Ongoing vibration issue

-
It's had 2 different converters with the same results. Both internal balance.
is there weights welded to them? I am not sure what you mean buy internal balance that usually applies to the engine. the thing is if it vibrates sitting still, its something in the moving parts while in neutral. Basically anything from the transmission tailshaft forward. The only time I had this issue it was a unbalanced pressure plate in a 4 speed setup, but Id be looking at similar areas, what about the flex plate etc? Mopar flex plates are a cross shaped peice of stamped steel but I wouldnt suspect that, Id suspect the converter because its heavy when its full of fluid.

I just copied this

"Agreed, there will be a weight, I just ran into this problem. My 340 that I just removed was internally balanced, but I needed a torque convertor for a stroker that was external balanced.

Summits sells kits with a weight and template. I would need to weld the weight on the neutral balance convertor."

from the following link: How To If Internally Balanced Torque Converter

don't know if it will help.

Vibration shows up at the same rpm while going down the road. No, the car isn't up on jack stands when tested. It vibrates at rest on all four wheels. If you are going up a hill and can keep the engine at a constant 3000 rpm, it will begin to pulsate. Increase the rpm to 4000 and it diminishes. Same at rest. I tried loosening the motor mount bolts to see if that might make a difference, but no change. Haven't tried anything with the tranni mount. I do have a Gear Vendors (OD). It does seem like the poly mounts are almost like solid mounts. Any vibration at idle (slightly rough due to the cam) is transferred to movement of the body. They were extremely tight in the K-frame. I used the original motor mounts, burned out the rubber, and inserted the poly inserts. I still would like to throw in another 727 just to rule it out. I say that because back in the 80's, when I first put the 727 in with the 340 and 410 gears, I had some vibration issues going down the road at about the same speed. I thought it was a drivetrain issue because it wasn't really noticeable at rest (rubber mounts), and my driveshaft was shortened without balancing. I even tried a counterweight on the tail housing. I finally put 323's back in and it was better at cruising speeds. This brings me back to the transmission since it is the only original thing left. That was a long time ago, so my memory of how it was is a little vague, but it did start after I installed that transmission.
So, the GV overdrive adds a new component to the problem. You might a problem there. They are known to have vibration issues due to driveshaft angle. But, that doesn't answer the vibration while sitting still. It could be more than one issue.
If you download the Tremec app, it has a feature that tells you if your angles are correct. Very easy to use. If you do try another transmission, I would leave the GV off for the test, so that you can eliminate that as a possibility.

-
Back