Votes: 17 6.9%
  • Speak up

Votes: 228 93.1%

• Total voters
-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
Last eve. I noticed a part for sale in the for sale section. Something struck me as being not right about the description and I respectfully asked the OP about it. He wasn't real happy with my question apparently from the answer he returned. I was then told by a member, not a moderator, that I broke the rules. No mention of what rules but I assume he meant I shouldn't post to an ad if I wasn't talking about buying it. So I've started this poll to see what everyone else thinks about it. The rules do state that we are not supposed to post to a for sale thread if we're not interested in it (in so many words). My point was the part was incorrectly described and I didn't want to see yet another person get ripped. After all we have had a rash of that happening lately. In some cases a person posts parts for sale thinking they are one thing and their not and my thought with my initial post was maybe that was the case. I'm still not saying the guy is a crook. I just don't think he knows what he's talking about. I won't post the thread here or what kind of part it is because that's irrelevant to my poll. My poll is to see how you feel about seeing parts incorrectly listed and if you should say something or not so please vote accordingly.

BTW: Awhile back I listed something incorrectly (torsion bars) and a member pointed it out. I'm glad he did cause it might have saved me a big headache and a lost friend. I didn't sell the part but that's fine. I never like to sell something that isn't what I say it is.

i think you were in the right. if i see something listed wrong i'd say something because i wouldnt want another person who may not be knowlegeable yet buying the part thinking its what it says then he/she gets it and its wrong and we get threads saying "i got ripped off!!! dont trust (insert name here)" weather the person listing is a scammer or just someone who accidently wrote the wrong thing people should know about it so they dont get the wrong part or get screwed.
my 2 cents

Great poll! If you are not questioning the price, just the application, then I think any member should be free to post to the thread. Like you said you arent questioning anyones integrity, you are just offering a little proactive advice. Save what could potentially be a messy situation.

I'm with you.
It's better to mention something than potentially hard feelings spreading across this site.
You were right as long as it was done in the way of clarification, not calling the O.P. a dumbass or a misrepresenter.
It's all in the way you word things.
I see no foul on your part.

Don't feel bad buddy.....you were doing what was right and making sure noone got burned because they thought thye were getting one tihng when it would have been all wrong.

If the OP got mad about it than that on them.....atleast you did what you could to help, I don't see that as a broken rule

I absolutely agree with you. You are merely pointing out an error (I'm assuming) that could lead to a potential misunderstanding.

All the above make absolute sense to me. Better to actually help out rather than ignore and see someone upset because the part isn't what the vendor was selling.

What good is a community if we don't look out for each other?

If you see a misleading or incorrect description of something for sale, speak up!

Just don't be rude.

I just went through my official For A Bodies Only rule book pamphlet thingy front to back and I did'nt see that rule anywhere.
rules? we don't need no stinkin rules!!

I voted speak up.

Tracy, I know which thread you are writing about.

I looked at it more from a clarification standpoint than deriding the part. There are different parts for those years and they are different from the 318 parts. Funny thing, the white books have some pretty significant errors in them. It may have been worded in a different fashion, but, it got answered which helped identify the items.

I sometimes do the same thing to clarify and get some pretty surly comments from people regarding the part clarifications. I don't care about the surly comments as long as someone doesn't buy something that's incorrectly described. Nobody wins in that case.

I personally think the "no commenting" rule is total BS. As long as you are asking a legit question and not dogging someone on price, go for it.

The rules do state that we are not supposed to post to a for sale thread if we're not interested in it (in so many words).

Our primary concern with that rule was to prevent people posting more subjective things like "no way that's worth what your asking" or something like that. I have no problem with you simply correcting an actual error.

I take it the loan "keep your nose out if vote" came from the person you offended? Just saying.

There's a difference between threadcrapping and asking a question. "Is that the *** part or the xxxx part, can you check the xxxxx and please clarify?" is fine. "Holy ****, $*** is way too much money for that part, I just saw one on ebay go for $xx" is not.

People are too sensitive. I didn't see the thread but chances are you're fine. Don't lose any sleep over it.

The bossman said it was ok. That should end the debate about that. But I'll add this. fishy, everybody on here knows you're a stand up guy. You're always helpin people and you have vast knowledge about Mopars. You're nothing but a total asset to this or any other community. So don't hold back brother. If the OP had a problem with what you did, then perhaps you smelled a rat indeed. Good call.

I think you were right.... and if the poster who called you a "rule breaker" wants to get technical. Didn't he break the rules more than you did? At least you asked about the parts.

I voted "Speak up". The only thing I might have done differently is, maybe PM a Mod and and bring the part confusion up to them and let them handle it. Folk's are a lot slower to try and grease a mod than a regular member. My 2 cents.

Jack

Shouldnt be a problem.I have been corrected.Sometimes it just happens.If you are not trying to scam,you shouldnt have a problem with it.

If I were to list a part for sale incorrectly, I would not mind at all if I was corrected. I dont want to sell anybody the wrong parts much less deal with the drama/cost that it could cause.

I'm a little surprised that there are currently 4 votes in the "keep your nose out of it" column. I thought we were here to help each other out? Pretty sad that we can't nicely say something to a parts seller without them getting bent about it? I've had my car for a long time and know a fair amount about it, but I am miles away from being an expert. I would be thankful if I had something described incorrectly and a more knowledgeable member helped me correctly describe it. It will save everyone involved headaches and heartaches. Thanks for speaking up.

-
Back