. If you have a problem post it up in a new thread. We have had a rash of old threads being resurrected which plugs up the works, 'til it works it's way through the system.
OOps I see you did . And possibly solved it too.

-
Back